So how do degree grades work?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
knightsy
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
I hear everyone talking of firsts seconds and thirds etc but whats does it actually mean?

Are there set %'s and things, is it just 1st 2nd and 3rd? whats a 1:2??

Thanks
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by knightsy)
I hear everyone talking of firsts seconds and thirds etc but whats does it actually mean?

Are there set %'s and things, is it just 1st 2nd and 3rd? whats a 1:2??

Thanks
It varies by subject and department...although the quality required for a first is (in theory) the same regardless of uni/subject.

The easiest match is that a 1st=distinction, 2i=merit and 2ii=pass (and 3rd = pass by the skin of your teeth)
hotnanoo
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Pencil Queen)
It varies by subject and department...although the quality required for a first is (in theory) the same regardless of uni/subject.

The easiest match is that a 1st=distinction, 2i=merit and 2ii=pass (and 3rd = pass by the skin of your teeth)
so what overall would you need like percentages to get an 1st does anyone know ?
Nylex
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
They've told us that 60% is equivalent to a 1st (Physics at Birmingham).
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by hotnanoo)
so what overall would you need like percentages to get an 1st does anyone know ?
Like I say it varies by subject and uni. For instance in Geology at Southampton it took 70% to get a first (60% for a 2i, 50% 2ii and 40% 3rd) however almost no exams were quantative - they were all essay based exams and there is no set marking scheme like at A level/GCSE the markers just used their own judgement as to whether an answer was ok, good or outstanding and then tagged a %age on that matched it roughly...the %ages were just used as a way of combining the module grades into an overall grade.
viviki
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
70-75 depending on which uni you are at is a 1st
60+ 2.1
50+ 2.2
45+ 3rd I think at most unis I might be slightly off track on the 3rd percentage though.
:P:P:P:P:P
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Pencil Queen)

Thats not technically true:

1st - highest
2:1
2:2
Pass - lowest
viviki
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
In the course I am doing at the moment because it is a masters you have to get over 50% to pass
hotnanoo
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
so what would be a first at a top uni for say law like oxford or Manchester 80% which i presume is hard to get or everyone would be getting them
viviki
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
70% is a first in law at Sheffield Uni I think.
Nylex
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
so what would be a first at a top uni for say law like oxford or Manchester 80% which i presume is hard to get or everyone would be getting them
Please use punctuation, it's a bit hard to understand what you mean without it.
Chicken
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
The law department at Uni of East Anglia is top 10 I think in the league tables for law, and according to my housemate who does law, in the past 3 years they have only awarded 1 first because its that difficult. Don't wanna put you off though!!!
tagzt
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
at oxford it is 70% is a first for law, 60% 2.1, 50% 2.2
chch
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by tagzt)
at oxford it is 70% is a first for law, 60% 2.1, 50% 2.2
are you seeing the matrix tonight at odeon magdalen street? Im there!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you feel comfortable going back to school on March 8th?

Yes (384)
32.16%
No (810)
67.84%

Watched Threads