my economics personal st8ment

Watch
This discussion is closed.
*mjg*
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
this is da st8ment that will get me into LSE:

Economics is a rigorous discipline to which I find myself intensely attracted. It is inspiring how the formal and analytical nature of Economics can be used to tackle such distinctly organic and complex concepts as welfare relating society; the enmeshing of mathematized "high theory" and "real world" dilemmas that Amartya Sen embraced. Furthermore, an Economics related degree would allow me to explore, in depth, a range of exciting, multidisciplinary topics as diverse as game theory, a subject only hinted at at A Level and which I would love to explore in university, international trade and development studies.

I am an avid reader of 'The Economist', 'Time Magazine', and 'The Times' having an innate interest in the machinations of the wider world. This year I had an opportunity to experience the captivating, society, culture and economic diaspora of Kenya and Italy. Firstly as a member of Africamp, where I worked with the rehabilitation of street children in Nairobi and was part of a team that reached the summit of Mt. Kenya and secondly with a Comenius Italian exchange. The Kenyan expedition in particular was an eye opener; not only because of the truly different lifestyle, but also because of the hardships we had to face and the critical survival skill we had to learn in a short space of time. Also, it formed an integral part of the Duke of Edinburgh Gold Award of which I am nearing completion. The experience made me aware of the limitations of the market mechanism and distributive inefficiency that leads to severe inequality, yet also how Economics can help to alleviate the poverty in such countries, for example, through microcredit loans.

My choice of AS and A Levels, along with other academic achievements, help consolidate and support my desired degree choice. Economics serves as an introduction to the fundamental role of economic theory in governing the choices of society. General Studies allows me to develop an abstract mode of thought. Business Studies has helped broaden my depth of logical awareness while my study of Home Economics has improved my cooking skills and helped further my sociological awareness. A degree in Culinary Arts Management would also make full use of my economics skills.

Outside of academia, I have a great passion for the arts; a love of literature and poetry. I am also a performing and administrative member of Navrang Arts, a nationally renowned Indian Folk Dance troupe, as well as of Egglescliffe Youth Theatre. Sport is equally important to me: I have played at the club and tournament level in tennis and additionally at county level in badminton, soccer and basketball. Currently, I am looking forward to gaining a coaching qualification in badminton.

Active participation in school life has been rewarding, having been Chairman of the Garibaldi School Council, an Editor of a collaborative publication with other partner schools in Europe, worked as a Peer Mentor for Y9 pupils and managed HSBC Schoolbranch. Additonally, I have been managing director of a Young Enterprise company, have represented the school at the Mansfield Economics Competition, and have been regional semifinalist at the Student Innovation Challenge.

I have high ambitions, and in the future I hope to be successfully involved in economic policy at a high level. In the coming summer, I would like to gain experience in the professional world, perhaps with an internship at a well renowned firmpreferably in management consultancy or investment banking at Accenture or PWC.
GEEZER
Badges: 0
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by *mjg*)
this is da st8ment that will get me into LSE:

Economics is a rigorous discipline to which I find myself intensely attracted. It is inspiring how the formal and analytical nature of Economics can be used to tackle such distinctly organic and complex concepts as welfare relating society; the enmeshing of mathematized "high theory" and "real world" dilemmas that Amartya Sen embraced. Furthermore, an Economics related degree would allow me to explore, in depth, a range of exciting, multidisciplinary topics as diverse as game theory, a subject only hinted at at A Level and which I would love to explore in university, international trade and development studies.

I am an avid reader of 'The Economist', 'Time Magazine', and 'The Times' having an innate interest in the machinations of the wider world. This year I had an opportunity to experience the captivating, society, culture and economic diaspora of Kenya and Italy. Firstly as a member of Africamp, where I worked with the rehabilitation of street children in Nairobi and was part of a team that reached the summit of Mt. Kenya and secondly with a Comenius Italian exchange. The Kenyan expedition in particular was an eye opener; not only because of the truly different lifestyle, but also because of the hardships we had to face and the critical survival skill we had to learn in a short space of time. Also, it formed an integral part of the Duke of Edinburgh Gold Award of which I am nearing completion. The experience made me aware of the limitations of the market mechanism and distributive inefficiency that leads to severe inequality, yet also how Economics can help to alleviate the poverty in such countries, for example, through microcredit loans.

My choice of AS and A Levels, along with other academic achievements, help consolidate and support my desired degree choice. Economics serves as an introduction to the fundamental role of economic theory in governing the choices of society. General Studies allows me to develop an abstract mode of thought. Business Studies has helped broaden my depth of logical awareness while my study of Home Economics has improved my cooking skills and helped further my sociological awareness. A degree in Culinary Arts Management would also make full use of my economics skills.

Outside of academia, I have a great passion for the arts; a love of literature and poetry. I am also a performing and administrative member of Navrang Arts, a nationally renowned Indian Folk Dance troupe, as well as of Egglescliffe Youth Theatre. Sport is equally important to me: I have played at the club and tournament level in tennis and additionally at county level in badminton, soccer and basketball. Currently, I am looking forward to gaining a coaching qualification in badminton.

Active participation in school life has been rewarding, having been Chairman of the Garibaldi School Council, an Editor of a collaborative publication with other partner schools in Europe, worked as a Peer Mentor for Y9 pupils and managed HSBC Schoolbranch. Additonally, I have been managing director of a Young Enterprise company, have represented the school at the Mansfield Economics Competition, and have been regional semifinalist at the Student Innovation Challenge.

I have high ambitions, and in the future I hope to be successfully involved in economic policy at a high level. In the coming summer, I would like to gain experience in the professional world, perhaps with an internship at a well renowned firmpreferably in management consultancy or investment banking at Accenture or PWC.
it still baffles me as how u right such high standard personal statements i will never be able to right a ps like this
*mjg*
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by GEEZER)
it still baffles me as how u right such high standard personal statements i will never be able to right a ps like this
maybe one day you will.
loftx
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
He/She didn't - it's one of the many floating around the web, Jools even has it on his site here.
*MJG*
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by loftx)
He/She didn't - it's one of the many floating around the web, Jools even has it on his site here.
doesnt mean it wont get me into LSE!
:P:P:P:P:P
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I know PS are important, but I think that this statement looks a bit too 'slick'. It obviously oozes from every pore the help of an experienced tutor, which when I read it, I found it a little off putting.

No doubt you will do well, but I think a statement that outlines your genuine interest for the subject that you want to study is just as important.

P.S - by placing 'this is the statement that will get me into LSE' at the top, you are asking for people saying that you are a little arrogant for thinking that.
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by :P:P:P:P:P)
I know PS are important, but I think that this statement looks a bit too 'slick'. It obviously oozes from every pore the help of an experienced tutor, which when I read it, I found it a little off putting.

No doubt you will do well, but I think a statement that outlines your genuine interest for the subject that you want to study is just as important.

P.S - by placing 'this is the statement that will get me into LSE' at the top, you are asking for people saying that you are a little arrogant for thinking that.
I didnt even know that he got it off a website when I wrote the above post, which proves a point that by copying PS's off websites you are asking for people to think 'has he had help with this'.
loftx
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by *MJG*)
doesnt mean it wont get me into LSE!
No, but if you apply using that statement (I doubt you actually will), the admissions tutor will almost certainly recognise it as a plagerism - I recognised it, and remember, these guys read thousands of statments.

Secondly, posting it here is technically a breach of copyright - and while this isn't really a big deal, it would be nice if you actually acknowledged the author.
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by loftx)
No, but if you apply using that statement (I doubt you actually will), the admissions tutor will almost certainly recognise it as a plagerism - I recognised it, and remember, these guys read thousands of statments.

Secondly, posting it here is technically a breach of copyright - and while this isn't really a big deal, it would be nice if you actually acknowledged the author.
I wouldnt worry about threatening him with 'breach of copyright'. e will get his just deserts when he dont get into any good uni on the basis of an obviously forged PS and grades of EEU (was it LSE that wanted you now?)
*mjg*
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
sorry. Nawaz Imam is responsible. Its mi nt tho!
*mjg*
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by :P:P:P:P:P)
I wouldnt worry about threatening him with 'breach of copyright'. e will get his just deserts when he dont get into any good uni on the basis of an obviously forged PS and grades of EEU (was it LSE that wanted you now?)
yeah, but i have applied to other unis. + am doing resits!!! yeah baby!!!
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by *mjg*)
yeah, but i have applied to other unis. + am doing resits!!! yeah baby!!!
How are you even considering LSE with grades last year as EEU?!?!?
Studies have shown people hardly EVER move up by more than one grade, so a DDE is very likely!

Unless sumone died in your family around your exam time i v much doubt youll even get considered by any scrtumbag uni
*mjg*
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
if my PS is good i will get in! yeah baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!
Tek
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by *mjg*)
if my PS is good i will get in! yeah baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!
It isn't your PS, fool.
*mjg*
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
well i'll get another 1 & ill be off to LSE!!! yeah baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
anon
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by *mjg*)
well i'll get another 1 & ill be off to LSE!!! yeah baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
great extra curricular stuff but "soft option" subjects in GS, Domestic Science + Business Studies. These are what really count.
*mjg*
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by anon)
great extra curricular stuff but "soft option" subjects in GS, Domestic Science + Business Studies. These are what really count.
not tru. those subjects r all relevant to economics.
Elle
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Seriously hope your not going there
BABYGUY
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
sorry i cant get my head round this: people with good personal statemnts and AA/AAB Grades yet rejected, yet this assshole thinks he even has a glimmer of a chance with EEU and No personal statemnt. EEU and No Personal statemnt couldnt get you into the worst college in the UK, and thats serious.
kildare
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Yup, that personal statement really does ooze GCSE (E) grade English xthup. The admissons tutors wouldn't be in lthe east bit suspicious about it.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (557)
50.32%
No (550)
49.68%

Watched Threads