Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    In my openion all these people that get a* are the reason people fail to achieve above a c because teachers try and maintain the pupils wih A*s and disadvantage others giving them seconds in education.Teachers should just teach everybody equally and give extra support when needed.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does any one agree teaching standards need to change to fit everybods needs not just their A* pupils

ReputationRep:
    teaching everyone equally would not allow giving extra support.

no i dont think its fair that everyone should be taught equally; not everyone is equal

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TIGTIG)
    teachers try and maintain the pupils wih A*s and disadvantage others giving them seconds in education.
    If anything sometimes I think it's the opposite...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theone)
    Absolutely.

ReputationRep:
    yer i agree with u!! if they helped the ones who needed the help then you are giving them a fair chance instead of helping all the clever cloggs who are gonna do well any way!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by donnaxx)
    yer i agree with u!! if they helped the ones who needed the help then you are giving them a fair chance instead of helping all the clever cloggs who are gonna do well any way!!
    But everyone deserves an equal amount of teaching time, regardless of how clever they are, everyone should be pushed to their limit...

ReputationRep:
    But everyone deserves an equal amount of teaching time, regardless of how clever they are, everyone should be pushed to their limit...
    I'm sure that's difficult to manage, especially when you have a class of people of varying abilities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by donnaxx)
    but surely those 'swots' are more willing to learn, and therefore easier to teach?- so are automatically going to get more from lessons etc.
    i'm not saying poorer students shouldn't be helped, but i do think it's unfair that someone who is bright should not be encouraged just because they are talented- everyone has a right to a decent education and should be allowed to reach their potential.

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adhsur)
    I'm sure that's difficult to manage, especially when you have a class of people of varying abilities.
    That's why i think the idea of grammer schools- giving academic students more opportunities, is a good one. It's also why i believe in private education- it's dreadful to make a gifted pupil 'switch off' because they are too clever. I also think that setting of pupils should be encouraged at secondary school especially in core subjects at gcse (definately helped me with my maths, science + french)- that way the teaching is aimed at a smaller range of academic abilty.

lou xxx

I agree with you for the following reason:
    Since the publication of league tables schools have been under extra pressure to get as many students through 5 A* - C grades. Their really bright students will probably get those easily but the ones' who are borderline C/D have to be brought up to C to be included in the % getting A*-C grades.
    I think that league tables should not be published nationally - each school can provide the date for interested parents at Open Days.

ReputationRep:
    dont agree with that at all. as said, people need teaching up to their limits. a few very smart people are worth more than a group of dullards.

putting every1 through university is clearly a waste of time, there are far too many stupid people about.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 5, 2003
Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.