This discussion is closed.
FudgeMonkey
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
Hello. Recentley a close friend of mine(who i have known since the age of 5) collapsed and latter died down the local park. I dont want to go into the details but when it happened 5 of our mates were there - and quite frankly they didnt have a clue what to do. It go me thinking....should first aid become a compulsory part of the curriculum?

I really do think it should be, and if u actually stand back and think about it not being taught simple first aid is barbaric, as the simplest procedure could be life saving. It just amazing that something that is so important for every day life is ignored.

Any thoughts?
Juwel
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Yes I strongly believe a larger number of us should learn First Aid. I am certified in it as I recently took a course, which I found quite good. And it's not like there's no personal benefit.
First aiders are desired by employers who no longer have to train staff so as to meet working laws. And of course if you rescue someone you're a hero.

Sorry to hear about your friend by the way.
FudgeMonkey
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
Yes I strongly believe a larger number of us should learn First Aid. I am certified in it as I recently took a course, which I found quite good. And it's not like there's no personal benefit.
First aiders are desired by employers who no longer have to train staff so as to meet working laws. And of course if you rescue someone you're a hero.

Sorry to hear about your friend by the way.

*Thanx*
Unregistered#
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
yeah i want to learn first aid and will probably try to do a coure on first aid in the summer, which is ok because i care about what could happen in an emergency, which many people just don't these days
so yeah i think first aid should become part of the cirriculum

p.s. sorry to hear about what happened to your friend
What's Chico Time Precious?
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
i guess its like a lot of things, obviously not in the same league as first aid but people don't really get taught lifes essentials @ school.
especially in protected environments like public school...
Max Plank
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I read some research (for a PSE project) a while ago that outlined the main reason for not teaching first aid to secondary school pupils:
Badly taught, under confident first aiders are more likely to do more harm than good. It was shown that in more than 40% of cases the first aid given by a school age child was actually more damaging than if the casulty had been left without help. The cases:
a) CPR performed on patients who were still breathing
b) Of these patients many suffered broken ribs, internal bleeding for no good reason. In extreme cases the patient's breathing was distupted/hampered by the CPR.
c) Casulties being put into the recovery position causing spinal damage.

Plus many "would be" first aiders put themselves in danger by helping. Icy lakes..etc. There was a case of an underskilled first aider performing a make-shift tracheotomy on a "casulty" that had actully just become unconcious.

John
Juwel
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Damn. But things like these can make people fear first aiders unnecessarily. People who have been trained well and remember what to do (and I would like to think I'm a good first aider) are more often than not a genuine aid. Maybe first aid should be taught in Y11 or something.
Bhaal85
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I got taught the basic things about first aid, it wasn't fully explained, but they did teach us the recovery postion at school, that was about it. I would have liked to of learned CPR or something at school.
Ralfskini
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Max Plank)
I read some research (for a PSE project) a while ago that outlined the main reason for not teaching first aid to secondary school pupils:
Badly taught, under confident first aiders are more likely to do more harm than good. It was shown that in more than 40% of cases the first aid given by a school age child was actually more damaging than if the casulty had been left without help. The cases:
b) Of these patients many suffered broken ribs, internal bleeding for no good reason. In extreme cases the patient's breathing was distupted/hampered by the CPR.

Plus many "would be" first aiders put themselves in danger by helping. Icy lakes..etc. There was a case of an underskilled first aider performing a make-shift tracheotomy on a "casulty" that had actully just become unconcious.

John
Are you trying to persuade me that well taught first aiders are going to cause more harm than good? Give in!
No fist aid
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by FudgeMonkey)
Hello. Recentley a close friend of mine(who i have known since the age of 5) collapsed and latter died down the local park. I dont want to go into the details but when it happened 5 of our mates were there - and quite frankly they didnt have a clue what to do. It go me thinking....should first aid become a compulsory part of the curriculum?

I really do think it should be, and if u actually stand back and think about it not being taught simple first aid is barbaric, as the simplest procedure could be life saving. It just amazing that something that is so important for every day life is ignored.

Any thoughts?

No I don't think it should be taught in schools personally. Your friend would have died anyway noone would have helped with first aid. I think first aid should be abolished to be honest. Joe Bloggs shouldn't be administering medical attention only qualified doctors.

friend by the way
Juwel
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Bhaal85)
I got taught the basic things about first aid, it wasn't fully explained, but they did teach us the recovery postion at school, that was about it. I would have liked to of learned CPR or something at school.
Try and find a First Aid course man, I would recommend it. I'm so proud of my certificate!
Bhaal85
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by No fist aid)
No I don't think it should be taught in schools personally. Your friend would have died anyway noone would have helped with first aid. I think first aid should be abolished to be honest. Joe Bloggs shouldn't be administering medical attention only qualified doctors.

friend by the way
I think what the original person was saying that perhaps only BASIC first aid should be taught, and not things like 'cutting the thriat and inserting a straw so that they can breathe' type things.
Ralfskini
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by BABYGUY)
who the hell gives a toss about first aid at school, school is for elarning academic subjects and not **** like that. if the ******* hurt himself and he died, then good, thats his problem.
The guy has a point. Some of the things you say make you sound like an ignorant ****.
No fist aid
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Max Plank)

John
Yes I didn't see that before I posted, I completely agree with you well said.
Juwel
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago

friend by the way
Know your role... AND SHUT YOUR MOUTH! First Aiders can help, we keep people alive while the qualified help are on their way. Yes a First Aider could have helped this person. Would you not want someone to help you knowing they could?
And as for Maskall, I could say I hope no-one helps him when he collapses, but I'm not as low as him.
Ralfskini
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago

friend by the way
But if Joe Bloggs happens to be the only person around when Jim Bloggs has fallen unconcsious in urgent need of medical assisstance....

I believe that good first aid training will not make somebody think that they are a fully qualified medic!
Bhaal85
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by No first aid)
You are ****ing sick you evil *******. How would you like to die and we say ggood about you you *******! :mad:
I' imagine he would enjoy it, not that he would live to see our smiling faces.
grrrrrr_d
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
What's more important, Shakespeare or First Aid?

First Aid of course! Shakespeare should be taught at school! Most of the stuff school teachers teach is *******s anyway and will get students nowhere in life. Take English Literature for example. Ok, it's good for the mind and possibly University, but in reality, it isn't practical.

BABYGUY, you are one sick human being. Someone you love might collapse and die one day and you'll know jack about what to do. When that happens, I hope you remember this thread.
Juwel
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by grrrrrr_d)
What's more important, Shakespeare or First Aid?

First Aid of course! Shakespeare should be taught at school! Most of the stuff school teachers teach is *******s anyway and will get students nowhere in life. Take English Literature for example. Ok, it's good for the mind and possibly University, but in reality, it isn't practical.

BABYGUY, you are one sick human being. Someone you love might collapse and die one day and you'll know jack about what to do. When that happens, I hope you remember this thread.
I wouldn't even wish that on anyone he knows.
No first aid
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
If Joe Bloggs was the only one around and was an incompetent moron with a basic first aid certificate which any monkey could probably get, then no, I think I would prefer to wait for the paramedics if it was me that was Jim Bloggs and injured. Imagine if Joe Bloggs stated giving CPR when he failed to check if your heart was still beating and killed you. No thanks leave it to the professionals that do the job day in day out and are fully trained.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (73)
12.33%
Virtual campus tours/open days (143)
24.16%
Live streaming events (51)
8.61%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (55)
9.29%
A uni comparison tool (138)
23.31%
An in-person event when available (132)
22.3%