The Student Room Group

Advice please... :(

Having a horrible day. I applied to be a field instructor with PGL from Feb-July last November. I have been rejected from this as the places have all been filled by people who can start in January (I have interviews for university places so cant start until Febuary). They said they still have positions as activity leaders etc, however when I rang them up this morning they said my availability dates aren't as long as they were looking for. So I'm not holding out much hope for that.

I honestly thought I would get this job and am absolutely gutted. I really want to work with children in my gap year as I'm hoping to do a PGCE in 2009, so are there any other companies people can suggest I apply to as a back-up? I've tried JCA but already been rejected, though I don't know on what grounds as the application form was literally just my name and address. I've also e-mailed kidsklub and Kingswood.

Any ideas, please help!

Thanks
I'm starting Kingswood in 9 days.

Activity Instructor is an apprenticeship scheme, so you can't have been in uni, or been accepted to one. It lasts for a full calendar year, I'm starting on the January the 29th so I'll finish January the 29th in 2010.

However, that is just the apprenticeship scheme I'm doing, they might have other stuff on offer, so you should phone them, explain your situation, and cross your fingers. Good luck!
Reply 2
Don't be too dissapointed, plent more jobs out there. Have you tried the YHA Do it for Real camps? They are pretty similar to PGL and look a really fun job!

Here are links to a list of summer camps who offer jobs similar to PGL:

Summer Camp Operators UK & Worldwide
http://www.summercampworldwide.com/1-How-Worldwide.htm

Summer Camp Operators USA
http://www.summercampworldwide.com/1-How-USA.htm

Have you also thought about doing Camp America or something similar in North America?

Hope you find something!
Reply 3
Which uni's are your interviews at? & why are they in January?
Original post by flown_muse
I'm starting Kingswood in 9 days.

Activity Instructor is an apprenticeship scheme, so you can't have been in uni, or been accepted to one. It lasts for a full calendar year, I'm starting on the January the 29th so I'll finish January the 29th in 2010.

However, that is just the apprenticeship scheme I'm doing, they might have other stuff on offer, so you should phone them, explain your situation, and cross your fingers. Good luck!

have u completed the course? i have an interview in 1 hour lol, and from what ive seen it looks really awesome, could you tell me how you found it :smile:
Original post by hasan4life
have u completed the course? i have an interview in 1 hour lol, and from what ive seen it looks really awesome, could you tell me how you found it :smile:

I completed it and got my apprenticeship back in 2009. It was meant to take a year, but I had personal problems and needed to go home early, so I completed it in 6 months.

It was definitely an experience. How much you enjoy it will depend on your personality. At the end of the six months I was a qualified fencing instructor, TEFL trained, and taught quadbiking, abseiling, rock climbing etc.

Can't think of anything else to say, let me know if you have specific questions.

Good luck!
I completed it and got my apprenticeship back in 2009. It was meant to take a year, but I had personal problems and needed to go home early, so I completed it in 6 months.

It was definitely an experience. How much you enjoy it will depend on your personality. At the end of the six months I was a qualified fencing instructor, TEFL trained, and taught quadbiking, abseiling, rock climbing etc.

Can't think of anything else to say, let me know if you have specific questions.

Good luck!

ah cool thanks, looks awesome. what happens on the assessment days? and can you choose what sports u want to be qualified in?
ah cool thanks, looks awesome. what happens on the assessment days? and can you choose what sports u want to be qualified in?

Ooft, now you're asking! Honestly having a hard time remembering.

Assessment day was in Wrexham, Wales. We had to fill in and pay for a CRB check, £20(?) which would be refunded in your pay if you got the job.
Had typical competency based interview - think of a time you lead a team, etc etc.
Had team exercises in the woods, puzzle based things to see how you worked in a team, do you take charge, are you having fun, what's your general attitude, are you participating etc? You can tell when they've seen enough of you, they asked me and a few other people to be quiet and appointed people as team leaders to get them to speak more!
So, stuff like right, everyone has to move from X to Y over this pole, but you must have spotters, and a leader who tells you what to do, you can't move until they tell you, etc.
Might have been a poster making thing?

That's all I can remember right now, but bear in mind this was a few years ago now and things may have drastically changed.

The hardest part of it all once you're working there is them organising the scheduling. Expect not to do much at first since you're not trained in much. They have to train you, but also balance training up people who have missed sessions in the past. This can mean you may not be trained in what you want. I wanted archery so bad, and was very vocal about it. I got fencing instead. On the other hand, I got TEFL, and zipwire/abseil/rock climbing that I wanted. I was based at the Hexham camp in England, and my favourite classes were Saving Swampy. I loved the educational ones, which is why they put me more towards the fencing/TEFL, more educational ones I guess.
Again, this may have all changed.

What site you thinking about?

If you get in, it will definitely be a benefit. Everything has a downside of course, and there are hard and boring parts of the job, but it's a great opportunity, and will be brilliant for CV. It will be a learning experience for you and the kids.

Best of luck!
Ooft, now you're asking! Honestly having a hard time remembering.

Assessment day was in Wrexham, Wales. We had to fill in and pay for a CRB check, £20(?) which would be refunded in your pay if you got the job.
Had typical competency based interview - think of a time you lead a team, etc etc.
Had team exercises in the woods, puzzle based things to see how you worked in a team, do you take charge, are you having fun, what's your general attitude, are you participating etc? You can tell when they've seen enough of you, they asked me and a few other people to be quiet and appointed people as team leaders to get them to speak more!
So, stuff like right, everyone has to move from X to Y over this pole, but you must have spotters, and a leader who tells you what to do, you can't move until they tell you, etc.
Might have been a poster making thing?

That's all I can remember right now, but bear in mind this was a few years ago now and things may have drastically changed.

The hardest part of it all once you're working there is them organising the scheduling. Expect not to do much at first since you're not trained in much. They have to train you, but also balance training up people who have missed sessions in the past. This can mean you may not be trained in what you want. I wanted archery so bad, and was very vocal about it. I got fencing instead. On the other hand, I got TEFL, and zipwire/abseil/rock climbing that I wanted. I was based at the Hexham camp in England, and my favourite classes were Saving Swampy. I loved the educational ones, which is why they put me more towards the fencing/TEFL, more educational ones I guess.
Again, this may have all changed.

What site you thinking about?

If you get in, it will definitely be a benefit. Everything has a downside of course, and there are hard and boring parts of the job, but it's a great opportunity, and will be brilliant for CV. It will be a learning experience for you and the kids.

Best of luck!

ah cool thanks :smile: thats helpful, i think it would be similar to urs, did u have to stay for 2 days? do u get ur first choice camp? how do they decide what activites u can teach? im not sure yet, dearne valley which is close to me, just opened last year or peak district are my first choice, but i quite like the isle of wight too.
Yeah, it was 2 or 3 days if I remember correctly. I got my first choice - again I was very vocal! If you're not fussed, it's excellent, but I didn't want to go anywhere else because there I would still be 3-4 hours away from home and my fiancee.

Activities you teach- again they will listen to your preferences, but you will get trained very quickly in basic classes, and it will take a bit longer until you get fencing/archery, rock climbing. It's all based on scheduling, as that's the most complex thing.

Isle is always popular. I visited Peak District at one point for one of the training classes, it is good, but quite rural. No idea about Dearne Valley.

Please come back and let me know how you get on :smile:
ah cool thanks :smile: thats helpful, i think it would be similar to urs, did u have to stay for 2 days? do u get ur first choice camp? how do they decide what activites u can teach? im not sure yet, dearne valley which is close to me, just opened last year or peak district are my first choice, but i quite like the isle of wight too.

So what happened? :smile:
So what happened? :smile:

i got through :biggrin: im at the dearne valley campus :smile:
i got through :biggrin: im at the dearne valley campus :smile:

Yay! Congrats :smile:
Reply 13
Heya, i have a two day interview at dearne valley on the 8th and 9th August! just wondering what actually did happen during the assesment?

Quick Reply

Latest