The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
I've already been rejected from Teddy Hall, Oxford, without the interview (my predicted grades, 776 at HL and 37 total was the reason they said). I'm ok, barely. When I found out I started reading Kant's Critique of Pure Reason (no pun intended) and Russell's autobiography (he went to Cambridge).
I'm in a bit of a sticky situation. I applied to St Catharines college Cambridge, its not very big and doesnt have as much money as a lot of the others, but its not bad, and of course it's still cambridge! I also applied to a bunch of other universities, including Durham, university college, but i didnt think i had a hope in hell of getting a place at castle.

So now I've had an offer from university college durham, I'm absolutely amazed. After visiting Durham, I've totally fallen in love with the city and in particular the castle. So now I'm half hoping I get rejected from Cambridge, because if I get accepted, I have a really horrible decision to make.

What do you think? is this a really screwed attitude to have? How often do successful applicants turn down oxbridge places?
Reply 62
you've got to do whst's right for you.........what course is it for?
Reply 63
figgetyfig
I'm in a bit of a sticky situation. I applied to St Catharines college Cambridge, its not very big and doesnt have as much money as a lot of the others, but its not bad, and of course it's still cambridge! I also applied to a bunch of other universities, including Durham, university college, but i didnt think i had a hope in hell of getting a place at castle.

So now I've had an offer from university college durham, I'm absolutely amazed. After visiting Durham, I've totally fallen in love with the city and in particular the castle. So now I'm half hoping I get rejected from Cambridge, because if I get accepted, I have a really horrible decision to make.

What do you think? is this a really screwed attitude to have? How often do successful applicants turn down oxbridge places?

I donno, but I'm going to Castle, which is reason enough for you to go as well, methinks :biggrin:
Reply 64
figgetyfig

Hey, I have the same with Sidney Sussex at Cambridge and bath university. The problem is that although I am not certain I will not be able to get in to cambridge, I am not certain to get in to Bath (I disregard Haakon's arrogant attitude towards an offer of 6, 6 and 35 points...).

Basicly, I want to have a secure insurance, but I do not want to miss bath just cus I didnt accept the offer...
It's more to do with the lifestyle than the course, as i've applied for engineering, the courses are almost identical. Although cambridges reputation is fantastic, and i'm a very academic person, I also like to do a lot of other things, and the idea of saturday lectures doesn't appeal to me at all. I know this shouldn't be an issue, but my boyfriend's going to Edinburgh, and there's no way we could afford to visit each other often if i was at cambridge.
This is probably even more stupid, but I'm kinda worried about what my family and teachers will think too.

i keep telling myself not to think about it because 3 in 4 cambridge applicants are rejected, but i cant stop thinking about it, if that makes sense...
Reply 66
Jonatan, don't reject cambridge because you don't think you'll make the offer, that's stupid. Anyways i'm sure you'll change your mind if you get an offer. And if you don't you can tell yourself it's good coz then you don't have to take the risk of not getting in anywhere.
Reply 67
haakon
Jonatan, don't reject cambridge because you don't think you'll make the offer, that's stupid. Anyways i'm sure you'll change your mind if you get an offer. And if you don't you can tell yourself it's good coz then you don't have to take the risk of not getting in anywhere.

Did you see that math test? Do you kno my parents? Do you think I want to live at home for another year?
Reply 68
Jonatan
Did you see that math test? Do you kno my parents? Do you think I want to live at home for another year?

My brother got a 7 in math hl, and if he can so can i, and if i can, then so can you. I'm not saying i will get 7, i'll be happy with a 6, but if i needed a 7 to get into cambridge, i'd manage somehow. I agree that i'd probably get a 4 on that math test you showed me, but that's because i don't have enough practice solving exam questions.

And we do have more than a mounth allocated for revision, and that really helps. Everything i learned in GCSE maths and physics i learned during revision, and i got A* in both.

And no, i don't know your parents, but you don't have to stay home just because you take a year of, there are thousands of gap year opportunities.
figgetyfig
It's more to do with the lifestyle than the course, as i've applied for engineering, the courses are almost identical. Although cambridges reputation is fantastic, and i'm a very academic person, I also like to do a lot of other things, and the idea of saturday lectures doesn't appeal to me at all.

Engineers don't have Saturday lectures so don't worry about that - but they do work damned hard. You're right to want to be careful about where you go - you'll have to spend at least three years there after all. Maybe you should go and have a look round each place again if you get offers from both, and then make a list of pros and cons? That might help you decide.
Nylex
Just to say, I applied to Cambridge last year and wasn't upset when I got rejected. It wasn't really one of my favourite places anyway.

I second that, well kind off. I applied to St.Edmunds at Cam but got rejected (boohoo) but thank goodness got an offer from Bris. St.Eds seems distant from the "real" cambridge (colleges in the town centre) so thats why I wasn't really too depressed about it.

Mul
MadNatSci
Engineers don't have Saturday lectures so don't worry about that - but they do work damned hard. You're right to want to be careful about where you go - you'll have to spend at least three years there after all. Maybe you should go and have a look round each place again if you get offers from both, and then make a list of pros and cons? That might help you decide.

Thanks, I'm staying overnight at both unis in the next month or so, so i'll be able to check out the nightlife and stuff, and hopefully talk to some of the students about it. The pros and cons list is a really good idea, my mum suggested it too so it must be the right thing to do!

Don't want to think about it again till I know whether I have an offer... but I know I wont be able to stop myself.
Reply 72
figgetyfig

are u kidding? St Catharine's is such a nice college (no, i haven't been there). u have an opportunity to go to 2 of the nicest colleges and u r complaining? try to realize ur fortunate position. i would do anything to go to St Catharine's.
Reply 73
icy
are u kidding? St Catharine's is such a nice college (no, i haven't been there). u have an opportunity to go to 2 of the nicest colleges and u r complaining? try to realize ur fortunate position. i would do anything to go to St Catharine's.

Except going to the interview...
Reply 74
Jonatan
Except going to the interview...

WHAT IS UR PROBLEM?

I TOLD U THAT I WANT TO GO TO THE INTERVIEW, BUT I CAN'T. DON'T KEEP BRINGING IT UP.....I FEEL LIKE CRYING. :mad: :mad:

:frown:
Reply 75
icy
WHAT IS UR PROBLEM?

I TOLD U THAT I WANT TO GO TO THE INTERVIEW, BUT I CAN'T. DON'T KEEP BRINGING IT UP.....I FEEL LIKE CRYING. :mad: :mad:

To quote the great Disney; if you can dream it, you can do it!

So just go. What's keeping you anyways?
Reply 76
icy
WHAT IS UR PROBLEM?

Fair enough Jin, but then you are not allowed to complain if I reject an offer from Sidney cus I woant get in...
Reply 77
Jonatan
Fair enough Jin, but then you are not allowed to complain if I reject an offer from Sidney cus I woant get in...

won't
Reply 78
Jonatan

your choice........

u have such a negative attitude. aim big. u never know ur limits until u passed them. besides, sidney is not going to give an easy offer....u know that. if u're going to reject the offer, why go to the interview? u're either naive, or full of hope....

whether u reject or not is ur own choice. but i never had a choice of going to the interveiw. don't compare our situations.
Reply 79
I would be disappointed to get in, but I'd love to study at Durham or Bath, and I have a Durham offer already, so getting rejected from Cambridge wouldn't be the end of the world...

Latest

Trending

Trending