ATTN: Masses of Stuff Regarding Contraception Watch

This discussion is closed.
Mangaroo
Badges: 10
Report 12 years ago
They are releasing a new pill progesterone receptor modulators if i remember that will decrease the chance of breast cancer that was increased from normal pills. I think its out in a few years, be sure to read into it, probbly called something like PRM's.
Adarah
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by lessthanthree)
adarah, we're all bound to react differently. I'd not pay much heed to everyone else because the only thing that's important is how you react to it. just stay in tune and try not to bring on any symptoms by thinking about it too much.

if after a couple of cycles you're not happy, just get it changed.
haha, yeah, good advice. I don't want to worry so much that the worry causes me to break out or gives me depression, lol.
I hope things go well, I suppose I'll just have to give a few months to know exactly.

To be totally honest this pills is scaring me. I've only been on it for a few hours and my period pain has gone :confused: .
Lol, well, I'm not complaining if this is down to the pill or not, hahaha. I have no idea what causes my lower back to hurt so much during my period anyway, but obviously it's something to do with hormones or I wouldn't only get it during my period, so I suppose it could actually be down to the pill already! :eek:
or the whole cadbury's chocolate egg I just ate to make myself feel better :rolleyes:

cool :cool:

edit: oh well, back ache is coming back. must have been down to the chocolate egg - i know what I'm treating myself too again tomorrow :P
Adarah
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Hmmm... I've been on this pill for 10 days and well, I don't really still have my period, but i am bleeding a tiny bit still every day. not red blood though, but like the brown stuff - usually only have that on my last day of my period, but it's been like this for a week now.
is this the break-through bleeding some people have talked about? just not sure if this is nothing to worry about of whether the pill isn't working for me or something like that...
Rock Fan
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
i bet it will still not stop people starting a thread saying what pill is most effective etc.
lizziegee
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I have been on the injection for seven years( yes really), and my nurse has advised me to come off it because of the link with osteoporosis ( brittle bones), and I "m thinking of getting the implant is it any good???, dont really want my periods to return when I switch, havent missed those one little bit!!!.
Report 12 years ago
After 3 months? thats crazy! lol I've had 4 different pills in 12months from my doctor to try and find one that my body agrees with (eg morning sickness when definately not pregnant) and he hasn't said a word about it...unless he's a prude but i doubt it lol!

Another lil question lol, iv been on Loestrin 30 for the past 6 months, and everything seems to be fine, apart from the fact my periods are so minute (barly anything and only a day) is this normal? I'm definately not pregnant, thats been checked by doc too (apparently i had to because iv had to change so many times =S) and that came back fine. So has anyone experienced the same? with any of the loestrin products?
dremmel
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
right i've look everywhere and cant find anything to tell me sooooo

yknow when you get like an STI test and ur bf does too how do u like prove (well wrong word since im sure we'd both trust each other but still lol) to the other person ur clean? do you get like a receipt lol or something? also how to they do these tests?
dremmel
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
lol yea, its not that i wudnt trust him and he said he'd trust me i just thought if we kinda agreed to want proof it would be better coz no matter how much u trust someone sometimes u doubt them lol obv as far as i kno (well i kno i am) we r both clean but best off checking
Rock Fan
  • TSR Support Team
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
might be better if this thread was sticky because there's still people making threads about the side affects of the pill.
shell_xx
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I know its not strictly used as a main form of contraception, but does anyone know of a pill similar to Dianette?

I started taking it about a year and a half ago, and during that time my skin completely cleared up However, I also seemed to gain a lot of weight :mad: I came off it last march and lost a lot of weight, but I presumed my weight loss was down to other factors. However, I went back on Dianette in November and since then my skin has been perfect, but my weight has increased dramatically. I can't seem to win!

I also suffer from heavy periods so that factor has to be taken into account, although my doctor advised to take three packs in a row to minimise this problem. I think now I'm older my skin won't be so bad, but I'm concerned about the weight gain. Obviously my doctor is the best bet and I'm booked in for the end of next week, but in the meantime I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions?

BTW - brilliant thread!
Helenia
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I'm bumping this thread in response to the many and varied Pill question threads we've had recently. In future I'll either be merging threads or closing them and directing you to here, so please use this resource!
sloaneypony
Report 12 years ago
Are you likely to put weight on when you go on the pill? I'm absolutely terrified of getting fat on it. Really do not want to put ANY more weight on.

What is the likelihood of it disagreeing with me? I know that's random but are the side effects etc regular?
Agrippina
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by sloaneypony)
Are you likely to put weight on when you go on the pill? I'm absolutely terrified of getting fat on it. Really do not want to put ANY more weight on.

What is the likelihood of it disagreeing with me? I know that's random but are the side effects etc regular?
I didn't put on any weight at all on the Pill. Unless you count the increase in breast size :rolleyes:
sloaneypony
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Rachel)
I didn't put on any weight at all on the Pill. Unless you count the increase in breast size :rolleyes:

No, that's a good thing! I'm lacking there...I'm just severely funny about my weight, which I guess goes from having problems with eating in the past.

I'm absolutely petrified about going on it! It's so irrational, I was the same about having sex, didn't want to get pregnant so just didn't have sex until I was 18....Because I'm really outgoing and sociable everyone thought I'd had sex aged about 14! No...

Do you have to start the pill on the first day of your period? Only my periods are really rather irregular and I never know when I'm going to have one. Could be next week or in 2 months, which would be so very annoying.
Agrippina
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by sloaneypony)
No, that's a good thing! I'm lacking there...I'm just severely funny about my weight, which I guess goes from having problems with eating in the past.

I'm absolutely petrified about going on it! It's so irrational, I was the same about having sex, didn't want to get pregnant so just didn't have sex until I was 18....Because I'm really outgoing and sociable everyone thought I'd had sex aged about 14! No...

Do you have to start the pill on the first day of your period? Only my periods are really rather irregular and I never know when I'm going to have one. Could be next week or in 2 months, which would be so very annoying.
Mine were really irregular before I went on the Pill, which is partly why I went on it. Ideally you should start on the first day of your period, but you don't have to. If you do choose not to, you need to use other protection for a week if you want to have sex.

I'm really glad I went on the pill because my periods were extremely painful and irregular before, but I deeply wish my breasts were smaller. Seems that won't be a problem for you though

No need to be scared! When I first went on the Pill I had kind of morning sickness for a couple of days (ended up throwing up early in the morning) but after that it was fine and I've not had any other side effects (I have very little sex drive however, which may be related to the Pill).
sloaneypony
Report 12 years ago
Obviously I don't want them to get ridiculous or unmanageable, but just a little larger (ie cup or two) would be ok.

I'm already quite moody, I don't want to get even worse. I'm not expecting there to be no changes, obviously, as you're messing around with your hormones and pumping them in. I just want it to be fairly easy...My boyfriend isn't back for about 4 weeks now, so should be ok. Little concerned about the sex drive thing, now!
Anonymous #2
Report 11 years ago
A few questions ;

Getting condoms from planning clinics; is it easy to get them? How many do they give you?

The pill; Is it free on prescription? Also, my periods are irregular sometimes, is it a good idea to go on the pill?!?

the morning after pill; Someone told me that it's not particularly good for you and can cause infertility in the long run - is this true?? Also, can I also get this from my local GP? Would he give me EITHER the pill or the morning after pill? Or could I get both

Sorry to sound so n00bish.
Anonymous #2
Report 11 years ago
ooh! Also, can you get condoms from the GP free??
I just figured it would save me a lot of time if I could get everything at once

And I've just read the posts above.. does the pill REALLY reduce your sex drive?!
Talya
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by lessthanthree)
you could theoretically get the MAP and THE pill in one "sitting" from your GP. I have never had to pay for the pill or anything like that, but it does depend on whether you're still in full time education/are over 19 etc etc.
I thought the pill and other contraception was always free no matter your age... there's a box on the prescription slip that says 'tick if you are getting free of charge contraception'
Fabsgirl
Report 11 years ago
All this information is really good for people on the combined pill, but what about people that are on the mini pill? such as cerazette? Im on this pill because the combined pills tended to cause too many bad side effects such as SEVERE mood swings and unbearable migraines as im a sufferer anyway. Cerazette has given me less headaches and im a happier person but what ar5e the good the bad and the side effects for people who take these?????? x
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (185)
80.43%
Leave (45)
19.57%

Watched Threads