Turn on thread page Beta

michael howard is now officially the leader of the tory party watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edders)
    wow you really are stupid like you say in your sig, but ill forgive you
    theyre having one spokesman so they can more effectively communicate their message to the public.
    It is odd havong one shadow secretary for two such large areas...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    It is odd havong one shadow secretary for two such large areas...
    I must correct myself:

Health and Education

Tim Yeo MP: Shadow Secretary of State for Health & Education

Tim Collins CBE MP: Shadow Secretary of State for Education

Andrew Lansley CBE MP: Shadow Secretary of State for Health
    From Tory website.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pkonline)
    Not really. Anyone, rich and poor, can and do use the NHS. Private care is much smaller than in other countries.
    In my countries health care is totally private. Here we have NHS and, as edders said, various private companies who you can use if you can afford it.

ReputationRep:
    Whos This Michael Bloke?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TIGTIG)
    Whos This Michael Bloke?
    he is the new clown for the circus that is the conservative party.

ReputationRep:
    Whos This Michael Bloke?
    Is that a serious question?

ReputationRep:
    Is that a serious question?
    Ha yeah actually, is he that guy that had to live the life of a lone parent on benefits and they did a documentry on?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NikNak)
    he is the new clown for the circus that is the conservative party.
    Whys he a clown

ReputationRep:
    Ha yeah actually, is he that guy that had to live the life of a lone parent on benefits and they did a documentry on?
    no that was michael portillo, a completely different character

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edders)
    no that was michael portillo, a completely different character
    oh well hes called michael.Well then they should have elected michael portillo hes brilliant in my oppinion hes not a stuck up toff.

ReputationRep:
    oh well hes called michael.Well then they should have elected michael portillo hes brilliant in my oppinion hes not a stuck up toff.
    He didn't stand.

He's retiring from politics soon.

ReputationRep:
    He didn't stand.

He's retiring from politics soon.
    Oh no why oh well.I dont do pollitics but we need less toffs and more people who know the real world.

ReputationRep:
    Oh no why oh well.I dont do pollitics but we need less toffs and more people who know the real world.
    Howard probably knows the real world better than most.

WHAT?!?!?! THAT POSH TORY?!? The real world is inner city, crime ridden areas!

(Original post by Unregistered)
    This voucher scheme is just an excuse for tories to get some of their private healthcare costs payed for, when they would have paid the full amount anyway.

However, I can see the flipside to this argument (but im not a Tory lol), is that people who go private STILL pay National Insurance, and so deserve some of this paid back to them, as they arent using it (The NHS).

However, the flipside to that argument is, that most people who go private are middle-high earners (eg. the working class rarely pay for private healthcare when they can have it free on the NHS). These middle-high earners have generally had an education which enabled them to be high-earners. And therefore they are repaying their schooling back into society.

It is a stupid argument however (trying not to sound crude but failing ;-), that if working class people are given an incentive to go private .. they will. I am telling you now, they wont!!! This scheme wont ease up pressure on the NHS, because the vast majority of current users will still use the NHS even if they were offered incentives.

In my opinion, it is an excuse for the Tories to have their private healthcare subsidised (which they would have paid for anyway). I think its a good proposal in attracting the middle/upper classes, but the tories need more than this if they want to be the government in 2005.

Ive noticed nobody has responded to my post. What are peoples views?

ReputationRep:
    Why do you say that to many pollitics try to generallise issues they only look with micro views of britains growing diversity therefore they dont know alot about where they live Just look at the New Right party What a load off bull

ReputationRep:
    http://www.conservatives.com/news/ar...m?obj_id=78696

Conservative Party

Dr Liam Fox MP: Co-Chairman of the Party
    Lord Saatchi: Co-Chairman of the Party
    Charles Hendry MP: Deputy Chairman
    David Cameron MP: Deputy Chairman

Commenting on his shadow team, Michael Howard remarked, "this Shadow Team is a radical departure from past practice. The role of Opposition is very different from the role of Government. There is therefore no reason for the Opposition to mirror the structure of the Government."

He added, "today's changes represent an explicit recognition that the Conservative Party needs greater flexibility in our Parliamentary structures if we are to be able to challenge the Government effectively at Westminster. More importantly, these changes will enable us to use the pool of talent we have more efficiently, in order to take our case out to the country and show how Conservative policies can provide a creative, workable and, above all, effective alternative to a failing Labour Government."

Mr Howard said this was especially true of the public services, "where our strengthened arrangements will give issues such as health and education the priority they deserve. Shadow Ministers outside the Shadow Cabinet will, of course, attend when their portfolio is being discussed."

Conservative Party Advisory Council

In addition, the Party Leader has appointed a four-person Conservative Party Advisory Council of John Major, William Hague, Iain Duncan Smith and Kenneth Clarke.

Mr Howard explained, "I want to make full use of the rich array of talent in the Conservative Party. I am delighted that John Major, William Hague, Iain Duncan Smith and Ken Clarke have agreed to form a group which will be part of this Conservative team. We will meet on a regular basis to assess the progress which the Party is making. All four of my colleagues have kindly agreed to campaign for the Party in the country. Those who are still in the House of Commons will be invited from time to time to speak from the Front Bench."

ReputationRep:
    Well his parents were immigrnats and he hardly had a richj childhood. He went to a state school and managed to get into Cambridge. Don't generalise that all Tories went to public schools etc.

ReputationRep:
    exactly my point there all toffs they all want us to go back to their myth of a goldern age.

Well his parents were immigrnats and he hardly had a richj childhood. He went to a state school and managed to get into Cambridge. Don't generalise that all Tories went to public schools etc.
    So he was from a crime ridden, inner city then hum?

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.