This discussion is closed.
theone
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Need any good physicists/mathematicians to give me a hand here...

(i) What is the general solution to d^2y/dx^2 + 2k dy/dx + x = 0 when 0 < k < 1?

This bit I can do, I get y = e^-k (A cos(1-k^2)^(1/2) x + B sin(1-k^2)^(1/2) x).

(ii) We know that the above differential equation represents damped simpleharmonic motion with dampening factor k. Also we are given that x(0) = 0 (from this I deduced A = 0).

Let x1, x2, x3 .... xn be the successive turning points such that if xn is a maximum, xn+1 is the following minimum.

Show that the ratio |x(n+1) / xn| takes a value a, independent of n, and furthermore that we can show that k^2 = (ln a)^2/(pi^2 + (ln a)^2), where a is independent.

For this last bit I've completely stuffed, I don't do A-Level physics, and havn't done M4 yet, which has damped SHM in, so I don't really know how to start....
Unreg
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by theone)
Need any good physicists/mathematicians to give me a hand here...

(i) What is the general solution to d^2y/dx^2 + 2k dy/dx + x = 0 when 0 < k < 1?

This bit I can do, I get y = e^-k (A cos(1-k^2)^(1/2) x + B sin(1-k^2)^(1/2) x).

(ii) We know that the above differential equation represents damped simpleharmonic motion with dampening factor k. Also we are given that x(0) = 0 (from this I deduced A = 0).

Let x1, x2, x3 .... xn be the successive turning points such that if xn is a maximum, xn+1 is the following minimum.

Show that the ratio |x(n+1) / xn| takes a value a, independent of n, and furthermore that we can show that k^2 = (ln a)^2/(pi^2 + (ln a)^2), where a is independent.

For this last bit I've completely stuffed, I don't do A-Level physics, and havn't done M4 yet, which has damped SHM in, so I don't really know how to start....
where did you get this question if you don't do physics or P4?
theone
Rep:
?
(Original post by Unreg)
where did you get this question if you don't do physics or P4?
I do F Maths, and this is a STEP III Pure maths question...
Unreg
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
I would start by finding dy/dx = 0 to find where the turning points are.
theone
Rep:
?
(Original post by Unreg)
I would start by finding dy/dx = 0 to find where the turning points are.
But from what I've done it doesn't get anywhere.
theone
Rep:
?
Sorry to bump this but I need a hand
Unreg
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by theone)
Sorry to bump this but I need a hand
If i had a pen and paper i would help you. plus im going in 5 minutes to the cinema for you-know-what.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you do not get the A-level grades you want this summer, what is your likely next step?

Take autumn exams (102)
48.57%
Take exams next summer (31)
14.76%
Change uni choice through clearing (52)
24.76%
Apply to uni next year instead (19)
9.05%
I'm not applying to university (6)
2.86%

Watched Threads