This discussion is closed.
Bhaal85
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by grrrrrr_d)
What's more important, Shakespeare or First Aid?

First Aid of course! Shakespeare should be taught at school! Most of the stuff school teachers teach is *******s anyway and will get students nowhere in life. Take English Literature for example. Ok, it's good for the mind and possibly University, but in reality, it isn't practical.

BABYGUY, you are one sick human being. Someone you love might collapse and die one day and you'll know jack about what to do. When that happens, I hope you remember this thread.
I think first aid should play a crucial role in our education. Who is to know what lies in store for all of us, we chance fate whenver we cross the road, catch a bus, ride a bike, drive, wouldn't it be nice to think that everybody in the world knew how to perform first aid, it could mean in essence whether you live or die. If we all knew first aid, it would mean that we are less likely to perish, say a loved one fell unconsciouns on the ground with no heart beat, and you dont know first aid, then a passer by sees this and offers medical assistance, you would feel good, cause you now every effort is being done to try and save your loved one.

With regards to BABYGIT Yes, his hamster may die. The guy has the attitude of a three year old, and blatently pises everybody off!

It is with this I bid you all a fond farewell and goodnight.
Bhaal85
No first aid
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by ZJuwelH)
I wouldn't even wish that on anyone he knows.
Either would I. But thats what makes what he said even more nasty, calling someone dead a ******* and good that he died. He wishes it on people obviously
Ralfskini
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by No first aid)
If Joe Bloggs was the only one around and was an incompetent moron with a basic first aid certificate which any monkey could probably get, then no, I think I would prefer to wait for the paramedics if it was me that was Jim Bloggs and injured. Imagine if Joe Bloggs stated giving CPR when he failed to check if your heart was still beating and killed you. No thanks leave it to the professionals that do the job day in day out and are fully trained.
Well, I believe that first aid training should encompass things as basic as the most efficient way to call for help, when you should try to move the person and when not to, how to keep them calm, etc..

If Joe bloggs knew some of these things than the chances of the casualty surviving are much greater than if he were to say 'sorry mate. I may possibly be able to help you, but f*ck it. Ill wait til the paramedics get here. Now dont go dying on me....'
Juwel
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by No first aid)
If Joe Bloggs was the only one around and was an incompetent moron with a basic first aid certificate which any monkey could probably get, then no, I think I would prefer to wait for the paramedics if it was me that was Jim Bloggs and injured. Imagine if Joe Bloggs stated giving CPR when he failed to check if your heart was still beating and killed you. No thanks leave it to the professionals that do the job day in day out and are fully trained.
Most First Aiders are competent and would most likely know how to help Joe Bloggs. We are taught not to make the situation worse. So there.

A person who stops breathing dies in three minutes. The average ambulance arrives 12 minutes after it's called for. Still want the professionals?
Juwel
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Unregisteredd)
First aiders dont know ****, I mean, special needs children and mentally handicapped people take first aid courses in special schools for gods sake. Ive seen them in special needs classes for handicapped pupils where they learn how to cook, basic counting, simple writing and FIRST AID and **** like that. Which is good that they learn these skills but do I want a handicapped person giving me first aid? No. I mean there might be quite a few good first aiders out there no doubt, but for every good one I bet there is 10 bad ones.
Like I say, most First Aiders are competent. Maybe I'll take you up on that bet!
Your off-key generalisation that First Aiders know **** is very immature and is probably instigated by your need to argue and chat crap. I for one believe I could successfully give the correct aid to anyone that needed it right now, and I have faith in all other First Aiders, particularly those that have learned it of their own accord.
I believe First Aid should be offered in schools, maybe not made compulsory. It should definitely be made more widespread.
Max Plank
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Ralfskini)
Are you trying to persuade me that well taught first aiders are going to cause more harm than good? Give in!
My point was not that all first aiders make the situation worse, or that first aid is some kind of "bad thing". Lets face facts - first aid taught at school would be piss poor, teachers having to stuggle with kids who just want to piss about with the dummies etc would not lead to proficient first aiders. Not only that there are some rather well meant but downright stupid kids who would f*ck up CPR etc in a "real" emergency. I would support any decision to provide extra-curricular lessons for those students who are mature and sensible enough to learn.

A little knowledge can do a lot of harm.

John
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
The first thing taught on any first aid course is to call for help - either verbally ordering someone to phone and ambulance or doing it youself.

We were taught first aid in school and to be quite honest it was badly taught - my mum is a swimming and lifesaving instructor (in her spare time for free :proud: ) and I've been trained in resucitation since the age of 10, the way it was taught in school was sorely lacking and I doubt any of the people who were there would be capable of remembering what to do in an emergancy. Badly trained people *are* a problem - but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be taught...just that it should be taught by the St John's Ambulance and a refresher course should be taken every yr...and encouragement for people to keep up to date once they leave school.
FudgeMonkey
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
When i suggested that first aid was taught properly, not by monkeys. Think a first aider (from st johns abulance, or such programme) could come in one lesson a week from yr9 to teach children first aid.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (78)
11.91%
Virtual campus tours/open days (159)
24.27%
Live streaming events (52)
7.94%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (59)
9.01%
A uni comparison tool (153)
23.36%
An in-person event when available (154)
23.51%