This discussion is closed.
theone
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Ralfskini)
Yes, trinity is the best for maths I think.
It also has that slight pain in the ass of probably being the hardest to get into...

What are you applying for?
Ralfskini
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by theone)
It also has that slight pain in the ass of probably being the hardest to get into...

Biological Natsci. I think Emmanuel is hard to get into, but I may end up being pooled.
theone
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Biological Natsci. I think Emmanuel is hard to get into, but I may end up being pooled.
Good Luck, at least we should both have a decent chance of being pooled....
Ralfskini
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Good Luck, at least we should both have a decent chance of being pooled....
Thanks. If you are pooled is there any chance of getting a half decent college do you know?
theone
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Thanks. If you are pooled is there any chance of getting a half decent college do you know?
I think it's just any college who have not filled their alloted quota of offers, so it's very much chance.
Ralfskini
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I think it's just any college who have not filled their alloted quota of offers, so it's very much chance.
Do they pool applicants for Durham colleges or do you not know?
theone
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Do they pool applicants for Durham colleges or do you not know?
I think they do the pooling with durham before they give you your offer, at least that's what i think it is for maths, i'm not sure, i'm sure it'll be the same for other subjects though, in case one college is very popular and another is undersubscribed.
Unregistered11
Badges:
Report 17 years ago

Trinity will try very hard to give offers to Maths applicants who come from schools who don't achieve very highly, who are the first in their family to go to uni and who display enough talent at interview that makes the interviewing dons think they are good enough to merit an offer. The problem comes with achieving your offer! Over a third don't!
Ralfskini
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I think they do the pooling with durham before they give you your offer, at least that's what i think it is for maths, i'm not sure, i'm sure it'll be the same for other subjects though, in case one college is very popular and another is undersubscribed.
So have you applied to Durham? If so, which College?
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
not really, mainly its the girls colleges or the poorer ones which take applicants from the pool, no way that trinity,kings,queens,jesus,emma, clare etc would take you but perhaps churchill or pembroke
Ralfskini
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Unregistered)
not really, mainly its the girls colleges or the poorer ones which take applicants from the pool, no way that trinity,kings,queens,jesus,emma, clare etc would take you but perhaps churchill or pembroke
Ok thanks.
theone
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
So have you applied to Durham? If so, which College?
Yep, Collingwood

(Original post by Unregistered)
Trinity will try very hard to give offers to Maths applicants who come from schools who don't achieve very highly, who are the first in their family to go to uni and who display enough talent at interview that makes the interviewing dons think they are good enough to merit an offer. The problem comes with achieving your offer! Over a third don't!

I don't personally agree with your first bit, it tends to be Kings that give offers to people from a non-Oxbridge background, Trinity tends to be pretty much straight down the line. I just think they're after, as you say, those that the fellows think are good enouhg to get an offer. Also, achieving your offer is basically getting good STEP grades, and I'll work my ass off to get them (as i did last year, with STEP I, but still got a disappointing grade - but i'm a year wiser now.)
Unregistered11
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Yep, Collingwood

I don't personally agree with your first bit, it tends to be Kings that give offers to people from a non-Oxbridge background, Trinity tends to be pretty much straight down the line. I just think they're after, as you say, those that the fellows think are good enouhg to get an offer. Also, achieving your offer is basically getting good STEP grades, and I'll work my ass off to get them (as i did last year, with STEP I, but still got a disappointing grade - but i'm a year wiser now.)
I personally know someone who got an offer from Trinity Maths department last year who fitted the first criteria I mentioned but was exceptional amongs their peer group even though they weren't predicted to get a stream of A's at A-level. Have you had a look at the profiles of people who applied for Maths at Trinity on http://oxbridge-info.co.uk
If you haven't, have a look, it's really informative and expels lots of myths about Trinity. As for working your 'ass off' to achieve your offer (if you get one and I hope you do) make sure you do as all say the same thing and get a bit lazy part way through!
theone
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Unregistered11)
I personally know someone who got an offer from Trinity Maths department last year who fitted the first criteria I mentioned but was exceptional amongs their peer group even though they weren't predicted to get a stream of A's at A-level. Have you had a look at the profiles of people who applied for Maths at Trinity on http://oxbridge-info.co.uk
If you haven't, have a look, it's really informative and expels lots of myths about Trinity. As for working your 'ass off' to achieve your offer (if you get one and I hope you do) make sure you do as all say the same thing and get a bit lazy part way through!
I ain't going to get lazy, I can guarentee you, if I get an offer, I'll work as hard as I can to achieve it, and i'd say the same goes for anyone who deserves to get an offer in the first place.
Unregistered11
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
I ain't going to get lazy, I can guarentee you, if I get an offer, I'll work as hard as I can to achieve it, and i'd say the same goes for anyone who deserves to get an offer in the first place.
I'm not trying to pick a fight with you - I am talking from more than anecdotal evidence. If you check with Trinity you will find out yourself that of those who they consider deserving of an offer in the first place, 34% fail to get accepted when their exam results come out.
theone
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Unregistered11)
I'm not trying to pick a fight with you - I am talking from more than anecdotal evidence. If you check with Trinity you will find out yourself that of those who they consider deserving of an offer in the first place, 34% fail to get accepted when their exam results come out.
I know, apologies if I come over in a malicious way, but I'm jsut trying to say that anyone worthy of getting an offer IMHO should work hard enough to make it, otherwise they either are not clever enough, and thus didn't deserve to get an offer, or plain lazy, which shows they don't care enough and so shouldn't have deserved to get an offer.
Bumblebee3
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
All Cambridge colleges are a little more than 'half decent' thank you. Also, many people get pooled to other colleges from Pembroke and Newnham. The colleges that receive too many applications vary from year to year.

BTW, Oxbridge interviewers have a habit of looking up sites such as these on the internet - so watch what you say about half decent colleges...
Bumblebee3
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Tina)
isnt haz so sweet? she always encourages us!

Awww, thank you Tina
unr3g1573r3d
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
is it hard to get in E&M?
Tina
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
when i first applied i tried not to be too enthusisastic about cambridge...in case i got rejected.....now i will be absolutely GUTTED if i get rejected......aaaaaaaghhhhhhhhhh hhh :confused:
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (556)
50.32%
No (549)
49.68%

Watched Threads