The Student Room Group

Should I tell someone?

A friend of mine has been depressed for quite a while but recently hes been bringing vodka to school and getting drunk. That is bad enough but the thing is he drives to and from school. Im the only one who really knows or cares that he does this and at first I was just like ''Mick, its stupid and dangerous'' but Ive been thinking about it more recently. If he has an accident its going to be terrible and he might even injure or kill someone innocent and it will partly my fault because im the only one in my normal state of mind who knew and didnt stop him.

I should tell someone right? Who? Head of 6th form?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Report but anonomously if possible. His behaviour is stupid and dangerous.
Reply 2
frost105
Report but anonomously if possible. His behaviour is stupid and dangerous.

It is isnt it :frown: I could tell the head of 6th form and just ask him to not mention it was me that said anything. Its difficult when its your friend :frown:
Reply 3
I was in a very similier situation, I phoned crime stoppers anonomously and anonomously told him he had been reported. As far as I know he has stopped drinking now becuase of that (touch would) but I know its only a tempory fix.

He'll loose his job very soon anyway, if he is drink driving you have a moral duty to report it.
But if head of 6th finds out then your friend will know it came from you. Unless the teacher pretends to figure it out/catch him drinking x
Reply 5
lil_crazyflakes
But if head of 6th finds out then your friend will know it came from you. Unless the teacher pretends to figure it out/catch him drinking x

This is true. I would do it anonomously as much as possible.
Reply 6
AT82
I was in a very similier situation, I phoned crime stoppers anonomously and anonomously told him he had been reported. As far as I know he has stopped drinking now becuase of that (touch would) but I know its only a tempory fix.

He'll loose his job very soon anyway, if he is drink driving you have a moral duty to report it.

Yeh, you are right. It will kill him, or worse, kill somebody who is completely innocent. I really cant let it go
Reply 7
VixenIW
Yeh, you are right. It will kill him, or worse, kill somebody who is completely innocent. I really cant let it go

Its not easy but what made me do it was the fact I realised he could easily kill a 3 year old child.

There simply isn't any excuse for drink driving at all, solving the problem is going to much more difficult but if you report you have done your bit.
Reply 8
lil_crazyflakes

Yeh, true. A couple of other people know he drinks but nobody else has made the connection that he drives aswell - unless they dont care :frown: He would probly work out it was me but I have to say something
Reply 9
Maybe you should gather up a group of friends and try to talk him out of it... would that work?
Is there anyone else close to him that he cares about enough to listen to?
Reply 11
Monteferro
Maybe you should gather up a group of friends and try to talk him out of it... would that work?

I dunno. Possibly. When I was saying how stupid it is and that he could die he said ''Yeh, thats the plan'' :eek: So when somebody is like that about it it might be hard :frown:
Maybe spending some serious time talking over his problems and convince him that it's not all that bad would be the way around it. Although i know that's not as easy as it sounds HUG x
Reply 13
Maybe a shock tactic would work.
Getting a collection of drink driving accident photos together. Or perhaps arrange a drink driving talk at your school, asking whoever does it to not mention that you arranged it.
Reply 14
lil_crazyflakes
Is there anyone else close to him that he cares about enough to listen to?

There is one person. Hes in love with another friend of ours and hes obsessed with her and shes partly the reason hes so depressed. If she said something it might work...
You can't just let him carry on, what if he ran over a baby or something? It may be hard but you have to do something.
Reply 16
VixenIW
I dunno. Possibly. When I was saying how stupid it is and that he could die he said ''Yeh, thats the plan'' :eek: So when somebody is like that about it it might be hard :frown:

I would report him because he's obviously stuck in a state of self pity. Plus maybe get some onfo together on drink drivers. Possibly hint that the same attitude of one person caused the 7 deaths in the Berks crash
Reply 17
shadowkin
If he's depressed, I don't think his behaviour is 'stupid'.

Surely it is when other peoples lives are at risk from it :frown:
Reply 18
VixenIW
There is one person. Hes in love with another friend of ours and hes obsessed with her and shes partly the reason hes so depressed. If she said something it might work...

Thats really unfair on both of them to use her to manipulate his feelings though. Why his he so depressed over her inparticular?
Reply 19
Do you live near him?
Could you walk to school or get the bus in with him?
I know it isn't going to solve the problem but it could reduce the risk, the less time behind the wheel while drunk the better.

Latest

Trending

Trending