Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    They're pretty painful, wouldn't a hair removal cream for sensitive skin be better? It's definately a lot easier going, and cheaper.

ReputationRep:
    do they really get your legs as smooth as shaving?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grey faerie)
    do they really get your legs as smooth as shaving?
    nope! thats one thing i dont like about epilators - u dont get the silky smooth feeling that u get with shaving and waxing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mangomaz)
    nope! thats one thing i dont like about epilators - u dont get the silky smooth feeling that u get with shaving and waxing.
    really?? I thought It would have the same effect as waxing.

ReputationRep:
    Did anyone get one of those Babyliss 'Simply Smooth' things that rub you hairs away? I got one and it's complete s****. It never got all the hairs and it made all my legs sore with friction burns.

I find this whole hair removal thing far too complicated. I've got sensitive skin so I always get shaving spots and to make it worse I've got really thick hairs so I've yet to find a hair removal cream that works.

I have considered waxing but I don't like the idea of having to wait until your hairs grow back long to have them done again.

Any ideas?

Kate

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MissisKate)
    Did anyone get one of those Babyliss 'Simply Smooth' things that rub you hairs away? I got one and it's complete s****. It never got all the hairs and it made all my legs sore with friction burns.

I find this whole hair removal thing far too complicated. I've got sensitive skin so I always get shaving spots and to make it worse I've got really thick hairs so I've yet to find a hair removal cream that works.

I have considered waxing but I don't like the idea of having to wait until your hairs grow back long to have them done again.

Any ideas?

Kate
    I feel your pain. My skin is super sensitive too, so I don't want to keep shaving really, but every wax I've tried has been rubbish, and Immac creams didn't seem to dissolve my hairs to the root very well. I want to try an epilator I think, I'm not too bothered about pain, only if it doesn't get all the hairs out then I don't know if it's worth it.

ReputationRep:
    i got a philips ice one recently (pink one)

quick summary:

epilators work by a revolving tweezer mechanism basically, run it up yer leg and it pulls the hairs out!

i find the pain easily bearable, if youve waxed before youll be fine, although it hurts in some areas more than others, and i find finer hairs to be more painful. id recommend getting one if only just for something to try, theyre fairly cheap so its no loss. you get an exfoliating thing and a razor with mine too btw.

on the downside, it misses hairs sometimes, you get ingrown hairs (to be removed by the epilator, of course), and yeah the ice pack thing is crap, i never use it. i find it takes more time than i can be arsed with too, but all in all its pretty quick and convenient.

tadaa!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kingslaw)
    My girlfriend does. Its amazing how much happiness hairlessness can bring to women.
    sounds almost sadistic to me.

ReputationRep:
    Don't Do It They Might As Well Sell Pain In Boxes.

ReputationRep:
    I bought an epilator the Braun sp3470 easy start one. OMG its great, its not that painful as I thought it would be. Heres my review:

I started with the starter head which had a few tweezers and a soft touch to it, it is a very noisy machine, but it is effective, after about 2 strokes up my leg, the whole area I epilated was hairless and smooth, took less than 3 secs. When you use it, youre like ouch, ouch, but then you just get use to it. I got so impatient, that I put the standard one on and put it to full speed, and wow its brill, it pulls it off the root and I didnt have to use the ice pack they gave, instead Im keeping that for headaches. Lower leg was easily done, however when you do it on the thigh, it is more painful, prob becos theres more meat there and on the knee it stings abit. But as long as you pull the skin taut with the other hand, its ok. I think waxing takes longer and is more messier than this.

On the other hand - it doesnt pull out the very very small hairs, and is more painful when the hair is very long. But of course the advantages exceed the disadvantages.

I recommend it to all ladies, and men too, as theres a new one that just came out which does face and body. So goodbye to those horrible beards and chest hair.

ReputationRep:
    And buy it off Amazon cos it's £15 cheaper than Boots, Index and Argos - and Amazon includes delivery!

(Original post by BlueAngel)
    I want to buy an epilator, I know its supposed to hurt badly, but I'm sick of waxing all the time, surely it must be less painful than waxing.
    Ive been reading reviews, and many people have said the Ice ones are *****,
    anyone got an epilator, which one do you recommend me to buy?

I want one with/which:
    plugs into the mains
    used for all over the body
    can be used on sensitive skin
    doesn't take long to use

Love BlueAngel xxx
    An ex-girlfriend used to scream and sob as she epipilated, i remember once telling her that if it hurt that much she wouldn't do it. So she made me epilate a patch of my leg
    sobbed like a fat kid denied chocolate...

ReputationRep:
    OK, I'm a bit stupid about these things, so I need expert advice. I want to get an epilator, and on amazon this one is much cheaper than the others. It's Braun, so a decent make, but I'm a bit wary of how cheap it is. Amazon has it 50% off, and I can't find a single review of it anywhere on the internet. I'm a bit worried, but I'm tempted to get it because I like how pink and cheap it is. Has anyone used this one, or notice anything awry with the spec, because I'm sometimes unobservant.
    Thanks in advance!
    Emma
    xxx

ReputationRep:
    OMG they sound EVIL :eek: gosh i think i will just stick to waxing :eek:

ReputationRep:
    hey, I've never used one before, I shave. But I hate shaving everyday really. How long does it take for hairs to grow back if you use an epilator as opposed to waxing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by covered farm wagon)
    OK, I'm a bit stupid about these things, so I need expert advice. I want to get an epilator, and on amazon this one is much cheaper than the others. It's Braun, so a decent make, but I'm a bit wary of how cheap it is. Amazon has it 50% off, and I can't find a single review of it anywhere on the internet. I'm a bit worried, but I'm tempted to get it because I like how pink and cheap it is. Has anyone used this one, or notice anything awry with the spec, because I'm sometimes unobservant.
    Thanks in advance!
    Emma
    xxx
    It looks fine - I definitely recommend Amazon cos it's so much cheaper. I got the Braun SP3470 which is the step up from the one you've seen but as far as I can see it just doesn't have the cooling pack and starter piece - both of which I think aren't that useful anyway - so I think you've got yourself a good bargin there!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VixenIW)
    I have a philips satinelle super sensitive one. Its pink. Its quite good. It half numbs the skin with a massager thing attached to it so its not as painful as it could be. It cost me bout £40
    :dito:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dragoness)
    OMG they sound EVIL :eek: gosh i think i will just stick to waxing :eek:
    I agree with you...untill there comes such time as women can happily wander around hairy.... :rolleyes: :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nabzp)
    It looks fine - I definitely recommend Amazon cos it's so much cheaper. I got the Braun SP3470 which is the step up from the one you've seen but as far as I can see it just doesn't have the cooling pack and starter piece - both of which I think aren't that useful anyway - so I think you've got yourself a good bargin there!
    Yay thanks! It should be arriving next week, I can't wait! Luckily it gets rid of hairs from 0.5mm long, because I had been letting my leg hair grow a bit but then yesterday could handle it no longer, and shaved it off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by covered farm wagon)
    Thanks in advance!
    Emma
    xxx
    I just bought this model too! Its due to arrive next week...I'm quite excited!

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 11, 2005
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.