Turn on thread page Beta

Jus wondering if anyone here took the BMAT today? I found it absolutely awful n need some reassuring. Found I had hardly anytime to complete it n ended up guessing quite a bit of it. Jus hope it hasnt completely wrecked my chances for Cambridge!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxxx)
    Jus wondering if anyone here took the BMAT today? I found it absolutely awful n need some reassuring. Found I had hardly anytime to complete it n ended up guessing quite a bit of it. Jus hope it hasnt completely wrecked my chances for Cambridge!
    I'm sure it hasn't - my friend thought it was absolutely terrible and she was saying the same thing! If everyone's went so bad, perhaps it's not as disastrous as you think, since all the marks (and hence opinions raised about them) will be relative. Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxxx)
    its not the 'be all and end all' but a good BMAT definitely helps your application. You'll be graded against the others who took it, so if it was a very hard test, then you still may have done ok. Just forget about it (apart from the essays) because you won't know the mark until after you are accepted/rejected, concentrate fully on the interview at cam and the other unis.

(Original post by DanMushMan)
    its not the 'be all and end all' but a good BMAT definitely helps your application. You'll be graded against the others who took it, so if it was a very hard test, then you still may have done ok. Just forget about it (apart from the essays) because you won't know the mark until after you are accepted/rejected, concentrate fully on the interview at cam and the other unis.
    Thanks for that.
    Noticed u r a medic at Magdalene. U like it there? What was ur interview like? Im applying to Catz, u know ne medics there?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxxx)
    I took it today too. And you're definitely not the only one who found it hard - I guessed loads of the answers and found myself rushing as I only had 10 minutes or so to spare and still had about 10 questions to do! It's meant to be challenging, so don't worry about it. Are our results psychometrically analysed? If they are, I wouldn't be surprised if they deduce I'm some kinda mentally retarded nutcase, based on my random answer guessing. Best thing to do is just not to worry about it if one person found it hard, loads will have done.

What have you applied to study anyway?

ReputationRep:
    Hey

I took the BMAT today and found it really hard!!! So that might make you feel better!
    I mean, you can't actually physically answer that number of questions in such a short amount of time! It's impossible! I found the second paper particularly hard as it was only 30 minutes - that's a minute per question!!! - and I don't do physics.
    What did everyone do the essay on? I did the body part selling discussion one - but I might have completely gone done the wrong track! Could have written more, but you only get 1 side.

Oh well, it's over at least. Nothing more we can do now!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxxxx)
    Thanks for that.
    Noticed u r a medic at Magdalene. U like it there? What was ur interview like? Im applying to Catz, u know ne medics there?
    I do like it here. The interviews were fine, generally they want to know that you can follow their train of thought, they'll lead you to answers, and hope you say the right thing. I can't recall any Catz medics specifically, but I'm sure I do know one or two.

lol. Im applying for medicine at Cambridge, wot about u?

ReputationRep:
    I'm applying for medicine at Pembroke, Cambridge, if anyone wanted to know!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxx)
    lol. Im applying for medicine at Cambridge, wot about u?
    Vet Med here.

(Original post by Theblackangel)
    What did everyone do the essay on? I did the body part selling discussion one - but I might have completely gone done the wrong track! Could have written more, but you only get 1 side.
    I did the "a bit of learning is a dangerous thing" - number 2. My entire answer could probably be replaced by the words "ramble, ramble and ramble some more", and still mean the same thing. It was so rubbish!

For the essay I did the organ one too. went on bout corruption etc.
    I agree, there was no where near enough time but that was prob the idea of it. evil person who set it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxxx)
    For the essay I did the organ one too. went on bout corruption etc.
    I agree, there was no where near enough time but that was prob the idea of it. evil person who set it!
    was there also a compulsory essay?

No, there was jus one essay, i think with the mvat there used to be two. Now you're given 30 minutes to write an essay from a choice of 4.

ReputationRep:
    My entire answer could probably be replaced by the words "ramble, ramble and ramble some more", and still mean the same thing.
    lol !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!

Mine too!!!

I think mine should give them a laugh anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxxx)
    No, there was jus one essay, i think with the mvat there used to be two. Now you're given 30 minutes to write an essay from a choice of 4.
    ooh, maybe they don't want to read the essays! From what is seems they were all quite random in topic, whereas we had one general essay (sort of like the things you've been saying) then a choice from 4 (on the 3 sciences/maths questions). I also think we may have had a bit longer, although it could've only been an hour.
    (PS I really liked the MVAT, it was much more fun than any of the A-level exams!)

Did u do really well in it? Did most ppl u know? jus want 2 know i ppl do get in having crapped it up.

hiya.. i took it today at hills road.
    it was hard. i finished section 1 but section 2 was so hard! i must say i guessed about 3/4 answers. as for the essay, i did the organ one as did everyone else by the sound of it. it was very ramble bamble blah blah bull... hehe
    tp x

ReputationRep:
    hey all. Im from Northern ireland, ive applied to cambridge for medicine. I thought the bmat was rough alright, especially paper 1 rest were ok i thought. Anyone else any comments!!!???

ReputationRep:
    BMAT was really hard. How much weight will it be given at Cambridge since they are piloting it this year?

ReputationRep:
    I dont know man, hope it wont be looked upon too much!! I would say the interview is the main thing, has to be like!! what college have u applied to and what are you intending to study??

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 10, 2003
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.