The Student Room Group
Reply 1
No its not you should get 15 minutes every 4 hours and 30 minute dinner!!
Reply 2
(1) An employer shall not require an employee to work for a period of more than 4 hours and 30 minutes without allowing him or her a break of at least 15 minutes.

(2) An employer shall not require an employee to work for a period of more than 6 hours without allowing him or her a break of at least 30 minutes; such a break may include the break referred to in subsection (1).

(3) The Minister may by regulations provide, as respects a specified class or classes of employee, that the minimum duration of the break to be allowed to such an employee under subsection (2) shall be more than 30 minutes (but not more than 1 hour).
Reply 3
Eámanë
hi i work for a famous pizza resturant and i only get twenty mins off if i work at least 6 hours to get 20 mins break.also if i was to work a twlve huor shift or nine hour shift i still only get twenty mins off, is this legal?

Depends how old u r.

If you are 18 then what they are doing is legal if you consent to doing it (except the 12 hours shift with a 20 min break that is ILLEGAL due to health and safety reasons)

Have a word with your boss and just say how you feel :smile:
Reply 4
yeah im 18 but surly twenty mins for even a six hour shift is illgeal
Reply 5
Eámanë
yeah im 18 but surly twenty mins for even a six hour shift is illgeal

It is, complain.
Is the pizza place run by a manager or run as a franchise? if its run by a manager and its a big chain its very unlikely that theyre breaking the law. Rather than accusing them its probably better to negotiate a break - its unlikely that theyll refuse to let you have an unpaid break when youre on the longer shift. Alternatively look for another job maybe :wink:
Reply 7
its a chain company, so is it nto illegal then?
Nearly all workers have the right not to have to work for more than 48 hours on average, a week. Night workers cannot work an average of more than eight hours in each 24 hour period. Workers aged 18 and over (adult workers) are entitled to one day off each week. Workers aged 16-18 (adolescent workers) are entitled to two days off each week. Adult workers are entitled to eleven hours consecutive rest per day, and a minimum 20 minute rest break if their working day is longer than six hours. Adolescent workers are entitled to 12 hours consecutive rest per day, and a minimum 30 minute rest break if they work for longer than four and a half hours

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/onelife/work/rights/law_hols.shtml

"if you work for more than eight hours a day you must have a one hour break."
Reply 9
Eámanë
hi i work for a famous pizza resturant and i only get twenty mins off if i work at least 6 hours to get 20 mins break.also if i was to work a twlve huor shift or nine hour shift i still only get twenty mins off, is this legal?

Pizza Hut.
Reply 10
Bhaal85
Pizza Hut.

My friend worked for said company and got the same breaks as you do. It is illegal - you should get 1/2 and hour for a 6 hour shift. Ask some fellow employees what they get,and tell them its illegal, and then tell the manager that a few of you are unhappy. If he/she says its tough, then get a job elsewhere, where they give you correct breaks. You could always report them to a working standards agency and see what happens.
Reply 11
Chicken
My friend worked for said company and got the same breaks as you do. It is illegal - you should get 1/2 and hour for a 6 hour shift. Ask some fellow employees what they get,and tell them its illegal, and then tell the manager that a few of you are unhappy. If he/she says its tough, then get a job elsewhere, where they give you correct breaks. You could always report them to a working standards agency and see what happens.

Sure it wasn't K-F-C? lol. Just messin. Yeah, I totally agree with you on that last point.

Latest

Trending

Trending