Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    My sister and I have just spent some time laughing over many amusing posts made to a site dedicated to childhood beliefs and misconceptions.

http://iusedtobelieve.com/
    On the left there is a list of catergories, have a browse and post any you find particularly amusing if you wish to share them.

---

Anyway- I though I'd ask if any of you have had such experiences, whether it was a long standing misunderstanding, misconception or other...

It doesn't have to be from your childhood; -could be a song you'd misheard/sung or anything similar.

---
    Enjoy the site if you have time to have a look,

Egan

ReputationRep:
    I used to believe becoming a proper Muslim (by way of circumcision) would give me a claim to the level of respect receicved by the adults around me. How wrong. I no longer am a Muslim, I still get treated like a kid (at 18) and I can't wait to leave home.

On a brighter note, I used to believe (or was told that) the jingle of an ice cream van meant it had run out of ice cream! Doh!

ReputationRep:
    I used to believe the channel tunnel was made of glass like one of those shark tunnels you get in aquariums.

I also used to believe that hamsters would hurt you with their claws (i imagined them to be as hard + pointy as a cat or dogs)... i was the only person in my year 1 class who wouldn't hold them...

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    I used to think that left handed people were unlucky because I always found it hard to write with my left hand.

(Original post by ZJuwelH)
    I used to believe becoming a proper Muslim (by way of circumcision) would give me a claim to the level of respect receicved by the adults around me. How wrong. I no longer am a Muslim, I still get treated like a kid (at 18) and I can't wait to leave home.

On a brighter note, I used to believe (or was told that) the jingle of an ice cream van meant it had run out of ice cream! Doh!
    You talk like a kid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DCUK)
    You talk like a kid.
    Hahaha so funny (!) where the hell you get that from???

ReputationRep:
    Hahaha so funny (!) where the hell you get that from???
    You're no longer a muslim! You converted?

Thanks for the site, btw, Egan. Hours of hilariousness.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adhsur)
    You're no longer a muslim! You converted?
    I'm agnostic. But don't tell my folks!!!

ReputationRep:
    I'm agnostic. But don't tell my folks!!!
    Join the club, I am too! My folks know though! In fact my dad is no longer muslim either.

ReputationRep:
    Join the club, I am too! My folks know though! In fact my dad is no longer muslim either.
    Jammy sod, at least you ain't got to lie and cover your tracks all the time. But I enjoy it in a way! My mate calls me CK (a reference to Clark Kent) because I pull off the double life so well! Every day is like a Smirnoff Ice advert for me heeheehee!
    Tell me, why did you convert? And what to?

ReputationRep:
    Jammy sod, at least you ain't got to lie and cover your tracks all the time. But I enjoy it in a way! My mate calls me CK (a reference to Clark Kent) because I pull off the double life so well! Every day is like a Smirnoff Ice advert for me heeheehee!

HAHAHA, just woke up from a looonnnnnnngggggg nap. I didn't expect you to be such a coward. lol!

ReputationRep:
    Jammy sod? lol! Yeah well I would have thought it must be difficult for you, having to keep up with all the traditions which you may not even believe in. It was easy for me - my dad encouraged me ever since I was little to not take anything for granted and learn to think for myself. He said islam has all these contradictions etc, and it's much better doing what you think is right and not what some book tells you. Now, I am more inclined towards the atheist side but I haven't ruled out the possibility of there being a God. My mum still believes but she thinks that she shouldn't have to follow a set guided religion to do that. My family is odd! There's not many muslim people who change their beliefs - that's why I was surprised to learn you did.

Having said that, I still celebrate eid and christmas!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bhaal85)
    HAHAHA, just woke up from a looonnnnnnngggggg nap. I didn't expect you to be such a coward. lol!
    Coward am I, I just want a roof over my head man! I'll fight my corner if they ever find out about my exploits e.g. drinking, pork, gambling etc, but right now what they don't know won't hurt me !

ReputationRep:
    Coward am I, I just want a roof over my head man! I'll fight my corner if they ever find out about my exploits e.g. drinking, pork, gambling etc, but right now what they don't know won't hurt me !
    ........and chicken.

ReputationRep:
    Ive been an atheist all my life. It will take a miracle to change my stubborn beliefs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ralfskini)
    Ive been an atheist all my life. It will take a miracle to change my stubborn beliefs.
    *turns water into wine*

Now do you believe?

ReputationRep:
    They'll have a heart attack if they find out! lol. I have no objections to all those things either. To be honest I'm pretty thankful I'm not a muslim considering all the problems they seem to be causing.

ReputationRep:
    *turns water into wine*

Now do you believe?

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

ReputationRep:
    *turns water into wine*

Now do you believe?

Yeh, youve completely converted me. I REALLY believe that happened!

ReputationRep:
    Jammy sod? lol! Yeah well I would have thought it must be difficult for you, having to keep up with all the traditions which you may not even believe in. It was easy for me - my dad encouraged me ever since I was little to not take anything for granted and learn to think for myself. He said islam has all these contradictions etc, and it's much better doing what you think is right and not what some book tells you. Now, I am more inclined towards the atheist side but I haven't ruled out the possibility of there being a God. My mum still believes but she thinks that she shouldn't have to follow a set guided religion to do that. My family is odd! There's not many muslim people who change their beliefs that's why I was suprised to learn you did.

Having said that, I still celebrate eid and christmas!
    It is difficult, especially knowing I have to lie to people, not nice for someone so keen on the truth. Your dad is great to encourage open-mindedness in you, you don't get that with Bengalis much. It's always "I'm bigger than you, you listen to me", sometimes I feel like saying "Know your role AND SHUT YOUR MOUTH!"
    Yeah Islam is stupid with its contradictions, "We treat women as equals to men, but no women can be in the same room as a man who isn't their husband or dad", so messed up. I was an atheist for a while before deciding I didn't care for God's existence either way, so agnostic it is.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.