The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
jessie437
I am currently a year 11 student and have recently handed in my A and AS level application form.
I am very interested in Cambridge University and would like to give myself the best possible chance of getting in, though of course it is not my only option. However after reading less successful subject choices on their website, I am starting to have doubts about my subject choices.
I would like to study English at uni and have chosen english literature, history, government and politics and fine art. The problem, to my suprise seems to be the fine art. Looking at the website, it seems that art and design is not a desired choice. Is this very different to fine art? Would it limit my choices of being accepted?
Other possibilites for me would include music, possible maths or a language, but I have a passion for fine art.
Help much appreciated

Don't take those subject lists too seriously - they only apply officially for some colleges, and even there are not the be-all and end-all to an application (someone with a strong PS and who comes across well in interview won't be rejected 'cos they have one A-level on the 'B' list!)

If you have a passion for Fine Art A-level, take it. Simple as that. You'll enjoy it (which is an important thing! You gotta study it for 2 years) and presumably will get a good grade too.

...though having said that, a language is a very useful thing to have, and can be impressive in that it's one of the harder A-levels to do...
Reply 41
im so academic
Actually, if you could do:

English Lit, History, Classics, Language

if it isn't possible do:

English Lit, History, Politics, Language

:smile:

DO NOT DO FINE ART!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DO NOT GIVE ADVICE WHEN YOU QUITE CLEARLY KNOW **** ALL

Her choices are fine, she doesn't need to do a language or Classics A Level at all. What would be the point? You need a proficiency in a language to do well in it at A Level, and starting from scratch with Classics would not bode well for getting an A.

Why do you bother coming onto this forum to constantly give bad/wrong advice?
Reply 42
im so academic
Look, face it - Art is NOT a suitable A-Level for a Cambridge degree as it doesn't provide a sufficient academic background. Stick to it as a hobby, actually scrap that, if you want a good chance of getting into Cambridge, you should be interested in your subject (English) i.e. reading about your subject - especially for English :rolleyes:

You NEED to do English Lit and History - sorry but those two subjects are the best for a degree in English. Then Politics, ok it's not as respected as History, but heck, it's so much better than Art - I mean, in Politics, at least you write a bloody essay! Imo, have you thought about Economics? (Excellent choice and complements Politics). Since you are aiming for an A/B in languages, don't take it at A-Level - there are many people that got an A* easy in GCSE French - then went off to get a U in AS Level.

So, what about English Lit, History, Politics and Economics?

You are neither an admissions tutor or a Cambridge student. Fine Art is a perfectly acceptable 4th A Level. Be quiet.
jessie437
I am currently a year 11 student and have recently handed in my A and AS level application form.
I am very interested in Cambridge University and would like to give myself the best possible chance of getting in, though of course it is not my only option. However after reading less successful subject choices on their website, I am starting to have doubts about my subject choices.
I would like to study English at uni and have chosen english literature, history, government and politics and fine art. The problem, to my suprise seems to be the fine art. Looking at the website, it seems that art and design is not a desired choice. Is this very different to fine art? Would it limit my choices of being accepted?
Other possibilites for me would include music, possible maths or a language, but I have a passion for fine art.
Help much appreciated

your allowed one of the not so greatly considered ones, but i personally think government and politics sounds like more of a **** a level than fine art!
im so academic

That sounds like a pretty good combination for your desired degree
im so academic
Look, face it - Art is NOT a suitable A-Level for a Cambridge degree as it doesn't provide a sufficient academic background. Stick to it as a hobby, actually scrap that, if you want a good chance of getting into Cambridge, you should be interested in your subject (English) i.e. reading about your subject - especially for English :rolleyes:

Which is perfectly possible to do while continuing with Fine Art.

im so academic
You NEED to do English Lit and History - sorry but those two subjects are the best for a degree in English.

Funny that. Y'see, I did neither History nor Politics and did just fine getting in for English. You're doing English, that shows you can write essays well enough. History is useful for its contextual value as much as it is for essay writing aptitude. Despite that, it's still not as important as some people make it out to be for an English application.

im so academic
Then Politics, ok it's not as respected as History, but heck, it's so much better than Art - I mean, in Politics, at least you write a bloody essay! Imo, have you thought about Economics? (Excellent choice and complements Politics).

She's going for English not Politics. Why not do Geography and Business Studies too since they compliment Economics? Might as well do Maths as that always help and Physics and Further Maths since they're essentially extensions of the same subject.

im so academic
Since you are aiming for an A/B in languages, don't take it at A-Level - there are many people that got an A* easy in GCSE French - then went off to get a U in AS Level.

I got an A and a B at GCSE languages. I got an A at A-Level. Funny that.

OP, your A-Level choices are as good as mine were. They're more relevant to English Lit than mine were anyway. Fine Art is perfectly acceptable. I'm sure Fine Art provides cultural knowledge and quite a few literary movements are reflected in the art of that period too.
im so academic

You NEED to do English Lit and History - sorry but those two subjects are the best for a degree in English. Then Politics, ok it's not as respected as History, but heck, it's so much better than Art - I mean, in Politics, at least you write a bloody essay! Imo, have you thought about Economics? (Excellent choice and complements Politics). Since you are aiming for an A/B in languages, don't take it at A-Level - there are many people that got an A* easy in GCSE French - then went off to get a U in AS Level.

not having done your GCSE's yet also does not provide a suitable academic background
mizzsnazzter
your allowed one of the not so greatly considered ones, but i personally think government and politics sounds like more of a **** a level than fine art!

:rofl:

art is in the blacklist :rolleyes:

but not politics
Ploop
Which is perfectly possible to do while continuing with Fine Art.

Please, art does not prepare for you an academic degree

Funny that. Y'see, I did neither History nor Politics and did just fine getting in for English. You're doing English, that shows you can write essays well enough. History is useful for its contextual value as much as it is for essay writing aptitude. Despite that, it's still not as important as some people make it out to be for an English application.

good for you, good for you

She's going for English not Politics. Why not do Geography and Business Studies too since they compliment Economics? Might as well do Maths as that always help and Physics and Further Maths since they're essentially extensions of the same subject.

politics - writes essays, economics - writes essays (and a bit of maths), oh yeah, geography OP do English Lit, History, and two of Economics/Politics and Geography

idiot, OP said she would only do maths if she really had to - further maths for an english degree? what have you been drinking?

and business studies is blacklisted, therefore crap - economics is the better option

I got an A and a B at GCSE languages. I got an A at A-Level. Funny that.

yeah, well some have the apitude, and some don't - give it a rest

OP, your A-Level choices are as good as mine were. They're more relevant to English Lit than mine were anyway. Fine Art is perfectly acceptable. I'm sure Fine Art provides cultural knowledge and quite a few literary movements are reflected in the art of that period too.

if she gets rejected, and she asks for a comment why - and they say it's because of the fine art a-level, I will track you down and slap you - I would also be lolling in your face

OP, do History, English Lit, and two of Politics/Economics/Geography

all respected and essay-y
im so academic
Please, art does not prepare for you an academic degree

No A-Level does. Fine Art provides ample knowledge though, I'm sure. Plus, you only need to do 2 out of the 3 'traditional' A-Levels.

im so academic
politics - writes essays, economics - writes essays (and a bit of maths), oh yeah, geography OP do English Lit, History, and two of Economics/Politics and Geography

There's hardly any essay involved in AS Economics apart from one short one at the very end. Unless that's changed of course.

im so academic
idiot, OP said she would only do maths if she really had to - further maths for an english degree? what have you been drinking?

You're not too bright yourself are you? I quote:

im so academic
(Excellent choice and complements Politics).

So what if it compliments Politics? That's just a stupid reason for picking up a subject. As I pointed out, virtually every A-Level can be linked with another, but you don't do them just because they 'compliment' each other.

im so academic
and business studies is blacklisted, therefore crap - economics is the better option

I wasn't serious, but nothing wrong with Business Studies.

im so academic
yeah, well some have the apitude, and some don't - give it a rest

And what's to say that she doesn't have the same aptitude?

im so academic
if she gets rejected, and she asks for a comment why - and they say it's because of the fine art a-level, I will track you down and slap you - I would also be lolling in your face

And if she takes up a subject on your recommendation and gets a B in it because she has no interest in it and subsequently gets rejected because of that B, I'm sure you'll have plenty of 'suitors' just waiting to hassle you.

im so academic
OP, do History, English Lit, and two of Politics/Economics/Geography

all respected and essay-y

Again, why would she need to show aptitude for essay writing when she's already got English?
Reply 50
didgeridoo12uk
ring them up and ask? its going to be the best way to find out.

This. loads of people do it so don't be embarassed or worried.
OP, this is your answer:

Tom
Don't take those subject lists too seriously - they only apply officially for some colleges, and even there are not the be-all and end-all to an application (someone with a strong PS and who comes across well in interview won't be rejected 'cos they have one A-level on the 'B' list!)

If you have a passion for Fine Art A-level, take it. Simple as that. You'll enjoy it (which is an important thing! You gotta study it for 2 years) and presumably will get a good grade too.

...though having said that, a language is a very useful thing to have, and can be impressive in that it's one of the harder A-levels to do...

I'm closing the thread now, because I can see that enough people have called the rather 'unhelpful' posts by those who are in no position to know what A levels to take, having never sat one, have already been rather roundly critiqued.

Latest

Trending

Trending