buying on the market
specualtor

thanks so much xx
What's Chico Time Precious?
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
share: be nice and pass the sweets round, ie don't hog all the haribo.
Juwel
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Sophie)
Hi could someone define the following terms for me:

investor
dividend
stock market
stock broker
buying on the market
specualtor

thanks so much xx
Share: part of a company. Public limited companies (plcs) offer shares for sale to raise capital, giving in return an equivalent share of their profits.
Investor: someone who puts money into something to gain some back. in this context, a shareholder.
Dividend: The share of profits paid to shareholders.
Stock market: where plcs trade their shares.
Stock broker: a sort of advisor on share buying, hired by clients to help them make money in the stock market.
Buying on the market: shouldn't this be obvious now?
Speculator: Someone who buys shares, not to make money from dividends, but in the hope of selling them when their price goes up to make a profit.

Hope that helps!
ladyblitzer
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago

investor
dividend
stock market
stock broker
buying on the market
specualtor

thanks so much xx
share - part of company’s stock: any of the equal, usually small, parts into which a company’s capital stock is divided

investor - somebody who invests: a person, company, or other organization that has money invested in something, especially one that holds stock in publicly owned corporations

dividend - stockholder’s share of profit: company profits paid pro rata to stockholders, either in cash or in more shares

stock market - financial market: an organized market where brokers meet to buy and sell stocks and shares; financial trading: the activity of buying and selling stocks and shares, or the global market for stocks and shares

speculator - sombody who make risky deals for profit; someone who engages in financial transactions such as commodity trading that have an element of risk especially in the short term with the hope of making a profit

Hope this also helps!
Bhaal85
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago

investor
dividend
stock market
stock broker
buying on the market
specualtor

thanks so much xx
In business, you purchase a share, this can either be in a public limited company (PLC) or a private limited company (LTD). In essence you become somebody who owns a piece of that business. If the company issued 1,000,000 shares, and you bought just one share, you have a stake in the business and own 1 outta 1,000,000th of that business.

Investor
In business and economics, somebody who risks their money in order to gain greater financial/security in the future. It soen't neccessarilly mean that they go into the stock market, it could be through buying houses, and then selling them in ten years time, when the value has increased.

Dividend
Is the payout recieved by shareholders in a company. The payout is based on how many shares you own. If there are a 100 shares, and the company has said they will give total dividends of 1000 pounds. Then 1000/100 = 10. That means for every share you own, you will recieve 10 pounds. Not all PLC and LTD companies pay out dividends.

Stock Market
Are you for real? The stock market is sort of like a market, when you go into ASDA you see what you want, and buy it, if it looks good. The stock market is very similiar, the FTSE 100 represents the top 100 companies. Its the market where you can buy shares into a company that's listed. Only Public Limited companies are listed, not Private limited comapnies. The share prices are listed on the market.

Stock Broker
These are the people you go through to purchase shares from the stock market, and usually charge a fee. There is also a minimum amount you must spend.

Buying On The Market
(See Stock Market and Stock Broker)

Specualtor
These are the spoons who try and predict which shares are best to invest in. Which shares will increase or decrease in value, and base there predictions on information around them. E.g. If a pharmacutical company discovered the cure for cancer, these specualtors would recommend buying shares in that comapany, as its market price is likely to increase.

Phewww!!! I hope this helps. By the way, can you give me some rep for all this hard work, as I did not just copy this from google, I actually spent the time to type, underline and bold type the stuff.
jediknight007
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Wow, 3 replies and it got better every time. I wonder who can provide an even better explanation?
Bhaal85
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by jediknight007)
Wow, 3 replies and it got better every time. I wonder who can provide an even better explanation?
I think mine tops it up, so are you gonna gimme some rep points???
jediknight007
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Bhaal85)
I think mine tops it up, so are you gonna gimme some rep points???
City or United?
Bhaal85
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by jediknight007)
City or United?
Half and half? Cant really say, all I am certain of is ENGLAND all the way!!! :cool: To be honest, I dont really support any team (aprt from our national team), best thing for me has to be the goals that you see on the highlights. I love watching the goals, the skill required to pull them off.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (266)
51.85%
No (247)
48.15%

Watched Threads