french or german for a level some of u guys must have done it Watch

This discussion is closed.
David C
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Sorry guys to post here but i need some help tonite. Shud i do french or german for a level? Whats your experiences? I have to hand in my choices tomorow!
Mrs Rickman
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
i'm doing german A-level atm and it's really fun! Pick Deutsch!
ponjavic
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I had french for five years, allthough it has tought me much and I know have easier for other languages it's been a horrible experience and I hope to never have to read a french book again!
RachelBabyfrog
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I did German AS Level, and I loved it apart from one of the teachers... my friends are doing French A Level and advise anyone who will listen not to do it!
Angel_Cake
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I guess this is probably too late...beware that you'll probably find them both really hard! It's a big step from GCSE to AS-level languages. You might be the exception of course, but a lot of people at my school regretted taking them. I loved languages though and did both - I'd say choose the one you like best because then you'll work harder. It might be worth thinking about whichever one you can speak better too, as that generally counts for a lot in exams these days. And finally, make sure you go to whichever country that the language you choose is spoken in - it will help SO much!
caffecooki
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
i did French AS and i wish i hadn't our 6th form has a bad rep for french so that didn't help though, but the whole group of 11 dropped it. Having said that, two people i know did French and German and both kept German on and are really enjoying it
So German's looking the better option, however that might just be at my school!
kellywood_5
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
It's not even possible to do German at my school unless you go over to one of the local grammar schools for your lessons, and the school pays for you to go there and back in a taxi. Only about 2 people wanted to do AS German anyway, and once they found out they had to do that, they didn't want to do it anymore. There are 5 of us doing AS French, used to be 6, but one dropped it after about 3 lessons lol.
kaisersalsek
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I hope you chose french... GCSE grades are nothing to go by - I got an A* for german GCSE and dropped to a C in my first As level takes. Nevertheless, I've retaken and will find out my retake results soon! Thing is, even the anglo-german foundation thinks they set the german A level exams too hard....
kaisersalsek
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
oh, I forgot to say, I love german though
steve2k5
Report 13 years ago
i think french a level is really interesting, and fun (but maybe thats just my teacher lol) but i really enjoy it (im doin it at uni so i must do! lol) and im really glad i took it!
Richy Rich$$
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
id say do both. i didnt find the step to AS very difficult, its A2 when its gets harder. Or you could do say u wanna do both then drop the one you dont like after half a term or something

EDIT: Sorry just realised the date. What did u choose then?
David C
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Picked German, thanks very much for all the comments guys
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (38)
27.14%
No - I got the required grades (84)
60%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (18)
12.86%

Watched Threads