The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
biotoxic
What's the general concensus around Woolton Hall? Im thinking of making it my first priority accomodation :smile: Is it a nice area? Due to it being in Fallowfields, im guessing it's quite a sociable area?

Thanks! :smile:

I live in woolton hall and i love it! It's not full of rahs! It's a fairly small hall but has a great sense of community. The social life is wicked but i guess that's what u make of it yourself and depends on the people u meet, i've been really lucky. It's right next to oak house, richmond park and owens park so there's always loads of people about. The grounds are really lovely..lawns and trees and squirrels! The rooms are really big too, bigger than my bedroom at home!
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 21
PinkSoda
I live in woolton hall and i love it! It's not full of rahs! It's a fairly small hall but has a great sense of community. The social life is wicked but i guess that's what u make of it yourself and depends on the people u meet, i've been really lucky. It's right next to oak house, richmond park and owens park so there's always loads of people about. The grounds are really lovely..lawns and trees and squirrels! The rooms are really big too, bigger than my bedroom at home!

Just what I wanted to hear :smile: Thanks!
Reply 22
Ramryan
Fallowfield campus is pretty good if you want a lively social life. And by lively I mean parties most nights, not necesarily in your flat, but there's enough action going around for you to have a laugh. Best thing about fallowfield is you can get away with pretty much anything and it's cheap as funk. Bus journey to Uni's about 10 mins usually, City centre 15, so it's not really an issue. Factor in bus pass cost into your weekly rent as obviously it's not included. Victoria Park is very very very very quiet and good if you're the studious type. But you'll still have fun. City Campus is a mixed bag depending on where you live, if you're near Oxford Road there's enough student bars and stuff for a laugh, but the student community is a bit more spread out and not quite as anarachaic as Fallowfield. North Campus city residences I'm not so hot on because they feel too far removed from the university and a bit too close to the real world, but then that might be what you want :smile:

Thanks, that's helped me a lot :smile: What is the difference between Canterbury Court and Pankhurst? I am kind of deciding between them... but I also like Sheavyn!! I just can't see any pictures of the ones in Victoria Park anywhere!
thanks for ur help :smile:
Reply 24
Hi there, I'm just wondering if anyone can tell me anything about Richmond Park? I'm quite interested in it. I've heard its one of the nicer accommodations but some people have said its quite quiet, but I'm guessing that as it's in Fallowfield it can't be too quiet surely? It probably is in comparison to Owen's Park...? I'm looking for somewhere where there is a really good social life and lots of partying but not so much that I never have any quiet in order to be able to do my work if that makes sense? Also, I want to be self catered. Can anyone expand on this/tell me more about Richmond Park :smile: Thanks
Reply 25
Is the Lambert and Fairfield hall known to have any disadvantages? Im thinking a city centre campus (becuase I need to be close to lectures and clubs:smile:) which is en-suite. If anybody knows of any better ones- then can you let me know please :biggrin:

Thanks!
Reply 26
May I have an advice for a quiet (no social life) en-suite catered accommodation ?
Thanks !
NO SOCIAL LIFE?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :O

Even if you LOVE working you still need some sort of social life at university! You will be without friends otherwise.

Ensuite is hard to get sometimes - try Weston Hall or St Gabriels if you are female. No social life would also be the all girls hall in Fallowfield, Ashburne.
Reply 28
I'm trying to decide on my accommodation. I definitely want self-catered and I really want en-suite (but I do like Whitworth).

I'm looking at:
Canterbury Court
Pankhurst Hall
Richmond Park
Sheavyn House
Whitworth Park
and maybe Oak House.

I've read through this whole thread (I have got that much time on my hands) and nearly everyone seems to recommend being in Fallowfields. Are you really that out of it if you're in Victoria Park or City? I want somewhere that's got a good social life but where you can get some peace to study.

If anyone could give me opinions on any of the ones I mentioned, it'd be really appreciated.
Oh and how much is it for the bus to the campus and back from Fallowfields? And how close is Whitworth to where the philosophy lectures are?
Reply 29
Fallowfield (Oak House) is the best place to live, hands down. If I was you, if you definitely want self-catered, put down at least one self-catered, shared bathroom option because if you put down three self-catered ensuites, you might not get any of them.

I know a lot of people who applied for Sheavyn, Richmond Park and Canterbury Court (or somewhere like that), and they've ended up in Owens Park or in one of the catered halls in VP. Self-catered ensuite is always oversubscribed. Putting down something like Sheavyn, RP, Oak House means that you're at least likely to get Oak House. Or Whitworth Park, or somewhere like that.

No-one knows where your lectures are going to be exactly, but Whitworth Park is right on the Oxford Road campus where you will have lectures/tutorials/whatevs.
Reply 30
OhNO!
Fallowfield (Oak House) is the best place to live, hands down. If I was you, if you definitely want self-catered, put down at least one self-catered, shared bathroom option because if you put down three self-catered ensuites, you might not get any of them.

I know a lot of people who applied for Sheavyn, Richmond Park and Canterbury Court (or somewhere like that), and they've ended up in Owens Park or in one of the catered halls in VP. Self-catered ensuite is always oversubscribed. Putting down something like Sheavyn, RP, Oak House means that you're at least likely to get Oak House. Or Whitworth Park, or somewhere like that.

No-one knows where your lectures are going to be exactly, but Whitworth Park is right on the Oxford Road campus where you will have lectures/tutorials/whatevs.

Uh oh... I applied for accommodation on Jan 1st (I'm on a gap year and already have a place hence the early application, thought I'd get it out of the way!) and I put Sheavyn, Richmond and Canterbury... do you think it's worth changing? Oh and does anyone know the dates for the accommodation open day thingy? I believe it's in March sometime but don't know exactly when?
Reply 31
emansell1
Uh oh... I applied for accommodation on Jan 1st (I'm on a gap year and already have a place hence the early application, thought I'd get it out of the way!) and I put Sheavyn, Richmond and Canterbury... do you think it's worth changing? Oh and does anyone know the dates for the accommodation open day thingy? I believe it's in March sometime but don't know exactly when?

oh, it's a bit different if you're on a gap year. people with unconditionals get allocated accomodation earlier than everyone else so you're more likely to get one of your choices.
Reply 32
i was thinking of putting richmond, sheavyn and oak house...obviously i'm gonna wait for the accommodation open day thing (when is that by the way?) i'd ideally like richmond but i think i'd be happy with any of them. i just really don't want to be catered and don't want to be somewhere like owen's park.
cjml
i was thinking of putting richmond, sheavyn and oak house...obviously i'm gonna wait for the accommodation open day thing (when is that by the way?) i'd ideally like richmond but i think i'd be happy with any of them. i just really don't want to be catered and don't want to be somewhere like owen's park.

Tbh, from what I've found, Oak House is virtually no different to Owen's Park
Reply 34
Alex L
Tbh, from what I've found, Oak House is virtually no different to Owen's Park

ahhh ok...i see. thank you for your advice. do you mean that is really noisy, you get no sleep etc?
cjml
ahhh ok...i see. thank you for your advice. do you mean that is really noisy, you get no sleep etc?

I'm not there, but I have friends down there and it always seems pretty lively. But its good fun too, so you need to weigh it up really. I know of a few people on here who are living there this year, so maybe one of them will be able to tell you more
Reply 36
Alex L
I'm not there, but I have friends down there and it always seems pretty lively. But its good fun too, so you need to weigh it up really. I know of a few people on here who are living there this year, so maybe one of them will be able to tell you more

ahh cool. thanks for the advice. i definitely do want somewhere really lively...but just somewhere that you can actually sleep/work too :biggrin: its just that my stepsister was in owen's park last year and said its fun but you never get any sleep and fire alarms go off constantly at like 4 in the morning :s-smilie:
Reply 37
cjml
ahh cool. thanks for the advice. i definitely do want somewhere really lively...but just somewhere that you can actually sleep/work too :biggrin: its just that my stepsister was in owen's park last year and said its fun but you never get any sleep and fire alarms go off constantly at like 4 in the morning :s-smilie:

Hmm I live in Oak House, and I'd say it's marginally quieter than Owen's Park. I mean it's main advantage is it's not by the main entrance like OP is. So when everyone staggers home at the end of the night. If you live in the tower, EVERYONE in the whole of Fallowfield campus (pretty much, that's around 3000 people potentially) will shuffle past your windows singing at the top of their lungs. All of OP's residents, all of Oak Houses' residents, and Richmond etc etc etc. While if you live in Oak House, particularly in somewhere like sycamore, you're more at the back so it's still noisy as your neighbours wake you up, but not too bad. I've been present for 4 fire alarms going off in Semester 1, most in the morning when people were cooking bacon too enthusiastically. The fire alarm ratio is a lot higher in OP though, a fun game that is often played, is to see how many fire alarms can be set off simultanously. And occasionally you will find yourself wondering around fallowfield campus counting the number that are ringing at once.

That being said, it's a total laugh living there and I wouldn't wanna live anywhere else!
Reply 38
I live in Oak House, and I wouldn't say it's unagreeably loud (I live right next the hall bar, as well). I guess it depends on your personality/willingness to invest in earplugs. I've had no problems sleeping or getting work done.

I heard that in OP, they tell you not to bother leaving your room until the fire alarm has been going off for 15 minutes, because they get set off so often. That'd drive me mental, also pretty dangerous.
Reply 39
I like the look of Richmond Park and Sheavyn House ... anyone got any opinions on these?

Latest

Trending

Trending