Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    think I broke some sort of a record by writing the most nonsensical essay in about 10 min. lol
    tell me what you think of it (what is wrong with it) and could you grade it out of ten and if you have better answers for the questions please mention them. thanks

I did the 4th essay:
    "our believe in particular natural law cannot have a safer basis than our unsuccessful critical attempts to refute it" (Karl Popper)
    you had to explain the nature of the scientific method, what the above statement meant and examples where experiments can not proceed so as to answer the hypothesis....or something like that..........

What I did was I explained what 'science' was i.e. objective, replicable and enables one to formulate law-like generalisations.
    Then I talked about the purpose of such hypothesis and that if empirical data differed from the hypothesis then such hypothesis can be refuted and scientist tries to explain why etc.....said something about validity.....
    Then I tried to answer the question by saying that, Karl Popper, probably, meant that 'if a law-like generalisation is thought to be right then it can not be refuted till empirical data suggests otherwise'.

I later went on about the problem which Karl Popper addressed is usually found in pre-sciences such as Psychology which has no 'one' generally accepted paradigm but there being a wider range of opinion about the best theoretical approach to adopt.

I used Freud's psychosexual stages as an example, arguing that the oedipus and electra complexes can not falsified since no known experiment can be done. Said something about some scientist arguing that psychology is not a science so does not apply to Qs whereas others viewed as pre-science

I concluded my essay by saying that the nature of the scientific method is to test hypothese and it is this which makes it objective, so that a good method would enable one to make an accurate generalisation.....or something like that........I have sort of forgotten the last bit but it was like that.

ReputationRep:
    come on guys say something

ReputationRep:
    I like Popper.

ReputationRep:
    I like chicken.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by icarusgideon)
    think I broke some sort of a record by writing the most nonsensical essay in about 10 min. lol
    tell me what you think of it (what is wrong with it) and could you grade it out of ten and if you have better answers for the questions please mention them. thanks
    good stuff. im sure theyll be impressed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edders)
    good stuff. im sure theyll be impressed.
    thought we weren't allowed to advertise anything, surely that includes political parties?

Do you do BMAt at yor school?

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.