This discussion is closed.
Roxanne
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Well, I applied for English at Cambridge this year. Not much chance of getting in, I'd say, just because you need to be pretty fantastic I reckon.

So, all you people applying for Oxbridge this year, how do you think you'll cope if you're rejected? Will you be upset that you've been classified as ''not the best'' etc?

Be honest - everyone says it doesn't matter to them at all. I don't believe them :P
Ralfskini
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I won't be too annoyed if I dont make it as long as I get an offer from Durham or Bath.
Nylex
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Just to say, I applied to Cambridge last year and wasn't upset when I got rejected. It wasn't really one of my favourite places anyway.
loftx
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Roxanne)
Well, I applied for English at Cambridge this year. Not much chance of getting in, I'd say, just because you need to be pretty fantastic I reckon.
Hmm, i dunno about that - mine wasnt exactly fantastic - heres a report .
emom100
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
when i was rejected from oxford i knew it was oming so it was almost a relieve to know for sure. Howevre, the fact i got my rejection letter on xmas eve was a bit manky
Unreg
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by loftx)
Hmm, i dunno about that - mine wasnt exactly fantastic - heres a report .
ha @ pembroke!
Sazzle
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I was rejected from Cam last year - initially I was upset but soon got over it. However it did knock my confidence a bit as I felt I had been kidding myself that I was good enough, so I was quite surprised when I read the feedback sent to the school which said that had come across very well and performed well in the int & test but they had doubted my commitment to the subject (due to an odd comment in my reference about being suited to degree level study of geology (I was applying for engineering! :rolleyes: ))
Juwel
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
How will I react? Like this:

"Oh well maybe it wasn't meant to happen like that. Would have been nice but my other choices are just fine for me. I had a chance and had a go at least."

Why kill yourself, a degree is a degree wherever you get it. Getting into Cambridge for me would be like winning a lot of money, a great bonus but something I can live without. Things always pan out for the best, you'll see either way.
icy
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
to be honest, i wouldn't be too disappointed cause i sort of already know that i won't get in...but i will be sad.
Tina
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
people please try and be optimistic!!! ur sscaring me!!!! anyway whatever happens its still an achiuevement to be able to stay i got a n interview at oxbridge...at least we try huh??? some people are really regretting not applying...so at least we'll get the experience
icy
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Tina)
people please try and be optimistic!!! ur sscaring me!!!! anyway whatever happens its still an achiuevement to be able to stay i got a n interview at oxbridge...at least we try huh??? some people are really regretting not applying...so at least we'll get the experience
maybe we're not being pessimistic.....just realistic. i never regretted applying. i would blame myself for not applying, even if i knew that i wouldn't get in. but sometimes one needs more than hope and luck.
mikesgt2
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Well, I think I will be pretty pissed when i get rejected. (that's optimism for you!)

If I don't get into Oxford, then I want to go to Warwick. If I get into Warwick I will be happy. However, I would obviously prefer to go to Oxford.

There is also a side of me that wants to succeed at everything I try to achieve. Does anyone else feel this?
Tina
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by mikesgt2)
Well, I think I will be pretty pissed when i get rejected. (that's optimism for you!)

If I don't get into Oxford, then I want to go to Warwick. If I get into Warwick I will be happy. However, I would obviously prefer to go to Oxford.

There is also a side of me that wants to succeed at everything I try to achieve. Does anyone else feel this?
yes im like that tooo...perfectionist and it can be terrible sometimes
Lucie
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Yeah, I know exactly what U mean!
Juwel
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by mikesgt2)
Course I do. I'm a Scorpio after all.
Bumblebee3
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Know this may not seem to help but being at Cambridge isn't the be all and end all. It has it's good and bad points like any other uni. the biggest issue you might really have if you don't get an offer is a confidence knock and believe me when I say it's often down to chance at the last stage. You may just not get on with the interviewer, or have a bad day or whatever. An oxbridge offer doesn't dicate your intelligence, it's what you do when you're there, and you can excel at any good uni.

Good luck to those applying and remember, relaxed is the best way to go!
Bhaal85
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Tina)
yes im like that tooo...perfectionist and it can be terrible sometimes
Me too, plus I hate losing, it must be because I am an aries.
SaeedRehman
Badges: 0
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Bhaal85)
Me too, plus I hate losing, it must be because I am an aries.
lol im aries too

but you know its already decided if we got the entry or not..
Unregistered129
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
hmm i applied for cam last year, getting a letter saying i was pooled was actually a really great experience because despite the fact i didn't go any further than that it sort of allowed me to tell myself that if there had been one more place it would have been mine

from my school 35 people applied to oxbridge,all straight A's, 8 were given offers and then on results day 4 missed their offers, just to further depress you guys you have to remember that just because you get an offer doesnt mean you are automatically there.

ah well best of luck to you all, seriously.
not1
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
ive been rejected once already. i was disappointed/dazed but afterwards i had fun burning my rejection letter teehee.

this time ill either be rejected or given an unconditional offer (being post alevel) so thats quite nice.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (3)
9.68%
Virtual campus tours/open days (5)
16.13%
Live streaming events (1)
3.23%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (2)
6.45%
A uni comparison tool (10)
32.26%
An in-person event when available (10)
32.26%