The Student Room Group

Very fast heartbeat - am I that unfit??

I recently have been finding it very hard to walk even a short distance without feeling like I'm about to die. I went on a short walk today and I could hardly breathe. I had to keep on stopping to have short rests and was walking so so so slowly. I usually hate those people that walk slower then tortoises and again today that was me walking in baby steps.
When I got home my heart was thumping in my chest, I counted it at 161 beats a minute - yet by that time as I was sitting down it was slowing down.
Is this something that I should be worried about?? Or does that mean that I'm just really really unfit and need to exercise more??
BTW I'm not fat

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Exercise now while you're young rather than regret it later when you're lying in a bed because of a heart attack or something.

I am not dramatic at all.
according to my bio techer, my resting heart rate is so high i should be dead..

i can get 120 resting rate..

how often do you excercise btw? if you do start, take it very very easy..
Reply 3
161 whilst walking slowly is not just due to unfitness.

I'd look into that.
Reply 4
How long has been "recently"? Maybe a good couple of night's sleep might help.

And yes, exercise lightly at first, and then build up.
Reply 5
Considering you aren't overweight I think it would be a good idea to see your doctor, in case you have an underlying problem.
i just got 103 and i havent moved from the comp in 2 hours
Reply 7
If you do some sort of exertion, your heart rate will jump from the average 60-80 bpm, to around 140 in a matter of seconds.

going down fairly fast is normal as well.

But 162 after walking, i'm not so sure about (there is little difference in heart rates whilst exercising between the fit and unfit, only large difference is in resting heart rate and recovery time)

Yes with a heart rate of 120 you should be dead...
Out of interest what is a healthy resting heart rate?
60-80
Reply 10
ViolatedTreason
60-80

But if your athletic and fit you can knock 10 off that average.
sweetdarling
Out of interest what is a healthy resting heart rate?

60-80 is average, Under 70 is healthy, under 60 is even healthier, and under 50 is so healthy it has a special name : Bradycardia.

Although in some cases people have low heart rates due to medical issues.

Some of the lowest hr's are in cycling, few even managing to get around 34 bpm. Which is dangerously low
yoshifumu
60-80 is average, Under 70 is healthy, under 60 is even healthier, and under 50 is so healthy it has a special name : Bradycardia.

Although in some cases people have low heart rates due to medical issues.

Some of the lowest hr's are in cycling, few even managing to get around 34 bpm. Which is dangerously low

thats why i don t understand why mine is so high, im a cross country cyclist, with immense stamina.. and pretty damn fit, i just have an incredibly high heart rate..
ViolatedTreason
thats why i don t understand why mine is so high, im a cross country cyclist, with immense stamina.. and pretty damn fit, i just have an incredibly high heart rate..

medical then

Or you were doing more of a fast jog, and you had nothing to eat all day.
yoshifumu
medical then

Or you were doing more of a fast jog, and you had nothing to eat all day.

im not the OP lol..
Reply 15
BillyLiu
How long has been "recently"? Maybe a good couple of night's sleep might help.

And yes, exercise lightly at first, and then build up.

Recently as in about a month or two at most. The way I was walking could hardly be called exercise though - I was stopping at each bustop for a few minutes rest. I was walking very very very slowly.
I doubt it's sleep as again recently I've been sleeping quite a bit - more then normal. (About 10 hours per day).
Kara_Adams
Recently as in about a month or two at most. The way I was walking could hardly be called exercise though - I was stopping at each bustop for a few minutes rest. I was walking very very very slowly.
I doubt it's sleep as again recently I've been sleeping quite a bit - more then normal. (About 10 hours per day).

id go to a doctors about that.. thats not good.
Reply 17
OP and ViolatedTreason... you both need to see a doctor.

A HR of 160 while walking together with you feeling like crap is suggestive of some arrhythmia. It is not normal.

VT... a HR of 103 while sitting on your comp is not normal. You need that looked into... (a resting HR of 120 does not mean you should be dead, but does mean something might be wrong somewhere),
ViolatedTreason
im not the OP lol..

Oh yer!!!

Well you both have the same problem so yer.

Bad food probably. Diet is just as important as exercise.
well maybe start with light exercising.
I personally dont do much but my resting heart beat is 74.
I only walk to work.
so do some walking.

Latest