The Student Room Group

Transfer from RHUL to UCL/LSE/Bristol/Bath

I have a friend in her first year of a Bsc Economics Degree at Royal Holloway. So far she has got top grades. However she doesn't enjoy it because the social life is dead. She wants to transfer somewhere such as UCL/LSE/Bristol/Bath for her second year.

What are the factors affecting this? Will her GCSE's and Alevels have an impact or just her performance at RHUL this year? Her alevels were (AAA), Maths - Business and Economics (or AAAA) + French I'm not sure. I'm not sure what advice to give her. Her GCSE's were poor with only 1 A in Maths. But she got top grades in everything this year at RHUL. What are her chances? Will she have to transfer to a first year? Will she still be able to take a student loan?
Reply 1
Well she can always ask. But the 1st years will be different as well as her academics not being stand out (BTW was French at A-level?), hence I don't think her chances are great.
Reply 2
But the year hasn't even ended yet, how on earth did she get top grades this year, especially when the UoL system is strongly based on end of year exams :s-smilie: But anyways, she may have a chance with UCL, Bristol and Bath if she applied to enter the first year again but LSE....no chance really.
Reply 3
The best thing she can do is ask. Mind, AFAIAA, Bristol don't accept second year entrants unless they're from LSE (or at least I remember reading that on the website).

She should also consider some lesser (but still better than RHUL) universities such as Southampton and Birmingham (maybe even Manchester).
.ACS.
Bristol don't accept second year entrants unless they're from LSE (or at least I remember reading that on the website).

i'm guessing they get very very very very few then
Reply 5
danj123
I have a friend in her first year of a Bsc Economics Degree at Royal Holloway. So far she has got top grades. However she doesn't enjoy it because the social life is dead. She wants to transfer somewhere such as UCL/LSE/Bristol/Bath for her second year.

What are the factors affecting this? Will her GCSE's and Alevels have an impact or just her performance at RHUL this year? Her alevels were (AAA), Maths - Business and Economics (or AAAA) + French I'm not sure. I'm not sure what advice to give her. Her GCSE's were poor with only 1 A in Maths. But she got top grades in everything this year at RHUL. What are her chances? Will she have to transfer to a first year? Will she still be able to take a student loan?

Your friend thinks the social life in Royal Holloway is dead ???

Its called Royal Holiday for a reason.
I know of an outstanding student at Holloway who transferred to Cambridge for Economics.
Reply 7
My dream is to do that when I am at Royal Holloway for Economics!
I'm not counting on it though, but Cambridge for Economics, WOW!
Original post by astudent
Your friend thinks the social life in Royal Holloway is dead ???

Its called Royal Holiday for a reason.

why?
i'm still an applicant and i don't know where to go.. but, may I ask why lots of people think that royal holloway is not a good university ? :confused:
Original post by Babylon By Bus
I know of an outstanding student at Holloway who transferred to Cambridge for Economics.

Did they have to write a whole new personal statement again or did they just use the one from the previous admissions cycle?

Quick Reply

Latest