My parents have just shocked me... Watch

This discussion is closed.
Ariel4
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by kidney thief)
actually my optician basically told me i wouldnt pass the requirements when i was considering a navy officer application. i assume the UAS and RAF in general would be a lot more stringent in this regard? :confused:
my dad used to be a navy officer and he wears glasses.
kidney thief
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by BlackHawk)
my advice would be to not let any but the RAF tell you the requirements. As in my case, opticians can get it wrong. Why would you need to pass an eye test to be a Navy officer? What branch were you going for? And yes, the RAF is more stringent than an optician.
dunno, it was just one of the questions in the health section of the application form. although my eyesight isnt that bad at all.
anyway, after years of dishing out (friendly) banter at RAF cadets, joining the UAS would be against my principles, even if u do get to fly (crab air,etc lol)

the OTC with its infantry/armoured/artillary sections seem much better
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
dunno, it was just one of the questions in the health section of the application form. although my eyesight isnt that bad at all.
anyway, after years of dishing out (friendly) banter at RAF cadets, joining the UAS would be against my principles, even if u do get to fly (crab air,etc lol)

the OTC with its infantry/armoured/artillary sections seem much better
I wouldn't relay on that health from without getting your eyes properly tested. As for not being able to be an officer due to eyesight, that is rubbish.

Anyway, you would chose a career based on what you learned as principals in the OTC? We could just as easily call you pongos
kidney thief
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I wouldn't relay on that health from without getting your eyes properly tested. As for not being able to be an officer due to eyesight, that is rubbish.

Anyway, you would chose a career based on what you learned as principals in the OTC? We could just as easily call you pongos
i hadnt actually got to the stage of applying yet. it was simply a check up at the optician when i mentioned i might consider a navy application and he basically said forget it as u wouldnt pass the sight test. so i stopped considering it...

why wouldnt you chose a career based on OTC experiences? its pretty much as good a reflection of army life as you are going to get without actually joining the army.

ah pongos, classic. touche. (crabs)
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
i hadnt actually got to the stage of applying yet. it was simply a check up at the optician when i mentioned i might consider a navy application and he basically said forget it as u wouldnt pass the sight test. so i stopped considering it...

why wouldnt you chose a career based on OTC experiences? its pretty much as good a reflection of army life as you are going to get without actually joining the army.

ah pongos, classic. touche. (crabs)

OTC isn't really as accuate as you can get. I would recommend a base visit for a few days, chat to different officers, maybe join a univeristy group like the OTC or UAS. again, DON'T LISTEN TO YOUR OPTICIAN. Let the forces tell you what is ok and not ok. You can wear glasses and be an officer in any force, in any branch except pilot.
Mad Vlad
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I don't understand this code you speak of!
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Mad Vlad)
I don't understand this code you speak of!
what code?
canuck
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I worked at a autobody for 2 years, best job i have ever had yet. Also, the autobody shop was right next to a mechanic shop. I got great advice. Also did a few mechanics classes in school.
Nikki J S
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by need_money)
But...i'm doing good in school at the moment. I'm in credit for all my subjects and they have no reason to believe i'm going to fail. :confused:

Have you asked them why they want you to leave and take up a trade? Perhaps they just want you to have some kind of back up plan if you don't get the grades you want? In any case, you should probably try to find out what their thinking is behind the suggestion. My parents are pushing for me to apply to universities I'm not really interested in (Yep, Oxbridge :rolleyes:)At the end of the day you have to do what you think is right for you, no matter what your parents want (that's what I intend to do). They may not be over the moon about your decision, but they have to respect it's your life and your decision, not theirs. Good luck!
Profesh
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
pretty much anyone doing an apprenticeship can make shedloads of money as everyone is off doing degrees now.

Have you ever thought about joining the forces? There is a huge misconception about them and you could be a ground engineer for example, earn about £18k after training, get a full pension when you leave, (even in your 30s) get free medical, free dental, very cheap housing (4 bedroom house from £80 a week) and not to mention travelling around the world.

EDIT: that's off the top of my head so I would double check it lol
Indeed. Oh, the benefits one can bestow with the second largest defence budget in the civilised World.
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Profesh)
Indeed. Oh, the benefits one can bestow with the second largest defence budget in the civilised World.

They're not nearly enough when you consider the disadvantages of that kind of lifestyle/job imo. :rolleyes:
steve_reloaded
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Go for it!

Wots the problem with girls doing boys stuff and boys doing girls stuff?

Go for it and enjoy!
LawQueen
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
pretty much anyone doing an apprenticeship can make shedloads of money as everyone is off doing degrees now.

Have you ever thought about joining the forces? There is a huge misconception about them and you could be a ground engineer for example, earn about £18k after training, get a full pension when you leave, (even in your 30s) get free medical, free dental, very cheap housing (4 bedroom house from £80 a week) and not to mention travelling around the world.

EDIT: that's off the top of my head so I would double check it lol
NO don't join the forces-trust me I come from an army family (dad, brother, grandad, great-grandad etc) and it couldn't have been more rubbish. It's all status crap-my dad went into the army and because of his family went straight to sergeant-none of this private stuff, same with my brother.
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by ruthiepooos)
NO don't join the forces-trust me I come from an army family (dad, brother, grandad, great-grandad etc) and it couldn't have been more rubbish. It's all status crap-my dad went into the army and because of his family went straight to sergeant-none of this private stuff, same with my brother.
what are you on about?

You come from an army family yet you are recommending someone doesn't look into the forces as a possible career? Where is your first hand knowledge? Also, you are going from experience on the Army, not the forces as a whole. Of course its based on status, its the forces and the have ranks. You climb the ranks after experience so that you are better trained to lead men. Isn't that obvious?
LawQueen
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Obvious that none of the males in my family had to do much climbing. Army houses are crap, the food is crap, the life is crap and the only decent thing is the pensions. They ship you around the world to live in even crapper places-you don't mingle with any of the foreigners much, due to the English army villages set up-really a man-made village replicating England in another country. The army life was absolutly appauling-the government is just desperate for forces so they make it look wonderful. Blackhawk I have first hand knowledge-I've lived it.
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Obvious that none of the males in my family had to do much climbing. Army houses are crap, the food is crap, the life is crap and the only decent thing is the pensions. They ship you around the world to live in even crapper places-you don't mingle with any of the foreigners much, due to the English army villages set up-really a man-made village replicating England in another country. The army life was absolutly appauling-the government is just desperate for forces so they make it look wonderful. Blackhawk I have first hand knowledge-I've lived it.
You're still speaking about the army. I've been in army messes and the food is amazing. The army guys are a good laugh, everything you need is on base, the money is good, the travel is good. Need_Money was seeking advice about her own career, not her future kids. If you didn't enjoy it its probably because you didn't pick it as your life.
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago

Aaaw, sounds like you had a terrible time. I really do sympathise with you. Perhaps things aren't so bad in other forces, or are better depending on the rank you hold. I don't think military life is quite such a bad experience for everyone, but I do understand what you're saying. There are definitely some serious disadvantages to serving in the forces; especially in terms of family life
LawQueen
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Partially true though I am not going into the army-not all army areas are the same-the house we got to live in was an absolute scum hole and probably the best of the bunch considering the others-but I think that's something you should take into consideration-if you join would you want your family to be a part of it. For one person it's fine you can take care of yourself, same with the money and stretching it. They have spare money because everything else is catered for-so they wouldn't need much. I remember going to Munster to live in the army barracks there with about 5/6 other families-they said they weren't aware families were coming and we had to stay in the training hall for about 2 weeks-it was hell and that is only the beginning. I just think it is fair that both sides are the story are put forth. However it has been seven years since my dad left-so things may have got better.
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Partially true though I am not going into the army-not all army areas are the same-the house we got to live in was an absolute scum hole and probably the best of the bunch considering the others-but I think that's something you should take into consideration-if you join would you want your family to be a part of it. For one person it's fine you can take care of yourself, same with the money and stretching it. They have spare money because everything else is catered for-so they wouldn't need much. I remember going to Munster to live in the army barracks there with about 5/6 other families-they said they weren't aware families were coming and we had to stay in the training hall for about 2 weeks-it was hell and that is only the beginning. I just think it is fair that both sides are the story are put forth. However it has been seven years since my dad left-so things may have got better.
That sounds horribe. This have got better but to be honest I wouldn't recommend that a woman join the Army anyway. RAF and Navy are the way to go.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (135)
18.6%
No (440)
60.61%
Not really bothered about them (151)
20.8%

Watched Threads