Italian Hostage Watch

This discussion is closed.
Douglas
Badges: 0
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by foolfarian)
mmm, there are dozens of papers that have reported this way.
Vienna has made a lovely declaration base don one piece of reporting.
I've said it before, and ill say it again, don't bother making declratations, and going out on a limb ins upport of the US or Italy until the full story is known.
Hey Farian, if you forage around a bit, you'll find a lot of papers that support Vienna's declaration. Since Madam Sgrena had an axe to grind with the U.S., makes Vienna's position the believable one....IMO.
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by yawn)
What am I accusing anybody of? I said I queried whether Wzz's advice had been sactioned by the Ministry of Defence. I was unaware that defence of the realm was a matter of such casual opportunism. :rolleyes:
Yes, it is. Everyone in the armed forces is actively encouraged to raise the profile of their service and aid recruiting. I worked in recruiting for quite a while, and it's a tricky habit to shake.

If someone asks a question on a website like this, it frequently attracts a rather large number of replies filled full of utter nonsense. If my posting correct information helps one person wind up flying who otherwise would have thought it was impossible, then I think that's a nicely philanthropic thing to do.

As far as the Ministry of Defence "patting me on the back" goes, I think they'd very politely hang up if you rang and complained about an RAF officer giving you advice you asked for on the recruitment process :rolleyes:

(Original post by yawn)
I questioned you on whose authority you posted on a student forum, giving advice to young people on joining the Air Force - as an unofficial recruiting officer.

I suggested that Geoff Hoon might take a dim view of it!

Now do you remember?
To be honest, no. I don't think you quite understand what life in the forces is like; I don't need someone's "authority" to comment on the recruiting and selection process, to share my experiences with it, and express my opinions about the job. All I've done is answer questions, and make sure people interested in the job have the facts rather than anything else. Young boys? I don't ask the people who ask for my advice what age or sex they are, I couldn't give a stuff. Look at the number of people in the RAF thread who are in their 30s, looking for a career change or the chance to move across to being an officer.

And I doubt Geoff Hoon takes much interest in the day to day lives of "his" officers.
chilling
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
italian forces are being moved out of Iraq, as much as people would like to believe that it is part of the plan, it is an exit strategy by the italian prime minister, there is alot of pressurre coming from the citizens of italy, after the brutal murder of the special forces agent
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by chilling)
after the brutal murder of the special forces agent
substantiate that or retract it. making accusations of murder cannot be made lightly.
chilling
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
well lets say brutal killing just to make you happy, but either way, the italians aint happy, hence they taking theor troops out, and guess what, the uk is gonna fill the gap
Kew
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by chilling)
well lets say brutal killing just to make you happy, but either way, the italians aint happy, hence they taking theor troops out, and guess what, the uk is gonna fill the gap
You're supposed to substantiate it.
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Vienna)
Be all means have an investigation, but it remains a US Army investigation of US Army practice. We can enjoy further detail and discuss how unfortunate the situation is, but it wont detract from the basic point that is likely to be made, which is that this was a terrible accident and not some American plot to murder an Italian journalist. I would be entirely surprised if an American investigation contradicted the initial US Army statements and found that these soldiers committed murder.
Not much of a surprise...http://www.reuters.co.uk/newsArticle...Tkr/GetContent

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. investigators have found that American troops who shot dead an Italian agent after he secured the release of an abducted journalist did nothing wrong and will not be disciplined, an Army official said on Monday.

"The soldiers were only complying with the standard operating procedures for those checkpoints, so therefore are not culpable to dereliction of duty (charges)," the Army official said.

"Everybody feels terrible about it. But given the climate and the security atmosphere, the security procedures at the checkpoint operations have to be run by the letter," the official added.
Tyler Durden
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
substantiate that or retract it. making accusations of murder cannot be made lightly.
Who's going to hold him to account then?
Jamie
Badges: 18
Report 13 years ago
Not much of a surprise...http://www.reuters.co.uk/newsArticle...Tkr/GetContent

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. investigators have found that American troops who shot dead an Italian agent after he secured the release of an abducted journalist did nothing wrong and will not be disciplined, an Army official said on Monday.

"The soldiers were only complying with the standard operating procedures for those checkpoints, so therefore are not culpable to dereliction of duty (charges)," the Army official said.

"Everybody feels terrible about it. But given the climate and the security atmosphere, the security procedures at the checkpoint operations have to be run by the letter," the official added.
Sigh, why not add all the relevant details?
"The US soldiers were "not culpable" according to the US military report, which Italy has refused to endorse."

"A US army official, speaking on condition of anonymity, said the Italian and US authorities still disagree over the speed at which the vehicle approached the checkpoint and how much communication there was between those in the car and the checkpoint guards"
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by englishstudent)
Who's going to hold him to account then?
Mr.Credibility.
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Sigh, why not add all the relevant details?
"The US soldiers were "not culpable" according to the US military report, which Italy has refused to endorse."

"A US army official, speaking on condition of anonymity, said the Italian and US authorities still disagree over the speed at which the vehicle approached the checkpoint and how much communication there was between those in the car and the checkpoint guards"
Because the fact that the Italians disagree isnt relevant to the outcome of such a report?
Jamie
Badges: 18
Report 13 years ago
Because the fact that the Italians disagree isnt relevant to the outcome of such a report?
No, but is relevant to the fact that this thread was looking at the whole truth, and as far as one party involved in tis are concerned, the full facts have not been revealed/have been denied.
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
No, but is relevant to the fact that this thread was looking at the whole truth, and as far as one party involved in tis are concerned, the full facts have not been revealed/have been denied.
Perhaps you failed to note the quote in my original reply.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (205)
18.65%
No (667)
60.69%
Not really bothered about them (227)
20.66%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise