This discussion is closed.
loftx
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Unregistered129)
on results day 4 missed their offers, just to further depress you guys you have to remember that just because you get an offer doesnt mean you are automatically there.
Sound advice (why don't you register?), that's what happened to me. It's a pity if that happens to you, and kind of unfair - you know Oxbridge want you, but can't go just becuase you misssed out by a grade or too.

Anyway i got over that a long time ago *sob*
UnregisteredP
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by edders)
ive been rejected once already. i was disappointed/dazed but afterwards i had fun burning my rejection letter teehee.

this time ill either be rejected or given an unconditional offer (being post alevel) so thats quite nice.
Yes, it's good that it will be either yes or no and not maybe, then have to wait a few months more in agony to see if you reach the offer.
What are your plans if it's no? (hope it's yes!)
Elle
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I don't think I'd be upset because I'm not holding my breath and expecting an offer or anything. It would be great if I got in but Oxbridge isn't the be all and end all..
not1
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by UnregisteredP)
Yes, it's good that it will be either yes or no and not maybe, then have to wait a few months more in agony to see if you reach the offer.
What are your plans if it's no? (hope it's yes!)
go to durham instead (if they give me offer which i presume they will)
Unregistered30
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
i do think oxbridge are a bit unfair either accpeting or rejecting you on xmas eve or day after boxing day! but i didnt apply so nah nah ne nah nah
loftx
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by edders)
ive been rejected once already. i was disappointed/dazed but afterwards i had fun burning my rejection letter teehee.
Burned the rejection letter?!?

You should have framed it so you can look at it in 10/20 year and laugh...
erika_johanna
Badges: 0
Report 17 years ago
I wouldn't be utterly heartbroken, although I would probably have a moment (all right, maybe a weekend...or a Christmas break) of Nobody Loves Me, Everybody Hates Me, Pass The Worms. The problem, really, is that everyone knows I'm applying for Cambridge, and everyone's taking it for granted that I'm going to get in. It's not like my family and friends will disown me if I'm rejected; they'll probably fall over themselves being nice. But I just know that they'll be, well, baffled. (Can you tell that I'm picturing the scene in my mind?)

Still, as long as some of my other choices accept me, I'll be all right; probably very happy, too. It's really the part where I tell everyone else that disturbs me.
Soulfish
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by erika_johanna)
I wouldn't be utterly heartbroken, although I would probably have a moment (all right, maybe a weekend...or a Christmas break) of Nobody Loves Me, Everybody Hates Me, Pass The Worms. The problem, really, is that everyone knows I'm applying for Cambridge, and everyone's taking it for granted that I'm going to get in. It's not like my family and friends will disown me if I'm rejected; they'll probably fall over themselves being nice. But I just know that they'll be, well, baffled. (Can you tell that I'm picturing the scene in my mind?)

Still, as long as some of my other choices accept me, I'll be all right; probably very happy, too. It's really the part where I tell everyone else that disturbs me.
I'm in the same sort of position. I wanted to try and keep it quiet that I was applying to Cambridge as I knew my family would assume that I'd get in, but they all somehow found out (I'm guessing my mum :P)
I'm just glad that I've got offers from southampton and edinburugh now - I wouldn't mind going to either
erika_johanna
Report 17 years ago
Apparently, I have the best PR machine in the world. People I've babysat for once know. Former teachers (as in elementary school) know. Neighbors I never speak to are all "how's Cambridge coming along?"

It's actually pretty great to have such a support network, though.
Bumblebee3
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago

You should tell them how much of a luck thing it is. Once you have the grades and the good ps it's all down to chance like you wouldn't believe. I was chatting to our admissions tutor and the smallest things can make a difference! People think that not getting in necessarily makes them worse than the people that did, but sometimes they may just not get on with the interviewer or they may have unknowingly chosen a college that wasn't suitable for them. Once you get to the top, it's a chance thing - tell your Parents, it may help if you do get turned down. Good luck!
Elle
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Haz)
You should tell them how much of a luck thing it is. Once you have the grades and the good ps it's all down to chance like you wouldn't believe. I was chatting to our admissions tutor and the smallest things can make a difference! People think that not getting in necessarily makes them worse than the people that did, but sometimes they may just not get on with the interviewer or they may have unknowingly chosen a college that wasn't suitable for them. Once you get to the top, it's a chance thing - tell your Parents, it may help if you do get turned down. Good luck!
What kind of small things make a difference?

My friend (she's crazy) told me I should spray my application with some alluring perfume.. its ok I didn't take her advice..
erika_johanna
Report 17 years ago
Thank you, Haz - that's good to know. (Well, pre-interview it's a little scary to know, but afterwards I can always get comfortably fatalistic about it.)

I vaguely knew someone who was rejected from Oxford because, I think, he was a little too 'Norwegian' at the interview. This may go on in the rest of the world as well, but going to school in Norway you tend to get the attitude that you shouldn't promote yourself too much, or show your intelligence too blatantly. So that's another reason that has nothing to do with your intrinsic human worth - cultural differences.

As for the Little Things that make a difference, there should be a what-to-wear-for-interviews thread (complete with tips on nail polish colors), if there isn't one already.
Bumblebee3
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Thank you, Haz - that's good to know. (Well, pre-interview it's a little scary to know, but afterwards I can always get comfortably fatalistic about it.)

I vaguely knew someone who was rejected from Oxford because, I think, he was a little too 'Norwegian' at the interview. This may go on in the rest of the world as well, but going to school in Norway you tend to get the attitude that you shouldn't promote yourself too much, or show your intelligence too blatantly. So that's another reason that has nothing to do with your intrinsic human worth - cultural differences.

As for the Little Things that make a difference, there should be a what-to-wear-for-interviews thread (complete with tips on nail polish colors), if there isn't one already.
What to wear... well some people wear a suit, some (like me) put on a woolly jumper (cause it's v. cold in cam in dec.) and others wore holey top with ripped jeans. So basically, whatever you feel comfortable in, whatever makes you feel like 'yourself'.

As for little things, it's mostly down to chance as I said. You may get an interviewer who doesn't appreciate your approach where a diferent one would. Some like you to really sell yourself confidently, others don't like what they perceive to be arrogance. The important thing is NOT to try and figure out what you think your interviewer would approve of, but to be yourself. If you try to be someone you're not, you just won't do as well. The only thing to do is be natural and hope you get on with them. Also, there were some candidates whose interviewer disgreed with and rubbished everything they said and then let them in because they had argued their case well and stood their ground! You never know. Just relax and know that either way it's not the be all and end all.
Tina
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
isnt haz so sweet? she always encourages us!
Sazzle
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
In terms of silly things I quite agree. I applied for engineering last year and was interviewed by an electrical and a mechanical engineer - they couldn't understand how geology was relevant to civil engineering and didn't like that I wasn't 'into' their branches.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
What colleges/subjects are u applying for?
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
english at emma

any other people doing english?
Ralfskini
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Unregistered)
english at emma

any other people doing english?
No. But Im applying to Emmanuel
theone
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I'm Maths at Trinity...
Ralfskini
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by theone)
I'm Maths at Trinity...
Yes, trinity is the best for maths I think.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (480)
51.72%
No (448)
48.28%

Watched Threads