Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi im looking to set up a new bank account for when i go to uni. Hopefully this account will just be used fro my student loan, so im looking for a good account that has quite a high rate of interest when i have money, but wont charge me if i go over drawn when i dont!!!
    I have an unconditional offer but do you think it is best to wait untill nearer the end of the summer as most banks will have offers abd give me freebies?

ReputationRep:
    I know most banks want a copy of your acceptance letter which you get after results in August before they'll give you a student account,but as you've got an unconditional offer I'm not sure if this still applies!

ReputationRep:
    The student loan form asks for you to fill out your bank details now. I want to change to a new account, in a different bank, which I can only get in August!

ReputationRep:
    When you do get your loan, take it out of your current student account and stick it in an ISA. 5% interest, max pay in of £3000 a year. Free money!

ReputationRep:
    Is that legal??!!

ReputationRep:
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Checking for Spies)
    I know most banks want a copy of your acceptance letter which you get after results in August before they'll give you a student account,but as you've got an unconditional offer I'm not sure if this still applies!
    Royal Bank of Scotland only wanted an offer letter. I cleverly sent them my offer letter from Edinburgh despite having accepted Manchester's offer. Therefore, I will get a whole extra year of an interest free overdraft given that they expect me to graduate in 2007 when it will actually be 2006!

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know what HSBC ask for? Offer letter? Or acceptance letter?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    You can normally open a "pre student" account before you've been accepted, where you dont get the overdraft but it's easily converted.

ReputationRep:
    Barclays have a great student account. The interest rate is rubbush, but you get a £1,500 interest free overdraft. (really useful in the weeks before loan day!)

ING Direct have a savings account that pays 5%.

I've got almost all my money with ING earning interest, and a bit keeping the Barclays account going in case I need the overdraft again.

ReputationRep:
    Do all of the banks tend to differ greatly between what offers they have, or is there a general student account, obviously they'll have slight differences, but do some offer much better deals than others?

I'm yet to start looking, but any advice before I do, ie which banks have the best offers would be helpful!

ReputationRep:
    The 5 Year railcard is always good, esp. if you're a regular train user. HSBC and Natwest did these last year.

And the ISA thing isn't illegal, it's just removing money from one of your accounts and putting it into a savings (huuuge interest) acocunt!

ReputationRep:
    does anyone know of a good high interest savings account. im bored of skint!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clodagh)
    The 5 Year railcard is always good, esp. if you're a regular train user. HSBC and Natwest did these last year.

And the ISA thing isn't illegal, it's just removing money from one of your accounts and putting it into a savings (huuuge interest) acocunt!
    What happens if you're already with one of these banks now, do you think they will still offer you the free railcard when you change over to a student account, although you're not a NEW customer?

ReputationRep:
    Yep, just go in and ask for an upgrade, and you'll still get your freebies!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ariel4)
    does anyone know of a good high interest savings account. im bored of skint!
    ISA, 5% interest., get them at any bank. You can pay in up to £3000 a year tax free! and you have a debit card if you want to do transactions as well.

ReputationRep:
    ISA, 5% interest., get them at any bank. You can pay in up to £3000 a year tax free! and you have a debit card if you want to do transactions as well.
    Do you need to be 18 for one?

ReputationRep:
    cool, thanks. i will try and do that when i get my next installement through.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luize)
    Do you need to be 18 for one?
    Don't know....but, you can always get your parents to open one in their name and give them your money to put in if you're under 18. (Everyone's only allowed one ISA though).

ReputationRep:
    Don't know....but, you can always get your parents to open one in their name and give them your money to put in if you're under 18. (Everyone's only allowed one ISA though).
    whoops, ive got 2

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.