Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

WHy is marijuana illegal (in the uk) Watch

ReputationRep:
    Well it can **** you up.

Although I'd probably legalise it (as I would most drugs), but this would be accompanied by massive education campaigns etc.

Although does it really matter? People who want it can get it pretty easily.

ReputationRep:
    Due to needless fear mongering from the socially conservative that's why.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Katieloula)
    Because it has proved to cause tendencies towards paranoia and other mental illnesses, many believe marjuana use is also an influence to people to try harder, more dangerous drugs. Smoking marjuana more then twenty times is believed to increase a male's chance of contracting skitzophrenia by 60%.
    Gate way theory is utter b*ll*cks. In the Netherlands Marijuana use is tolerated whilst hard drug use is penalised strongly. This dual system has contributed to the Netherlands having the a rate of hard drug use amongst the lowest in Europe.

You do have a point with the Schizophrenia though.

ReputationRep:
    Because it has proved to cause tendencies towards paranoia and other mental illnesses, many believe marjuana use is also an influence to people to try harder, more dangerous drugs. Smoking marjuana more then twenty times is believed to increase a male's chance of contracting skitzophrenia by 60%.
    The studies in the meta analysis that came out with the 60% figure did not screen for other drugs and had other methadological problems. The researchers behind it disagreed with many of the conclusions drawn by the papers. Fail.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoeJBB)
    Although does it really matter? People who want it can get it pretty easily.
    If pot was made legal, it would be liable for some form of quality control.

Which means the stuff which ***** you up wouldn't be present.

ReputationRep:
    Because weed messes with the balance of chemicals in the brain.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/20...dalcohol.drugs

"Maybe the cannabidiol ameliorates some of the effects of the THC and maybe it actually might be good for you if you are psychotic," said Robin Murray, of the Institute of Psychiatry at King's College London. They reported their research at the second International Cannabis and Mental Health Conference in London.

There is anecdotal evidence that the number of patients in the UK with psychotic symptoms linked to cannabis use is increasing. Professor Murray speculated that this may be linked to the increased THC content of herbal cannabis sold on the street. Cannabis on sale today has roughly doubled in strength in the last decade.

In a second set of experiments, researchers at the Institute of Psychiatry have shown how THC acts on the brain to induce paranoia. "By using brain scanning you can look in real time at the effect of the different components of the cannabis on healthy people and see how it's affecting the healthy brain," said Philip McGuire, a brain imaging expert at King's College London.
    I smoked it for the 4 worst years of my life, and have seen many friends become messed up because of it.. however this is just experience and I do not believe you will think much of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NW8_SW1_EC3)
    Because it comes from brown countries.
    if the articles i read on the internet are accurate, this isn't actually too far from the truth, lol

ReputationRep:
    the stupid chav has gone and mugged someone, so lets just ignore his trolling

ReputationRep:
    the stupid chav has gone and mugged someone, so lets just ignore his trolling, sorry if

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rich2606)
    if the articles i read on the internet are accurate, this isn't actually too far from the truth, lol
    I read something like that on a blog.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dissey)
    Basically this. The laws were made in the 70s when they knew pretty much nothing about Mary Jane. I mean, how stupid is it for LSD to be a Class A drug when it hasn't got any long term ill effects, and when used in a controlled clinical environment has significant benefits for people in therapy for marriage counselling, for example?
    LSD? what! Maybe itrs illegal because people obviously don't use it in a clinical environment :| they use it to have a "laugh", maybe not long term, but it can just stimulate your heart enough until you have a heart attack or your brain swells and kills you Or causes hallucinations where you can jump off buildings. HRmmm , but no long term effects i suppose...:confused:
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    The tsr lib dem team, like the real life lib dems, are fighting to legalize it

ReputationRep:
    the lib dems are then, in fact, dumber than i thought

ReputationRep:
    LSD? what! Maybe itrs illegal because people obviously don't use it in a clinical environment :| they use it to have a "laugh", maybe not long term, but it can just stimulate your heart enough until you have a heart attack or your brain swells and kills you Or causes hallucinations where you can jump off buildings. HRmmm , but no long term effects i suppose...:confused:
    Anything is bad for you if you have too much.

Except maybe Salvia (since we're talking about drugs).

ReputationRep:
    I suppose if evedryone smoked weed then we won't get no work done and stuff in like businesses. But if we only smoke on weekends maybe it's ok like alcohol you know peeps don't smoke alcohol on weekdays. BUT IT'S THEIR choice that is what i mean.

QED

ReputationRep:
    I myself had friends who started to use marjuana and they experienced severe paranoia within a year, so much so they dropped out of school. From personal experience, i'd rather leave pathetic expoilts such as drugs use to the people simply idiotic enough to use them. Additionally, i don't think i've ever seen a "peep" smoke alcohol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mary Jane)
    smoke alcohol
    :eyeball:

ReputationRep:
    Err.. bs. Anyway, whatever you want to believe is fine.

ReputationRep:
    Not proven and people have to already have the mental illness in them to begin with.

ReputationRep:
    I myself had friends who started to use marjuana and they experienced sever paranoia within a year, so much so they dropped out of school. From personal experience, i'd rather leave pathetic expoilts such as drugs use to the people simply idiotic enough to use them.
    Your friends are retarded.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.