Turn on thread page Beta

Anyone have a kitchen/potwashing job? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi, well I'm looking for a job as a potwasher/kitchen porter or something like that. Basically just something fairly unsociable where I don't have to talk to customers and I don't have to look nice! I was just wondering where I could find a job like this? My uni's career website lists part time jobs but theres nothing suitable on there at the moment, and I've had a look on a few jobs websites but I've found them all a bit confusing tbh. I live in a fairly big town (Swansea) so there should be something. So should I be looking at websites/local newspapers, or just walking around and asking in places?

Thanks to anyone who has any advice. Oh and if anyone wants to share their experiences of doing this sort of work, that would be great too!

ReputationRep:
    Oh God, I can't think of anything worse! I hate washing up! Anyway, ring round loads of local restaurants to see if they have anything going?

ReputationRep:
    Its one of those jobs you either can just get on with or totally hate. Be warned though that chefs can be really unpredictable and if you miss one little bit of dirt, theyll flip. Trust me, I've seen plates and glasses fly across the kitchen loads of time.
    However, back to your question, as stated just ring around local restaurants - places are always looking for KPs and potwashers.

ReputationRep:
    Cool, thanks guys, I'll have a ring round!

ReputationRep:
    Chef's can be very unpredictable and god knows they swear an awful lot. I worked as a waitress, but was sometimes hauled into the kitchen to do odd jobs. If you can cope with it, fine, but be prepared to be shouted and sworn at a lot

ReputationRep:
    hi, well i used to just work in my local pub...
    it was great fun, and you can earn quite a bit, especially during busy periods... however i agree with other that it can be tiring and a bit gross!
    but hey, it means you dont have to be with customers if thats not your thing!
    id suggest to just go to your local hotels or restaurants or bars or pubs etc!

ReputationRep:
    ring resteraunts up, wouldnt get on the wrong side of the chefs tho if they are nictotine deprived!

**** work, but good banter and food mind

ReputationRep:
    I hated every second of the 2 years I was a kitchen porter! The chefs can be horrible if you do something wrong and can make you stay extra to wash up. I also had to chop veg and clean the tables and wait on towards the end. DONT DO IT!

ReputationRep:
    I would recommend the front of house side of things...It allows you to have experience for customer interaction and complaints etc which is very useful to put on your CV.
    I washed up for 2 years, then I was promoted to Assistant Chef. I loved it. We have to start somewhere!
    Its good to catch them when there busy..more likely to say yes!

Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.