"literature" - pronunciation ? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Kot
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Hi everyone,

I'm interested in how do you (mostly) pronounce a word 'literature'. I've just argued with my
friend .

'li-t&-r&-"chur or 'li-tr&-"chur ?

both pronunciations you can hear at www.webster.com (if you have sound card in pc).

I'm asking you because English is not my everyday language. (Polish is).

best regards and thx for answers. KOT
Cybercypher
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
"KOT" <[email protected]> burbled news:[email protected]:

[q1]> Hi everyone,[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> I'm interested in how do you (mostly) pronounce a word 'literature'. I've just argued with my[/q1]
[q1]> friend .[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> 'li-t&-r&-"chur or 'li-tr&-"chur ?[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> both pronunciations you can hear at www.webster.com (if you have sound card in pc).[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> I'm asking you because English is not my everyday language. (Polish is).[/q1]

Different speakers pronounce the word differently. I think that more speakers of BrE pronounce it
with only three syllables and that speakers of AmE tend to use the 4-syllable version. It doesn't
matter how you pronounce it as long as the people you're speaking to understand it. There is no one
single correct pronunciation.

--
Franke: Grammar 1: Internalized rules for the spoken language. Grammar 2: Formal rules for the
written language. Grammar 1 does not equal Grammar 2.
Einde O'Callagh
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
KOT wrote:
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Hi everyone,[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> I'm interested in how do you (mostly) pronounce a word 'literature'. I've just argued with my[/q1]
[q1]> friend .[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> 'li-t&-r&-"chur or 'li-tr&-"chur ?[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> both pronunciations you can hear at www.webster.com (if you have sound card in pc).[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
I say the latter but I wouldn't regard the former as being in any way strange. If Webster's give
both pronunciations then you can be absolutely certain that both pronunciations are standard. There
are quite a lot of words with more than one correct pronunciation in English
- and not all of these differences are a question of British or American pronunciation.

Regards, Einde O'Callaghan
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (117)
14.13%
Excited (81)
9.78%
Worried (155)
18.72%
Terrified (190)
22.95%
Meh (55)
6.64%
Confused (24)
2.9%