This discussion is closed.
Tipex-Mouse
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
i've applied to St. John's Cambridge, but I don't really know much about it apart from what it looks like. Please could people tell me about it, like what the college stereotypes is, whether it's true, whether i would be likely to fit in. (I'm from a private school but you wouldn't ever know it unless i told you. I'm interested in: music from drum n bass to classical, music-minded people, left-wing politics, football, ultimate frisbee, and good food!)

if st. john's happens to be a stuffy, boring college with a right-wing reputation and appaling chefs then... concentrate on the finer points of the college architecture :-)

if you're wondering about my username, i looked at my desk for inspiration...
Ralfskini
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
My sister is on a gap year now and she is going to st johns next year to study mfl. I dont know anything about it ,though.
Allotriophagy
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I applied to John's too, for law. Frankly, I find it quite bizarre that people make applications based on next to nothing, but there you go.

http://www.joh.cam.ac.uk Their website has, surprisingly, quite a bit of information on the college.

It's 60% male and music is VERY important to the college, especially choral. I think jazz is getting back together again there.

Sports are very well catered for, I imagine. John's has its own sports grounds.

Second biggest college after Trinity and probably just as rich. Food I've had in the buttery tasted fine but I've never been interested in food much.

Accomodation is nice too. Cripps looks quite grim from the outside but inside is lovely. The older buildings are a bit like little mini flats. Also nice, if a little ancient.

There is a bit of a heavy drinking rugby lad culture, apparently. But who cares! All the people I've met from John's have been jolly decent.

(Excellent library and computer facilities too.)

Depending on where you live, it may not be TOO late to go take a look around and get a little tour. Though at this late stage, I'd be too embarrassed to ask. :P

a.
UFG
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
look on the cambridge alternative prospectus - that's the best way of findin out bout what colleges are really like

good thing bout st johns tho - big college so no real stereotype
Ralfskini
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by UFG)
look on the cambridge alternative prospectus - that's the best way of findin out bout what colleges are really like

good thing bout st johns tho - big college so no real stereotype
I heard it had a posh, 'rugby lad' stereotype.
Allotriophagy
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
http://www.cusu.cam.ac.uk/publicatio...s/stjohns.html

There you go.

a.
purple
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
I've applied there too, for Engineering.
Its the 2nd biggest college in Cambridge, and is also one of the richest and very pretty.

The alternative prospectus says:

Five best things

Relaxed and friendly atmosphere
Facilities are great, with societies catering for all tastes
May Ball/Great Ents
Accommodation for 3/4 years in a beautiful old building located centrally
Generous grants for almost anything

Five worst things

Drinking culture can be obsessive, especially amongst rugby lads
Some cliqueyness
Some sense of anonymity in such a large college
Can become introverted with so many facilities on offer
Easy to get things out of proportion
Tek
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Ralfskini)
My sister is on a gap year now and she is going to st johns next year to study mfl. I dont know anything about it ,though.
Do you mean MML? If not, pray tell, what is 'mfl'?
UnregisteredP
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Tek)
Do you mean MML? If not, pray tell, what is 'mfl'?
Modern Foreign Languages - e.g. French/Italian/German etc.
tagzt
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by UFG)

not always since someone from the college writes its review so they are unlikely to say "this college is very posh" or "no one ever goes out from this college"
Tek
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by UnregisteredP)
Modern Foreign Languages - e.g. French/Italian/German etc.
No such thing. It's called MML - Modern & Medieval Languages.
Tipex-Mouse
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
(Original post by purple)
Five best things

Relaxed and friendly atmosphere
Facilities are great, with societies catering for all tastes
May Ball/Great Ents
Accommodation for 3/4 years in a beautiful old building located centrally
Generous grants for almost anything

Five worst things

Drinking culture can be obsessive, especially amongst rugby lads
Some cliqueyness
Some sense of anonymity in such a large college
Can become introverted with so many facilities on offer
Easy to get things out of proportion
Thanks. But what on earth does "easy to get things out of proportion mean?" if that's the worst thing they can think of to say, then the college can't be bad!"

Which languages is she doing? i'm applying for mml spanish and italian. what did she say the interviews were like? i'd appreciate some tips from her! thanks
UnregisteredP
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Tek)
No such thing. It's called MML - Modern & Medieval Languages.
If you're talking about HE you probably right - I misunderstood and was referring to MFL at secondary level - mea culpa!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (490)
51.47%
No (462)
48.53%

Watched Threads