Should they be able to cancel Deer Season? Watch

This discussion is closed.
drago di giada
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Is it alright for NYS DEC to try to interfere with the (deer) hunting season in the state?
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by drago di giada)
Is it alright for NYS DEC to try to interfere with the (deer) hunting season in the state?
You might have to give us a link with some more info.
LawQueen
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
The only live deer I've seen is in Scotland. Oh and Bambi and they are both pretty so ban it! Where as fox hunting...where foxes are the most annoying creatures who wreck farmyards is somewhat oin my books justifiable.
naivesincerity
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by ruthiepooos)
The only live deer I've seen is in Scotland. Oh and Bambi and they are both pretty so ban it! Where as fox hunting...where foxes are the most annoying creatures who wreck farmyards is somewhat oin my books justifiable.
thats no argument, they could easily shoot them, which is infact the humane way to kill them, whatever the hunt people say
Howard
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by naivesincerity)
thats no argument, they could easily shoot them, which is infact the humane way to kill them, whatever the hunt people say
God save us from another fox hunting debate. :rolleyes:
_Jax_
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I think anyone should be able to shoot any game animal as long as it’s theirs and on their land.
drago di giada
Rep:
?
(Original post by ruthiepooos)
First off, let me say, vienna I knew you'd be the second post in here.. lol..

Secondly, deer hunting here is our way of population control. I've said it before (on a fox hunting thread.. and yes, please NO FOX HUNTING ANALOGIES! I grew weary of that topic quite some time ago)...

Without hunting season deer reproduce too quickly, they eat crops, and they cause more accidents than any other wild animal I know of. Without the hunting many lives are at stake.. when you come across a deer in the middle of the road they stop and stare at the oncoming vehicle.. dumb dumb creatures.
drago di giada
Rep:
?
http://www.rochestertoday.com/news/l...2-B2AFAB7B6253

That link provides one side of the story.. although it doesn't mention the banning of the season..

a better link..

http://www.dec.state.ny.us/website/dfwmr/wildlife/deer/

Other Links:
http://www.all-creatures.org/cash/cc94sp-challenge.html

NYS HUMANE SOCIETY: (rolls eyes)

ACTION ALERT - CANNED HUNTING

Imagine a ram standing peacefully. Then imagine this same ram being shot over and over again by arrows. Still not dead, the ram is shot to death. Why was this done? Simply for amusement and so the killer could get the ram's head as a trophy.

This is the world of canned hunting. Canned hunts are hunts that occur in areas where the animal has no reasonable chance of escaping. Usually animals who are accustomed to human handling are used in canned hunts so they do not even attempt to escape their killers. Many of these animals are from zoos. The killers choose the animal they wish to kill, which is guaranteed, and pay substantial sums of money in advance of the kill.

The New York Legislature passed a law a few years ago to address canned hunting but the law is inadequate because it does not prohibit canned hunting if the area where the animal is being hunted is more than ten acres. The canned hunt facilities in New York contain hundreds of acres.

The animals do not make substantial efforts to escape their killers regardless of the acreage because their lives have been so manipulated that they expect food, not death, from humans. Even if they did make an effort to escape, they are prevented from doing so because of fencing and other barricades. As Mike Winikoff, the investigator who filmed the ram being shot, stated, "If there's a fence, then there are corners to that fence, and any animal may be easily pushed towards those corners, trapped, and killed, by even the most inexperienced hunters…The animals have no chance whatsoever to escape."

Sorry.. this info is the best I can do. I'm not finding much if anything on it when I search for it.
drago di giada
Rep:
?
(Original post by lessthanthree)
canned hunting's pretty sad. It's mainly for people who have all the gear and no idea; [see money and a gun, but no idea how toy use the goddamn thing]

-

Hunting deer in general I have no problem with.
I dk, I love the whole.. thing. I live next to a state park in upstate NY and during pheasant season they breed a bunch of pheasants and set them loose in a place they don't know, the stupid things run around like chickens with their heads cut off and they let a bunch of hunters go in and kill any and every one they see.. Makes me sick. Where the hell is the sport in that?!
djchak
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I dk, I love the whole.. thing. I live next to a state park in upstate NY and during pheasant season they breed a bunch of pheasants and set them loose in a place they don't know, the stupid things run around like chickens with their heads cut off and they let a bunch of hunters go in and kill any and every one they see.. Makes me sick. Where the hell is the sport in that?!
Ok, canned hunting sounds lame...that doesn't sound at all like proper hunting, when you use camaflouge, have to use strategy to get the deer, pay a fee, rules and regulations, etc.

That still doesn't mean you should cancel deer season...it just means you should make it adhere to more hunts-worthy rules.
Jamie
Badges: 18
Report 13 years ago

Secondly, deer hunting here is our way of population control. I've said it before (on a fox hunting thread.. and yes, please NO FOX HUNTING ANALOGIES! I grew weary of that topic quite some time ago)...

Without hunting season deer reproduce too quickly, they eat crops, and they cause more accidents than any other wild animal I know of. Without the hunting many lives are at stake.. when you come across a deer in the middle of the road they stop and stare at the oncoming vehicle.. dumb dumb creatures.
i despair when people say stuff like 'they eat crops', conjuring images of these short grass feeders munching through all the wheat fields.
I say yes, not because i disagree with culling (which is quite essential) or infact deer hunting in general (venison is mighty tasty, the same isnt said for fox hunting). its mearly your wording which makes it sound like a god given right. Deer hunting season should be able to be cancelled to inc numbers, or if there is disease in the herds etc, there should be any legislation preventing it from EVER being off limits.
if you get me
Jamie
Report 13 years ago
well hunting etiquette is that any guy who shoots a bird on the ground should be shot themselves.
hence the usual beaters (not that it gives them that much of a chance, but its better than on the ground).
psychic_satori
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by foolfarian)
well hunting etiquette is that any guy who shoots a bird on the ground should be shot themselves.
hence the usual beaters (not that it gives them that much of a chance, but its better than on the ground).
That would leave a lot of wounded turkey hunters...
psychic_satori
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago

New York needs to have hunting, or they need to build a large fence along the border with Pennsylvania. There are enough deer running along the roads of Pennsylvania. We don't need our deer population to grow just because we have animal-loving neighbors in the north.
drago di giada
Rep:
?
i despair when people say stuff like 'they eat crops', conjuring images of these short grass feeders munching through all the wheat fields.
I say yes, not because i disagree with culling (which is quite essential) or infact deer hunting in general (venison is mighty tasty, the same isnt said for fox hunting). its mearly your wording which makes it sound like a god given right. Deer hunting season should be able to be cancelled to inc numbers, or if there is disease in the herds etc, there should be any legislation preventing it from EVER being off limits.
if you get me
Except hunting season is crucial to the safety of humans. Here there is a deer-related accident 2-3 times a day. The deer population is sky-rocketing.. we need hunting season for population control.
drago di giada
Rep:
?
(Original post by psychic_satori)
That would leave a lot of wounded turkey hunters...
lol,
Jamie
Report 13 years ago
lol,
im british, we don't shoot ground dwelling birds. wheres the fun?
As for deer related accidents, we have a fair few here, hence why we have culls. my point was that deer hunting shouldnt be an enshrined right as it seemed you were suggesting. it should be monitored so it can be shortened/decreased/lengthened/increased in response to any population flutuations.
psychic_satori
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
The turkey is actually one of the most intelligent birds, and they taste good. They have good vision, and their eye position enables them to see nearly all 360 degrees around them. They have good hearing, as well, so it is difficult to creep up on them. To top it off, they can run very fast, and bear little resemblance to the rotund turkeys that you pick up at the grocery store.

As for deer related accidents, we have a fair few here, hence why we have culls. my point was that deer hunting shouldnt be an enshrined right as it seemed you were suggesting. it should be monitored so it can be shortened/decreased/lengthened/increased in response to any population flutuations.
Well, there has never been a time in the last 50 years when there hasn't been an overpopulation of deer in Pennsylvania. I can't speak for other states... So, the language used was more of an indicator of the continual overpopulation, than some sort of entitled attitude.
drago di giada
Rep:
?
I agree that it should be able subject to changes, HOWEVER it cannot be cancelled because of all of the accidents that would result from it.

And as for the bird thing.. I don't agree with it, I find no sport in what they do.. but I can't stop it.
Jamie
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by psychic_satori)
The turkey is actually one of the most intelligent birds, and they taste good. They have good vision, and their eye position enables them to see nearly all 360 degrees around them. They have good hearing, as well, so it is difficult to creep up on them. To top it off, they can run very fast, and bear little resemblance to the rotund turkeys that you pick up at the grocery store.

Well, there has never been a time in the last 50 years when there hasn't been an overpopulation of deer in Pennsylvania. I can't speak for other states... So, the language used was more of an indicator of the continual overpopulation, than some sort of entitled attitude.
how do you define 'overpopulation'. if the population is 'over' for 50 years, surely it ceases at some point to be 'overpopulation' and just become 'population'
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (16)
29.63%
No - I got the required grades (30)
55.56%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (8)
14.81%

Watched Threads