The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Scroll to see replies

Guys, whats a rah? Lol people said there's lots of rah's in Woolton hall? Anyone have an opinion on Woolton hall? I've applied there!
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Original post by jessplease
Guys, whats a rah? Lol people said there's lots of rah's in Woolton hall? Anyone have an opinion on Woolton hall? I've applied there!

Rah: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=rah
Woolton Hall's in a good location, right in Fallowfield (second closest hall to Sainsbury's!) yet in pretty part of the Fallowfield campus hidden away from the loud halls. I can't tell you much more than that I'm afraid, I don't know anyone who lives there!
Original post by Thatguywelike.
So... I have literally NO idea which place I want to for... I play some instruments, so a music room would be ideal. But that and self-catering are pretty much the only criteria that are really important to me. So far Oak House seems like a pretty swingin' place so far. IN SUMMARY, what kinds of other stuff do you guys consider to be important when choosing accommodation?

I wanted somewhere cheap (en suite is a waste of money), self catered (catered is grim for several reasons, and I enjoy cooking), and in Fallowfield.

Which leaves Oak House. Apparently, however, the music room is a bit crap (ellakrystina knows about it, if you want to ask her) - the pianos are out of tune etc., but I doubt the situation is much better anywhere else., and you can always practice in your room, if you're not playing the drums / are fairly tuneful / do it at sensible times of the day. And when the money gets tight, you can busk :tongue:

Original post by jowatson
I need some advice on where to actually apply for accommodation- I have no idea where to start!

I was thinking of Fallowfield, specifically Oak House, but I'm not really into lot's of partying and stuff! So would Fallowfield/Oak House be good for me? I'm not looking for somewhere that's completely dead (I've heard that's what Victoria Park is like), but would like the choice of when to go out and when to stay in!

:smile:

To be honest with you, I'm not a massive party animal (I'd got a lot of it out of my system before I came to uni by working behind a bar, and then going travelling) and I go out between once a week and once a fortnight nowadays, although I did used to go out more at the beginning of the year.

Once you're past freshers week (and you really should be going out for that!) there won't be any real pressure to go out. Whilst I have lot of friends in halls, I tend to go on nights out with people who I know from outside halls, so I don't have my flatmates dragging me out.

But essentially, yes, Oak House is quite flexible like that - you could go out most nights of the week if you wanted to, or you could choose to (almost) never go out, as one of my flatmates does. Just be aware that there will be some noise between 9.30 and 11 or so as people gather for pre-drinks and then go out, but this has subsided through the year and it's never been anything that I can't deal with / work through.
Oak House music room is fine. The piano which works is electric and sounds pretty decent.
Original post by theultimateplu
Oak House music room is fine. The piano which works is electric and sounds pretty decent.

...then there are the other two pianos which are just awful :P Music room okay though, more than enough space for band practises etc.

A duck just waddled past my room and seemed to be running away from another one.
duck.jpg

Also, did you see the zombies yesterday?

tumblr_m3gg4o85fM1qb3nv6o1_500.jpg

I need to set up a little camera in my window. So many interesting things happen outside...
Original post by barbarasharonn
Hi. This is Sharonn, international student from Hong Kong. I've firmed Manchester studying Accounting and Finance this September.

I would like to apply accommodation which is located in the city as it is nearer to my department building.
En suite would be better for me and social life is not really necessary for me so I dont really mind about the bars/clubs.

So I have Lambert and Fairfield Halls, Opal Hall and Weston Hall in my mind now. Any suggestions and how long will it take to go to the main campus? Anyone who has photos of inside the halls to share?

Thanks a lot!

There's plenty of bars/clubs in the city campus too, more than in fallowfield I'd say. Lambert and Fairfield halls are actually pretty good in terms of having a social hall because their RA organises so much fun stuff. It's actually great too because it's literally in front of the rail station if you need to go anywhere beyond Manchester.

However, if you're not bothered about the social stuff, then Weston seems like a good choice because it's quite a quiet hall compared to L+F as not much seems to go on. I say this out of experience of living in Weston myself- yes there is definitely groups of louder people that will make noise every now and then, but nothing compared to anything in fallowfield and overall it is quite a boring hall. That might possibly change next year depending on the people that live there, but I think most of the people that apply to Weston are probably more studious and prefer the fact that it's so close to the North Campus buildings.

As for walking to Main Campus it should only take you 15 minutes depending on which route you take, and there's a free University bus that runs every 10 mins to and from main campus, which only take 5 minutes to get there.

And as for Opal hall, I have no idea about it, sorry! I've not met anyone who lives there yet...
Original post by ellakrystina
...then there are the other two pianos which are just awful :P Music room okay though, more than enough space for band practises etc.

A duck just waddled past my room and seemed to be running away from another one.
duck.jpg

Also, did you see the zombies yesterday?

tumblr_m3gg4o85fM1qb3nv6o1_500.jpg

I need to set up a little camera in my window. So many interesting things happen outside...

There were zombies?? Think that would be too much, seeing as I get scared by ducks. Are you on the corner right near moseley gate?

578739_10150710528072623_692377622_9657740_1112685183_n.jpg

No ducks to be seen today, thank the gods.
There were zombies?? Think that would be too much, seeing as I get scared by ducks. Are you on the corner right near moseley gate?

578739_10150710528072623_692377622_9657740_1112685183_n.jpg

No ducks to be seen today, thank the gods.

Yeah, that's me. I have the fairy lights and little bunting flags in my window. And until last night I didn't realise the gate had a name... it's just the sainsbury's-swipey gate, surely? So you're behind Squirrels then? I never realised the building was so big.

At first there was a zombie riding about on a bike terrorising students and then the rest came (with one human filming). It was very odd. I hope we have a University of Lincoln-esque zombie advertisement (youtube it if you don't know what I'm on about).
Yeah, that's me. I have the fairy lights and little bunting flags in my window. And until last night I didn't realise the gate had a name... it's just the sainsbury's-swipey gate, surely? So you're behind Squirrels then? I never realised the building was so big.

At first there was a zombie riding about on a bike terrorising students and then the rest came (with one human filming). It was very odd. I hope we have a University of Lincoln-esque zombie advertisement (youtube it if you don't know what I'm on about).

It's known more colloquially as rape gate, due to it's lovely attribute of never actually closing.

And hahaha yes I would enjoy that, those Lincoln adverts are rather amusing
And until last night I didn't realise the gate had a name... it's just the sainsbury's-swipey gate, surely?

I've always known it as rape-gate. The logic behind the name (and no, I didn't make it up myself!) is that if you were being chased by a rapist, then there's no way that that gate would open in time for you to escape, so that's where you'd be raped (NB to next year's students, I'm not aware of this ever having actually happened!)

I thought it was a fairly universal name? :dontknow:
Reply 1990
To be honest with you, I'm not a massive party animal (I'd got a lot of it out of my system before I came to uni by working behind a bar, and then going travelling) and I go out between once a week and once a fortnight nowadays, although I did used to go out more at the beginning of the year.

Once you're past freshers week (and you really should be going out for that!) there won't be any real pressure to go out. Whilst I have lot of friends in halls, I tend to go on nights out with people who I know from outside halls, so I don't have my flatmates dragging me out.

But essentially, yes, Oak House is quite flexible like that - you could go out most nights of the week if you wanted to, or you could choose to (almost) never go out, as one of my flatmates does. Just be aware that there will be some noise between 9.30 and 11 or so as people gather for pre-drinks and then go out, but this has subsided through the year and it's never been anything that I can't deal with / work through.

Awesome! That's reasurring :redface:) Feel I should clarify that I'm not completely antisocial... haha! Anyway, Thank you!
Original post by Origami Bullets
I've always known it as rape-gate. The logic behind the name (and no, I didn't make it up myself!) is that if you were being chased by a rapist, then there's no way that that gate would open in time for you to escape, so that's where you'd be raped (NB to next year's students, I'm not aware of this ever having actually happened!)

I thought it was a fairly universal name? :dontknow:

It's known more colloquially as rape gate, due to it's lovely attribute of never actually closing.

And hahaha yes I would enjoy that, those Lincoln adverts are rather amusing

What a horrible name... although I can definitely see the logic in it. I use the gate when coming back from work in the early morning and I always get a little anxious that someone could follow me through.

And I've never needed to name it anything as it's just 'the gate' with it being so close to my flat...
Reply 1992
Is the George Kenyon hall a post-grad only hall? That's the impression I got when i started reading about it, but manchester uni don't make it clear on the website? :s-smilie:
Reply 1993
Ah my mistake. It is for postgrads
What a horrible name... although I can definitely see the logic in it. I use the gate when coming back from work in the early morning and I always get a little anxious that someone could follow me through.

And I've never needed to name it anything as it's just 'the gate' with it being so close to my flat...

Ah, but there is also the gate of eternal disappointment, which was open during freshers and meant we were 10 seconds from Font, and now is locked forever and means we are now like 3 minutes from Font :frown:
Ah, but there is also the gate of eternal disappointment, which was open during freshers and meant we were 10 seconds from Font, and now is locked forever and means we are now like 3 minutes from Font :frown:

Oh my god I know. It's stupid, why don't they just add a little swipey gate? Now we have to actually exercise on the way to collect our Dominoes...
Oh my god I know. It's stupid, why don't they just add a little swipey gate? Now we have to actually exercise on the way to collect our Dominoes...

Found out a few days ago that Dominos deliver to the Moseley Road gate. Never move further than necessary...
Found out a few days ago that Dominos deliver to the Moseley Road gate. Never move further than necessary...

That is awesome (and extremely lazy)! I've seen other takeaways deliver there, actually.
That is awesome (and extremely lazy)! I've seen other takeaways deliver there, actually.

I know, right? Sometimes if you're lucky and the gates open they'll come all the way to the flat. Didn't happen today though :frown:
Hi guys, I've got a question about Hornet, the internet service of the University and before ask I wanna say that I'm perfectly aware that downloads are illegal :biggrin:

Hi asked some weeks ago if when I'll arrive for my postgraduate in Manchester I could host some friends (and an user written me that it's possible because none checks and anyhow it is possible for 2 days in any case) and if I can download whatever I want (example: using eMule, Torrent, mIRC) also if the Hornet is a service provided by the University. I asked so because I'm studying in Pisa (Italy) and here everybody download lot of things also if it's illegal because our university service named Serra doesn't checks. It's very difficult to be catched and when it happen they just send you a mail threating you that the account could be disabled for a period.

The same user replied me that it is illegal too in England (I known it) and it's also forbidden by the university internet service BUT despite this everybody use to download with torrent and other P2P programs. The problem is that yesterday I known a girl who did Erasmus in Manchester and she told me that a friend of her got a fine of 80£ and his service was taken down for 2 months just because she downloaded a song.

So, my question is: the policy of internet service administration differ between different halls, between undergraduates and postgraduate or just hes friend was really unlucky? Because for me the 50% of the usefulness of internet is because I download.
thank guys

Latest

Trending

Trending