Cambridge University Watch

This discussion is closed.
jessie437
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
I am currently a year 11 student and have recently handed in my A and AS level application form.
I am very interested in Cambridge University and would like to give myself the best possible chance of getting in, though of course it is not my only option. However after reading less successful subject choices on their website, I am starting to have doubts about my subject choices.
I would like to study English at uni and have chosen english literature, history, government and politics and fine art. The problem, to my suprise seems to be the fine art. Looking at the website, it seems that art and design is not a desired choice. Is this very different to fine art? Would it limit my choices of being accepted?
Other possibilites for me would include music, possible maths or a language, but I have a passion for fine art.
Help much appreciated
didgeridoo12uk
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
ring them up and ask? its going to be the best way to find out.
Moronic Acid
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by didgeridoo12uk)
ring them up and ask? its going to be the best way to find out.
:ditto:

This is the answer to pretty much every subject-related query yet no one seems to think of it by themselves :p:
Noémie
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
it means nothing if you've got AAA for the other subjects.
Turdburger
Badges: 14
Report 9 years ago
You have english and history which are both excellent choices. Politics is on the ok but not brilliant list if i remember rightly.

Thats 2.5/3 which is perfectly fine
nuodai
Badges: 14
Report 9 years ago
Lit, History and Politics are perfect for studying English, and I very much doubt that doing Art will disadvantage you. I think that doing Fine Art is fine in itself, as it is distinguished from A&D. Hell, I did Music Tech and I still got an offer!

Still, if you're considering Maths or a Language, they're great to have at A-level, so I definitely wouldn't discourage your doing one
millyme
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
If you really like fine art, maybe swap government and politics for maths? They like passion, so it's not necessarily a bad thing to keep the art, but maths goes down brilliantly with admissions whereas g and p doesn't so much. Supposedly maths is the most useful A level, and seems very respected.

Edit: languages are good too, especially as you want to do English, since you can babble on about different language styles and techniques bla bla bla...

Government and politics sounds interesting but isn't one of the most respected A levels. I'd only do one of g/p and fine art.
dougiemacs
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
hang on if maths is a possibilty i would do that over government and politics or fine art. Far more respected, and maths english and history is an extremely strong combination.
jessie437
thanks for these replies they are really useful but I now have two other questions.
Providing I get AAA, does it really matter?
And I really dont like maths to be honest, so Id only do it if it was absolutely necessary.
Are any of you at cambridge currently or have been there? What were your combinations if they were similar?
im so academic
Badges: 13
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by jessie437)
I am currently a year 11 student and have recently handed in my A and AS level application form.
I am very interested in Cambridge University and would like to give myself the best possible chance of getting in, though of course it is not my only option. However after reading less successful subject choices on their website, I am starting to have doubts about my subject choices.
I would like to study English at uni and have chosen english literature, history, government and politics and fine art. The problem, to my suprise seems to be the fine art. Looking at the website, it seems that art and design is not a desired choice. Is this very different to fine art? Would it limit my choices of being accepted?
Other possibilites for me would include music, possible maths or a language, but I have a passion for fine art.
Help much appreciated
take English Lit, History, Politics and a Language.
millyme
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It does matter, even if you get AAA. Plenty of AAAs are rejected, don't forget!

If you don't like maths, don't take it. How about a language- french or german? The general rule is to try to have at least 3 academic subjects.
serrellen
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'm going to Cambridge in October on an AAA offer doing Eng Lit, History and Politics (do to SPS). I don't do a fourth A level and only got a B in the AS I dropped last year (French). I wouldn't bother doing Fine Art as it won't be well-regarded and won't be necessary either, since you're doing three solid A levels anyway. For Cambridge, just do three A levels but concentrate on doing really really well in them (high UMS etc).
millyme
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
BTW, Durham is actually top for English, if league tables matter to you (they don't matter, really- go wherever you want)
im so academic
Badges: 13
Report 9 years ago
Actually, if you could do:

English Lit, History, Classics, Language

if it isn't possible do:

English Lit, History, Politics, Language

DO NOT DO FINE ART!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!
jessie437
(Original post by serrellen)
I'm going to Cambridge in October on an AAA offer doing Eng Lit, History and Politics (do to SPS). I don't do a fourth A level and only got a B in the AS I dropped last year (French). I wouldn't bother doing Fine Art as it won't be well-regarded and won't be necessary either, since you're doing three solid A levels anyway. For Cambridge, just do three A levels but concentrate on doing really really well in them (high UMS etc).
So would you recommend dropping art at AS (my plan anyway!)
jessie437
What is the problem with fine art?
When a cambridge admissions person came to school, he said it could be very good, providing that the personal project had a very academic essay. Would they reject me on the basis of having fine art?
Thanks again these replies are very useful.
In terms of a language, I could do french but I am about a b/A grade at the moment so I am probably unlikely to get an A at A level. Did anyone do classics? It seems interesting.
serrellen
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
When a cambridge admissions person came to school, he said it could be very good, providing that the personal project had a very academic essay. Would they reject me on the basis of having fine art?
In terms of a language, I could do french but I am about a b/A grade at the moment so I am probably unlikely to get an A at A level. Did anyone do classics? It seems interesting.

Don't do a language if you're only on an A/B at GCSE. I was on an easy A* at GCSE and believe me, it gets a LOT harder at AS. I scraped a B in the end. Orals particularly are a bit at A level. Cambridge don't MIND art but they might prefer a candidate with a more academic substitute.
thenewromance1234
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Well it's not very academically stimulating is it. Tbh, even though i don't get why govt. and politics isn't liked, I think that to give yourself the possible chance, you should go for History, English Lit, possibly Economics instead and maybe a Language or Maths?

Because if you're only going to have 4 A levels, you want as much as possible going for you to help you stand out. Because don't forget, lots of people with straight A* and AAAA get rejected.
bluebubbles
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
If you really like Fine Art, do fine art. Don't let your life be determined by one university. People are rejected all the time even with the "right courses", so it really won't matter. Do Fine Art along with two "more relevant" subjects. And I have to disagree with the idea that it's not "academically stimulating". Art is all about expression and skill, just in a different academic sense. I don't take art, never have, never will, and I still draw stick figures, but just because I take Econ, History, and English at Higher Level doesn't mean that I'm more "academic" than some of my friends taking art.
jessie437
I have been told that politics is respected for studying english.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 4 Jul '19
  • University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 5 Jul '19

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (78)
19.31%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (163)