Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    They just told me there that they think i should leave school this year and get an apprenticeship to be a joiner. :eek: They've been trying to drill into my head for the past 4 years that i should focus on more academic subjects and that i MUST stay on for 5th year and now they tell me this! The thing is though..i'm a girl. I know girls can be joiners or plumbers or mechanics or whatever but is it not a bit weird? Whats everyone elses opinion on this?
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    naaaah! I would LOVE to be a machanic! It must be friggin great! Getting dirty and greasy, fixing engines, having a laugh with the lads. Shame my parents don't understand this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by need_money)
    They just told me there that they think i should leave school this year and get an apprenticeship to be a joiner. :eek: They've been trying to drill into my head for the past 4 years that i should focus on more academic subjects and that i MUST stay on for 5th year and now they tell me this! The thing is though..i'm a girl. I know girls can be joiners or plumbers or mechanics or whatever but is it not a bit weird? Whats everyone elses opinion on this?
    so girls use plungers and that etc* look at nadia for example. A girl with a plunger. She'd be a good plumber.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe all of your behaviour this past year as made them realise you'll never be a great academic and are trying to push you into areas where you could make a good living and not be too disappointed.

ReputationRep:
    Become a plumber. You'll earn a fortune and will never be short of work - thus being able to work the hours you want

ReputationRep:
    dear learn how to shop like a pro and your done for life

ReputationRep:
    it is a bit weird but so what? im sure you'l be employable you'l stand out simply cause your female you could get into the engineering side of it and be more academic about it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frost105)
    Maybe all of your behaviour this past year as made them realise you'll never be a great academic and are trying to push you into areas where you could make a good living and not be too disappointed.
    But...i'm doing good in school at the moment. I'm in credit for all my subjects and they have no reason to believe i'm going to fail. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    lol...and here was me thinking it was going be "you were planned"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingslaw)
    Become a plumber. You'll earn a fortune and will never be short of work - thus being able to work the hours you want
    Hehe, thats what my dad said. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by technik)
    lol...and here was me thinking it was going be "you were planned"
    :eek: I was planned!
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    pretty much anyone doing an apprenticeship can make shedloads of money as everyone is off doing degrees now.

Have you ever thought about joining the forces? There is a huge misconception about them and you could be a ground engineer for example, earn about £18k after training, get a full pension when you leave, (even in your 30s) get free medical, free dental, very cheap housing (4 bedroom house from £80 a week) and not to mention travelling around the world.

EDIT: that's off the top of my head so I would double check it lol

ReputationRep:
    :eek: I was planned!
    hehe only messin

i was planned too...i think. infact, it doesnt matter

ReputationRep:
    go for it!
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    hehe only messin

i was planned too...i think. infact, it doesnt matter
    my parents thought I was a boy until I was born. They were calling me David

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlackHawk)
    im glad i wasnt a girl. i couldnt have hacked being called aurora.

ReputationRep:
    My opinion, they just want you to have a good job when you are older. I think you just need to ignore them and do whats best for you.
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    LOL interesting name

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlackHawk)
    Exact same for me! lol

ReputationRep:
    i dont even no how to pronounce that! i was going to be called amy if i was a girl :eek:

Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerHow to become an online tutorCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.