Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I hear everyone talking of firsts seconds and thirds etc but whats does it actually mean?

Are there set %'s and things, is it just 1st 2nd and 3rd? whats a 1:2??

Thanks
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by knightsy)
    I hear everyone talking of firsts seconds and thirds etc but whats does it actually mean?

Are there set %'s and things, is it just 1st 2nd and 3rd? whats a 1:2??

Thanks
    It varies by subject and department...although the quality required for a first is (in theory) the same regardless of uni/subject.

The easiest match is that a 1st=distinction, 2i=merit and 2ii=pass (and 3rd = pass by the skin of your teeth)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    It varies by subject and department...although the quality required for a first is (in theory) the same regardless of uni/subject.

The easiest match is that a 1st=distinction, 2i=merit and 2ii=pass (and 3rd = pass by the skin of your teeth)
    so what overall would you need like percentages to get an 1st does anyone know ?

ReputationRep:
    They've told us that 60% is equivalent to a 1st (Physics at Birmingham).
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by hotnanoo)
    so what overall would you need like percentages to get an 1st does anyone know ?
    Like I say it varies by subject and uni. For instance in Geology at Southampton it took 70% to get a first (60% for a 2i, 50% 2ii and 40% 3rd) however almost no exams were quantative - they were all essay based exams and there is no set marking scheme like at A level/GCSE the markers just used their own judgement as to whether an answer was ok, good or outstanding and then tagged a %age on that matched it roughly...the %ages were just used as a way of combining the module grades into an overall grade.

ReputationRep:
    70-75 depending on which uni you are at is a 1st
    60+ 2.1
    50+ 2.2
    45+ 3rd I think at most unis I might be slightly off track on the 3rd percentage though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)

Thats not technically true:

1st - highest
    2:1
    2:2
    Pass - lowest

ReputationRep:
    In the course I am doing at the moment because it is a masters you have to get over 50% to pass

ReputationRep:
    so what would be a first at a top uni for say law like oxford or Manchester 80% which i presume is hard to get or everyone would be getting them

ReputationRep:
    70% is a first in law at Sheffield Uni I think.

ReputationRep:
    so what would be a first at a top uni for say law like oxford or Manchester 80% which i presume is hard to get or everyone would be getting them
    Please use punctuation, it's a bit hard to understand what you mean without it.

ReputationRep:
    The law department at Uni of East Anglia is top 10 I think in the league tables for law, and according to my housemate who does law, in the past 3 years they have only awarded 1 first because its that difficult. Don't wanna put you off though!!!

ReputationRep:
    at oxford it is 70% is a first for law, 60% 2.1, 50% 2.2

(Original post by tagzt)
    at oxford it is 70% is a first for law, 60% 2.1, 50% 2.2
    are you seeing the matrix tonight at odeon magdalen street? Im there!

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.