The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Scroll to see replies

Any opinions about Canterbury Court Burkhardt House and Pankhurst Court? I've chosen them because I wanted to be near to my course department and self-catered.
Also,is there a free wifi access in every university halls?If not, how is the internet access organised?
Thanks in advance!
(edited 11 years ago)
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Original post by jessplease
was owens park one of your options?

2nd Choice. Not that gutted but i was leaning towards Ashburne Tbh
Original post by iamlovinit05
2nd Choice. Not that gutted but i was leaning towards Ashburne Tbh

I was once told they find it harder to fill up owens park, so if its one of your options its highly likely you'll get it, tbh id be happy with any as long as its in fallowfield :biggrin:
Original post by jessplease
I was once told they find it harder to fill up owens park, so if its one of your options its highly likely you'll get it, tbh id be happy with any as long as its in fallowfield :biggrin:

Yea but i wanted to have a music room while being catered. Hope i fit in with the fallowfield crowd! Worried that it might be noisy as I'm on the ground level haha
Reply 2244
Anyone got an accommodation offer for oak house yet? I want to know who I'll be living with haha :smile:
Reply 2245
I got oak house, chesnut court flat 38 I think :smile:
Original post by gropius92
Any opinions about Canterbury Court Burkhardt House and Pankhurst Court? I've chosen them because I wanted to be near to my course department and self-catered.
Also,is there a free wifi access in every university halls?If not, how is the internet access organised?
Thanks in advance!

With regards to internet, all halls have high speed wired internet in all rooms, and some have wifi in some communal areas. The cost of internet is included in your rent for most halls, but some, eg Victoria Hall, have a separate internet package.
Creating your own wireless network is not allowed and (they say) they actively scan for these illegal networks.
(edited 11 years ago)
Haha something just crossed my mind;

Are fire alarms often in here?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk
Original post by Origami Bullets
If it's really going to be a problem for you, then contact the university and they will work something out with you.

I did and all they said was theres nothing they can do so i should start saving now......
(edited 11 years ago)
wow, that's double last years!
Reply 2250
I was wondering if there is a list of things provided in the rooms somewhere on the UoM website? I couldn't find one but all the other unis I applied to had one.
Original post by Maerzin
I was wondering if there is a list of things provided in the rooms somewhere on the UoM website? I couldn't find one but all the other unis I applied to had one.

Minus the inventory when you get here, I don't think there is? Looking round my room though:
Single Bed
Office Chair
Desk with drawers
Cupboard
Mirror (I have two)
Shelf
Bin
Original post by Black-Adder
Haha something just crossed my mind;

Are fire alarms often in here?

Not often, and in my experience they decreased during the year, as people learned to cook! People didn't set them off deliberately (probably because they scared everyone at the beginning of the year with expulsion if they did so!) and so it was usually only when cooking went wrong (and in our case, when we had a small fire :rolleyes:) that they went off.

Original post by Maerzin

I don't think I ever saw one either, but in my room (Oak House with basin) I had
- single bed & mattress
- mattress protector (NB no other bedding is provided)
- desk with three drawers
- two shelves, fixed to the wall, about 1.5m long
- wardrobe with a rail and two shelves
- office chair
- sink
- mirrors (one in the wardrobe, one above the sink)

I didn't get a bin though, so I just bought one in Sainsburys for about £1.50.
Original post by IrishPerson
I did and all they said was theres nothing they can do so i should start saving now......

Thanks for telling us, so we can warn other people. The only thing I can suggest is that you get a student bank account now (all you need is a UCAS offer letter) and use the interest-free overdraft. Do make sure, however, that the bank you choose will let you use the overdraft immediately, i.e. before you start uni.
Original post by llama-beans
Creating your own wireless network is not allowed and (they say) they actively scan for these illegal networks.

One of the neighbouring flats had their own wifi network all year, and the university didn't do anything about it :wink:
Original post by Alirh
I got oak house, chesnut court flat 38 I think :smile:

how do you know already?
Original post by luketaylor777
how do you know already?

It will be because they have an unconditional offer. If you also have an unconditional offer, then you will hear back very soon. If you have a conditional offer, then you will hear back after results day, assuming you meet your offer.
Just paid my deposit today, can confirm its £400. My dad nearly had a coronary :*

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 2258
Original post by Origami Bullets
Not often, and in my experience they decreased during the year, as people learned to cook! People didn't set them off deliberately (probably because they scared everyone at the beginning of the year with expulsion if they did so!) and so it was usually only when cooking went wrong (and in our case, when we had a small fire :rolleyes:) that they went off.

I don't think I ever saw one either, but in my room (Oak House with basin) I had
- single bed & mattress
- mattress protector (NB no other bedding is provided)
- desk with three drawers
- two shelves, fixed to the wall, about 1.5m long
- wardrobe with a rail and two shelves
- office chair
- sink
- mirrors (one in the wardrobe, one above the sink)

I didn't get a bin though, so I just bought one in Sainsburys for about £1.50.

Ah, so fairly similar to what one would expect. :smile: Thanks!
Accepted oak house today :smile: Sy 1.30.208

Latest

Trending

Trending