Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    inicidentally, is his girlfriend Asian? He was very into asian girls when I knew him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kay0)
    I observed on that campus that a lot of the asian girls (indian, pakistani variety) were very much into white boys. I didn't notice many oriental guys...and the ones that i did notice were international students so spoke mainly in their language and socialized mainly with their own people. So this is probably why u never see them with white girls.
    Sorry to butt in like this but you're very accurate in your observations of how oriental people behave overseas. Chinese people in particular are less inclined to be more outward-looking. Most prefer to mix with their own crowd; it's a kind of herd instinct and that's why you get sizeable Chinatowns sprouting up everywhere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Monteferro)
    Sorry to butt in like this but you're very accurate in your observations of how oriental people behave overseas. Chinese people in particular are less inclined to be more outward-looking. Most prefer to mix with their own crowd; it's a kind of herd instinct and that's why you get sizeable Chinatowns sprouting up everywhere.
    It is due to cultural background. Chinese who grew up in China and moved overseas later in life have a cultural background which is very different from anyone who grew up in the place they moved to. Partly due the education system in China, and various other parts of social lives in China. All of this basically means it's very difficult for a Chinese adult (or teenagers in their late teens) to mix with people who doesn't have the same background. I've been in this country for just about 5 years now. And I try not to stick with groups of Chinese people. Not that there's anything wrong with them, but I just thought I should have a wider range of friends. And it has not been easy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Monteferro)
    Yeah, but this behaviour isnt exclusive to chinese people. I have also observed that indians from overseas, arabs from overseas and africans from overseas do the same thing. But I do think the chinese do it more....probably because chinese people are a very small minority in this country...for example, every oriental person on my course is an internation student. None are UK born.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Camford)
    It is due to cultural background. Chinese who grew up in China and moved overseas later in life have a cultural background which is very different from anyone who grew up in the place they moved to. Partly due the education system in China, and various other parts of social lives in China. All of this basically means it's very difficult for a Chinese adult (or teenagers in their late teens) to mix with people who doesn't have the same background. I've been in this country for just about 5 years now. And I try not to stick with groups of Chinese people. Not that there's anything wrong with them, but I just thought I should have a wider range of friends. And it has not been easy.
    Dude the same can be said about Indians/Pakistanis too IMO. The thing that annoys me is that when I make an effort to widen my range of friends as you put it, my Indian peers look down on me as if I am commiting a huge sin!

ReputationRep:
    I like having friends from different cultures to my own.. I think it is often more interesting... and Idon;t mean just ethnic origins, also people brought up in different ways etc.

Having said that the majority of religious people do my head in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by visesh)
    Dude the same can be said about Indians/Pakistanis too IMO. The thing that annoys me is that when I make an effort to widen my range of friends as you put it, my Indian peers look down on me as if I am commiting a huge sin!
    you have problems with female friends too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana9)
    you have problems with female friends too
    Now what is that supposed mean?

ReputationRep:
    When you try to widen your range of friends to include females, certain people are not pleased..

ReputationRep:
    **** 'em, why should social groups be divided by race/background like that we're all humman ffs.

/me has never understood that and probably never will

A.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alaric)
    **** 'em, why should social groups be divided by race/background like that we're all humman ffs.

/me has never understood that and probably never will

A.
    Me neither... Everything looks the same to CompScis... they are either 1's or 0's and they are equally important.

Patch: Fourier Series Sucks more than my noodles.

ReputationRep:
    When you try to widen your range of friends to include females, certain people are not pleased..
    Who?:|

ReputationRep:
    Who?:|
    You know who!!

Certain parental species?

ReputationRep:
    You know who!!

And teaching species if you are talking about Chinese...

ReputationRep:
    And teaching species if you are talking about Chinese...
    Teachers? WtF?

ReputationRep:
    Teachers? WtF?
    You didn't know that bit did you?

ReputationRep:
    Oh man...

Camfo, would your parents be pissed if you were going out with/wanted to marry someone non chinese? or wouldnt they care?

ReputationRep:
    You didn't know that bit did you?
    Nothing is allowed to distract you from your studies! I've heard of that.

Alaric.

ReputationRep:
    Oh man...

Camfo, would your parents be pissed if you were going out with/wanted to marry someone non chinese? or wouldnt they care?
    They are not bothered.

ReputationRep:
    You know who!!

Yes well they can **** off, george.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 1, 2005
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.