Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Need any good physicists/mathematicians to give me a hand here...

(i) What is the general solution to d^2y/dx^2 + 2k dy/dx + x = 0 when 0 < k < 1?

This bit I can do, I get y = e^-k (A cos(1-k^2)^(1/2) x + B sin(1-k^2)^(1/2) x).

(ii) We know that the above differential equation represents damped simpleharmonic motion with dampening factor k. Also we are given that x(0) = 0 (from this I deduced A = 0).

Let x1, x2, x3 .... xn be the successive turning points such that if xn is a maximum, xn+1 is the following minimum.

Show that the ratio |x(n+1) / xn| takes a value a, independent of n, and furthermore that we can show that k^2 = (ln a)^2/(pi^2 + (ln a)^2), where a is independent.

For this last bit I've completely stuffed, I don't do A-Level physics, and havn't done M4 yet, which has damped SHM in, so I don't really know how to start....

(Original post by theone)
    Need any good physicists/mathematicians to give me a hand here...

(i) What is the general solution to d^2y/dx^2 + 2k dy/dx + x = 0 when 0 < k < 1?

This bit I can do, I get y = e^-k (A cos(1-k^2)^(1/2) x + B sin(1-k^2)^(1/2) x).

(ii) We know that the above differential equation represents damped simpleharmonic motion with dampening factor k. Also we are given that x(0) = 0 (from this I deduced A = 0).

Let x1, x2, x3 .... xn be the successive turning points such that if xn is a maximum, xn+1 is the following minimum.

Show that the ratio |x(n+1) / xn| takes a value a, independent of n, and furthermore that we can show that k^2 = (ln a)^2/(pi^2 + (ln a)^2), where a is independent.

For this last bit I've completely stuffed, I don't do A-Level physics, and havn't done M4 yet, which has damped SHM in, so I don't really know how to start....
    where did you get this question if you don't do physics or P4?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unreg)
    where did you get this question if you don't do physics or P4?
    I do F Maths, and this is a STEP III Pure maths question...

I would start by finding dy/dx = 0 to find where the turning points are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unreg)
    I would start by finding dy/dx = 0 to find where the turning points are.
    But from what I've done it doesn't get anywhere.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to bump this but I need a hand

(Original post by theone)
    Sorry to bump this but I need a hand
    If i had a pen and paper i would help you. plus im going in 5 minutes to the cinema for you-know-what.

Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.