This discussion is closed.
Grand Poobah
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Just out of curiosity (who am I trying to kid) can anyone suggest some serious (or not) career
alternatives for teachers that pay the same money without having to retrain and preferably are as
far away from a a classroom as possible?

Donna
User 1951
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
On Wed, 19 Jun 2002 20:43:31 +0100, "Grand Poobah" <[email protected] co.uk> wrote:

[q1]>Just out of curiosity (who am I trying to kid) can anyone suggest some serious (or not) career[/q1]
[q1]>alternatives for teachers that pay the same money without having to retrain and preferably are as[/q1]
[q1]>far away from a a classroom as possible?[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>Donna[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
Well assuming you have some pride left we can rule out OFSTED although it is a haven for those who
cannot manage teaching.

Most jobs with comparable salaries will require some retraining but statistically most graduate
professions are better paid than teaching.

There are office jobs which do not have the same salary but opportunities for promotion e.g. the
civil service. Some will have you wishing you were back in the classroom inside a year but some are
rather better than that...a lot depends on what the people are like and that does not come out at
interview.

Beyond that there are jobs which are associated with education such as the library service but they
are reputedly short of cash.

And then there is the job which your posting suggests - a careers officer for teachers.

You don't have to burn your boats (or similar metaphors) as there is a shortage of teachers and it
ought to be possible to get back in to some kind of teaching with a bit of effort

**** http://user1951.tripod.com ****
Information about films,
Jack London, Lara Croft
Shakespeare and ICT program of study
last updated 30 05 2002
Simon Evans
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
On Wed, 19 Jun 2002 20:43:31 +0100, "Grand Poobah" <[email protected] co.uk> wrote:

[q1]>Just out of curiosity (who am I trying to kid) can anyone suggest some serious (or not) career[/q1]
[q1]>alternatives for teachers that pay the same money without having to retrain and preferably are as[/q1]
[q1]>far away from a a classroom as possible?[/q1]

I still teach in Special Ed on a 0.2 contract, but work as a development consultant and project
manager within accessible multimedia production. It was a surprisingly easy transition to the 'real
world of IT' which I kept hearing about as a f/t teacher. I guess it depends on what you taught to
an extent, but a prior teaching career is actually a fairly positive thing to have on your CV.
No-one ever asks why you left

Teacher shortages being what they are you always have the option of drifting out via part-time
teaching. Taking this route you'll probably find it less of an oppressive occupation, remember why
it was appealing in the first place and still want to do a bit...but I suppose that depends on
whether its the kids or the system that you want to escape.

Simon
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (268)
34.1%
No (518)
65.9%

Watched Threads