The Student Room Group

I think I have gone deaf in one ear

I woke up this morning and noticed that it felt like my right ear was under pressure (even when I am walking around) and I cannot actually hear anything from it. I might have an ear ache, we shall have to wait until tomorrow to determine that, but is sudden deafness (of one ear) common?
Reply 1
lessthanthree
yeah, well...kind of.

There are tonnes of possibilities rather than straight deafness.

You could have water on your ear [i get this all the time and it's such a bugger] and you could just have wax buildup, too.

My advice would first be to apply some gentle heat to your ear - like a hot water bottle. This tends to melt the wax and release pressure in the ear canal. It always works for me.

Whatever you do; don't go prodding around with cotton buds, as they can perforate eardrums or push wax further in.

Also it might be an idea to get some "otex" ear drops to clear you out a bit.

If the problems persist, definitely go get some medical attention and a hearing test if needs be.

Thank you, I will try some of those things.
Reply 2
yeh i had the same problem went to the doc and he said it was just wax. His advice was to heat olive oil gently till its warm, but not hot enought to burn. Lie seideways on your bed and ask someone to pour it into your ear. Wait a while before getting up so it drains into your ear. Keep doing this fopr a week and it should just come out out :smile:
Reply 3
I get that occasionally - it drives me insane! It makes my ear area feel kind of numb and a little swollen, too. I usually find that ear wax remover does the trick - either that, or it just goes away of its own accord.
Reply 4
Why do you need to wait til tomorrow to find out if you have ear ache?
I've had that. It couldbe an ear infection.
Has anyone's ear felt like it's kind of switched off and yo hear this faint tone in your ear? Like the connection's gone:redface: It's so wierd.
Cellardore
Has anyone's ear felt like it's kind of switched off and yo hear this faint tone in your ear? Like the connection's gone:redface: It's so wierd.

sounds a bit like tinnitus that.
Worst ear problem i ever had was when my glands swelled right up (now i think about it, it could have been mumps - i got tested for glan fever and that was negative) Horrible

Anyway, i digress. I very much doubt its a build up of wax, but if it is then go get otex or earex. Virigin oil SLIGHTLY warmed might also work. the basic idea is that the oils dissolve the wax (you can try it using candles to get the general idea - water wont dissolve it, but oil will).
I have to admit i always use cotton buds - i know you shouldnt and i should know better, but then im more carful than most, and have been doing it since young. Besides, i am actually now slightly deaf, which might be cos of that...
if you are like me and use IN EAR HEADPHONES or EAR PLUGS alot, then i would seriously advise you go out and get some otex/earex. turn the tv on, lie on your side, and put a few drops into the ear on top until it sounds liek you are underwater. then don't move for 20mins. wipe it out with some loo roll when you get up. do the same with the other.
do that once a month/every 2 months. and it should help loads
Reply 7
Cellardore

I wear hearing aids, switch them off every night! don't know about "that tone" but i think it must be weird to people who'll never know 'silence'! as in nothing at all, cos there's a difference to v quiet and totally silent....!
Sounds like you have an ear infection - I get them all the time with colds and flu. They usually go after a few days, but if its that bad, you can get some medicine for it (2 bottles of syrup - one that tastes like strawberry and one like banana. Yum!). If its related to wax build-up, you can buy these things called ear candles in health shops; they're a native american remedy, and you place one in your ear and light it, and wait until it goes down (they won't burn you, as they stop before getting close to your head). All the wax becomes trapped in a little compartment at the end of the candle.

Latest

Trending

Trending