Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Well I am thinking of joining the RAF before my 25th birthday, possibly the raf police and on the web-site it says you don't need any formal qualifications except that you need to pass the raf aptitude tests.

What's the best way to prepare for these aptitude tests? Is practising maths by going through a workbook going to be enough preparation for these tests and if any-one else has done these tests before, what subjects do they test you on? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    yeah, do all the mensa stuff, can't do any harm. Does it really help...dunno. Might. I would practice maths from your books, but not so much with pen and paper - you need to have mental agility. That means you should be able to think on your feet, so try to be able to solve puzzles in your head. But this won't sort out your computer-based aptitude test, it just helps with your leadership/problem solving part 2 bit. For your aptitude tests you shouldn't worry too much, their sole aim is to assess how quickly you are able to pick things up. ie it isn't something you are able to change easily, more how quickly you can adapt to a new situation given a set of circumstances. It's inate. Can your hand- and foot-to-eye coordination deal with the fact that you might be spinning in an aircraft whilst your head is getting dizzy, and you need to think straight enough to action the correct drills to recover the aircraft? Probably not an urgent requirement for OC Police, but all candidates at OASC go through the same tests, and on this performance they will assess which branch(es) you suit.

ReputationRep:
    isn't it possible to improve my mental agaility by practising mental mathematics, e.g. trying not to use a calculator and working it out in my head. Would this help me prepare for the aptitude tests ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by md103)
    isn't it possible to improve my mental agaility by practising mental mathematics, e.g. trying not to use a calculator and working it out in my head. Would this help me prepare for the aptitude tests ?
    Yep, that would definately help - for part of the testing process, at least.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dirts)
    Yep, that would definately help - for part of the testing process, at least.
    Are you sure you have to do the aptitude tests for the RAF police? I thought you only had to take them if you were applying for Provost / Security Officer?

ReputationRep:
    Yep, when i went into AFCO the career adviser told me you had to pass the selection/aptitude tests.
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by md103)
    Yep, when i went into AFCO the career adviser told me you had to pass the selection/aptitude tests.
    There is a leaflet that you can get from the AFCO and it has a practice aptitude test that you can do if you are applying for trades. It may be useful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlackHawk)
    There is a leaflet that you can get from the AFCO and it has a practice aptitude test that you can do if you are applying for trades. It may be useful.
    found this link might be quite helpful

http://www.504squadron.org/recruitment/aptitude.php

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.