Turn on thread page Beta

Come in if you have a post count of less than 1000 watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scheherazade)
    I started reading them when I was about thirteen, which means I've spent seven years of my life on them!* Seven long years that I'll never get back.

*Although I did other things in between books.
    Burn the heretic! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Natalie Lane)
    Oh but there is an allure. If you think about it, the books are sort of growing with a generation. It started very childish intoducing a magical world for children, then as the children who first read it startet growing the books became more serious too. That's why it holds little appeal to younger children now or people who started reading them after a certain age. The fans sort of grew with it.
    Not for me! If I had been a bit younger when they had been released maybe. They are nice stories and quite well written, but there are just so many books that are better out there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluent in Lies)
    Not for me! If I had been a bit younger when they had been released maybe. They are nice storys and quite well written, but there are just so many books that are better out there.
    Well yes there are others much better, but I guess when you're really into them you read them really fast. I was travelling with friends when the 6th book came out and they read it in a single day! I was quite surprised cause it's huge. Then again they didn't enjoy their day very much.

ReputationRep:
    I love reading a book right the way through without stopping. Haven't done it very often though.

ReputationRep:
    I love reading a book right the way through without stopping. Haven't done it very often though.
    Not when I'm in poland with my friends though, which is what they did.

ReputationRep:
    Not when I'm in poland with my friends though, which is what they did.
    Yes, mean of them! Why would they want to read harry potter (I mean it may be good but not that good) when they have you! It doesnnny make sense!

ReputationRep:
    You should read a book called Freakonomics. It's much better than it sounds and goes by really fast. The questions and conclusions are really interesting!

ReputationRep:
    Yes, mean of them! Why would they want to read harry potter (I mean it may be good but not that good) when they have you! It doesnnny make sense!
    Awww :blushing:
    It was quite mean, I should show you the brilliant picture of our lunch time. all of them sitting around me with their faces buried in their books.

ReputationRep:
    Not yet published: you may still order this title. We will dispatch it to you when we receive it from the publisher.
    Booo! I'm not buying the hardback, I'll have to wait. *Adds to wish list*

ReputationRep:
    Booo! I'm not buying the hardback, I'll have to wait. *Adds to wish list*
    The Freakonomics one?
    Yay
    Last time I tried telling someone to read it they actually laughed at me. But it's so good though! The guy doesn't waste that much time on actual mathematical methods and there's a lot of human behaviour involved. He makes these connections that you'd never imagine but which actually make so much sense

ReputationRep:
    Awww :blushing:
    It was quite mean, I should show you the brilliant picture of our lunch time. all of them sitting around me with their faces buried in their books.
    Yes! I haven't seen a piccy of you!

ReputationRep:
    The Freakonomics one?
    Yay
    Last time I tried telling someone to read it they actually laughed at me. But it's so good though! The guy doesn't waste that much time on actual mathematical methods and there's a lot of human behaviour involved. He makes these connections that you'd never imagine but which actually make so much sense
    I do have a long reading list at the moment though I shall slot it in somewhere...

The end of Faith - Sam Harris (currently reading)
    Earthly Powers - Burgess (currently reading)
    Survivor - Palahniuk
    <---------------------Freakonomics
    War and Peace - Tolstoy
    Metamorphosis - Kafta
    East of Eden - Steinbeck
    Faust - Goethe
    The Magus - Fowles

enough to keep me busy!

Ja just before War and Peace methinks :p:

ReputationRep:
    Yes! I haven't seen a piccy of you!
    Oh, no, I'm the one taking the picture, so they're around me.
    I'm always the one taking the picture

ReputationRep:
    I do have a long reading list at the moment though I shall slot it in somewhere...

The end of Faith - Sam Harris
    Earthly Powers - Burges
    Survivor - Palahniuk
    <---------------------Freakonomics
    War and Peace - Tolstoy
    Metamorphosis - Kafta
    East of Eden - Steinbeck
    Faust - Goethe
    The Magus - Fowles

enough to keep me busy
    Oh, I'm yet to read War and Peace too. I'm currently waiting for a friend of mine to finish so I can borrow his copy.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, no, I'm the one taking the picture, so they're around me.
    I'm always the one taking the picture
    *shakes fist*

:p:

ReputationRep:
    Oh, I'm yet to read War and Peace too. I'm currently waiting for a friend of mine to finish so I can borrow his copy.
    I cant stand borrowing books from people. I have to have my own copy.

ReputationRep:
    I cant stand borrowing books from people. I have to have my own copy.
    I'm like that when it's a book I really like, then I must own it.
    You're just like this friend I have, she's got a thing for beautiful covers too and she buys every book she's read, whether it's good or not. the thing is, if I wait until I have enough money to buy them I won't read anything in a long time! Especially if I get the ones with nice covers. I love used books stores

ReputationRep:
    I'm like that when it's a book I really like, then I must own it.
    You're just like this friend I have, she's got a thing for beautiful covers too and she buys every book she's read, whether it's good or not. the thing is, if I wait until I have enough money to buy them I won't read anything in a long time! Especially if I get the ones with nice covers. I love used books stores
    I am such a sucker for a well designed cover. I don't really like poetry but the faber and faber poetry boks are just gorgeous....

I also collect sets of books.....

Yes, I am weird.

ReputationRep:
    I am such a sucker for a well designed cover. I don't really like poetry but the faber and faber poetry boks are just gorgeous....

I also collect sets of books.....

Yes, I am weird.
    Like I said, just like her.

It's nice. I probably would get better ones if I could afford it. As it is, I'm proud that i got myself the two hannibal book and Red dragon for (does quick conversion) less than 3 pounds

ReputationRep:
    Like I said, just like her.

It's nice. I probably would get better ones if I could afford it. As it is, I'm proud that i got myself the two hannibal book and Red dragon for (does quick conversion) less than 3 pounds
    Ooooh that is a good offer! The oxfam second hand bookshop is really, not cheap, but they sometimes have some books in I want (old ones from a series I collect esp) and I guess it goes to a good cause.

The thing I dont understand is that everytime you buy something from there they give you this really thick colour brochure which must cost a load to print. And I just end up recycling (and Im sure most people dont even bother with that - just straight onto a refuse heap). Surely they could spend the money more wisely on something else?

Poll
Do you have a role model?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.