The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
AT82
Without sounding like an old man I think they had to make it easier after the 2000 exam disaster. I got a B and was told that was the second highest mark edexcel had for that exam. So I got the second highest grade in the country, only 3 people in my college out of 30 past it, it was so bad it made the Daily Mail.

Do you have any past papers for that unit? I would be interested in seeing what it was like...
I did single award AVCE ICT (Edexcel) when I was doing my GCSEs. The units I did were Presenting Information, Serving Organisations, Spreadsheet Design, Systems Installation and Configuration, Systems Analysis and Database Design. I have to say, I thought it was quite ridiculous that all it really involved was following instructions, and if you didn't know how to do something, the teacher would do it for you. It was much more about the huge amounts of work and getting it all done than it actually being remotely difficult. Although the exams were easy, I think they must mark them pretty harshly. In the Serving Organisations exam I did in January of Year 11, I got a low C (63%) and that was the highest out of everyone in my school who took it! :eek: The funny thing is, in the Systems Analysis exam I did in May, which according to the teacher is the hardest, I did no work at all, let alone revision, because I didn't have the time, and I still got another low C (61%). A lot of the questions are just common sense. ICT and business studies are both pretty popular.
Reply 22
Chris87
Do you have any past papers for that unit? I would be interested in seeing what it was like...

I don't personaly its more than four years since I sat this exam. Go to to Edexcel site and try to find the Jan 2001 Systems Anaylsis past paper, I am sure it will be on the net some where.
Reply 23
kellywood_5
I did single award AVCE ICT (Edexcel) when I was doing my GCSEs. The units I did were Presenting Information, Serving Organisations, Spreadsheet Design, Systems Installation and Configuration, Systems Analysis and Database Design. I have to say, I thought it was quite ridiculous that all it really involved was following instructions, and if you didn't know how to do something, the teacher would do it for you. It was much more about the huge amounts of work and getting it all done than it actually being remotely difficult. Although the exams were easy, I think they must mark them pretty harshly. In the Serving Organisations exam I did in January of Year 11, I got a low C (63%) and that was the highest out of everyone in my school who took it! :eek: The funny thing is, in the Systems Analysis exam I did in May, which according to the teacher is the hardest, I did no work at all, let alone revision, because I didn't have the time, and I still got another low C (61%). A lot of the questions are just common sense. ICT and business studies are both pretty popular.

Well I can't exactly say I learn't a lot on my AVCE. Although at least we did Java programming rather than VB. I think the most pathetic module is the networking one, its stupidly easy. It is beyond the point of easy toplogies is about as far as it went.

Nothing about TCP/IP (apart from what an IP address is), no subnetting, no theory on how the data is actually transmitted.

If I was in charged of the AVCE I would make it harder but easier to pass. The wiered thing about AVCEs is there are really hard to pass with a good grade, but the content is actually pretty easy, but then the same can be said with A level Business Studies.
Reply 24
Aj2003
I do AVCE ICT. Last year in year 12 we had 13 students doing the ASVCE and now we have about 8 doing the AVCE, it's a pretty big class compared to most other subjects at A2.

I did it and passed it (a D,D mark :smile: ). Though I can't remember a single thing from it :biggrin:
Reply 25
AT82
Well I can't exactly say I learn't a lot on my AVCE. Although at least we did Java programming rather than VB. I think the most pathetic module is the networking one, its stupidly easy. It is beyond the point of easy toplogies is about as far as it went.

Nothing about TCP/IP (apart from what an IP address is), no subnetting, no theory on how the data is actually transmitted.

If I was in charged of the AVCE I would make it harder but easier to pass. The wiered thing about AVCEs is there are really hard to pass with a good grade, but the content is actually pretty easy, but then the same can be said with A level Business Studies.

In our school, we do VB as it's easier to learn and the teacher knows it better. I know there are 2 networking units, the exam and coursework. Which one are you talking about, exam or coursework?
Reply 26
trev
In our school, we do VB as it's easier to learn and the teacher knows it better. I know there are 2 networking units, the exam and coursework. Which one are you talking about, exam or coursework?

The course work one, maybe the exam one is much harder.
Reply 27
AT82
The course work one, maybe the exam one is much harder.

Ok then. Although I havn't chose the networking one (coursework), I saw the mark scheme and it's manageable. In addition, I saw the exam one too. Some questions on their were easy and hard.

Basically, the networking one is just connecting 2 computers and setting up user accounts, connecting hardware, setting up software, etc... In a way, it can't be that hard.
Reply 28
So I am guessing niether involve any concepts such as phase shift keying? I don't think its even covered in A level computing though, although at least that covers some sort of encoding.
Reply 29
AT82
So I am guessing niether involve any concepts such as phase shift keying? I don't think its even covered in A level computing though, although at least that covers some sort of encoding.

I don't think so. According to the mark scheme of the networking, it sounds like to me it is like setting up a basic network for a home or a small business. :p:
Reply 30
I do AVCE Business we started out with 30 people in our class an now have just 22 still a big (ish) class.
I find the A-Levels easier then the AVCE i agree with the person who said AVCE is harder (i also do 1 a-level)
Its more teach ur self and a lot of reasearch in AVCE where as ur spoon feed in A-levels.
This is the last year the AVCE qualification will exist because its now gonna stop.
The coursework is the hardest part :confused: u really have to do a lot of research.
Reply 31
Samara
I do AVCE Business we started out with 30 people in our class an now have just 22 still a big (ish) class.
I find the A-Levels easier then the AVCE i agree with the person who said AVCE is harder (i also do 1 a-level)
Its more teach ur self and a lot of reasearch in AVCE where as ur spoon feed in A-levels.
This is the last year the AVCE qualification will exist because its now gonna stop.
The coursework is the hardest part :confused: u really have to do a lot of research.

We have an AVCE business class. In year 12 there were 2, and now there's 1, lol.

According to my friend, he says that the coursework is kind of tough, and he is predicted EE (double award).
Reply 32
Samara

I wasn't aware it was being scrapped are sure thid inot just your schoo/college?
Reply 33
AT82
I wasn't aware it was being scrapped are sure thid inot just your schoo/college?

I don't think it will be scrapped completely though. It should be his school scrapping it. I thought schools were to encourage AVCE subjects.

By the way, there is a new GCE Applied (subject) starting from spetember 2005. Hence, it will not be called AVCE anymore.
Reply 34
trev
I don't think it will be scrapped completely though. It should be his school scrapping it. I thought schools were to encourage AVCE subjects.

By the way, there is a new GCE Applied (subject) starting from spetember 2005. Hence, it will not be called AVCE anymore.

Thats great, so I have an AB in a qualificiation that no longer exists:mad:
Reply 35
AT82
Without sounding like an old man I think they had to make it easier after the 2000 exam disaster. I got a B and was told that was the second highest mark edexcel had for that exam. So I got the second highest grade in the country, only 3 people in my college out of 30 past it, it was so bad it made the Daily Mail.

Too bad, you already sound like an old man! :biggrin:

In that case i should get an A in it, if it is that easy :p:
Reply 36
AT82
Thats great, so I have an AB in a qualificiation that no longer exists:mad:

It still exists in a way. They just changed the name of the qualification. You will still have the qualification no matter what.

For instance, CSE is changed to GCSE. People who have CSE still have their qualifications.
Reply 37
I teach avce ICT and its great fun

regards mr j
Reply 38
MrJ
I teach avce ICT and its great fun

regards mr j

Although I don't teach it, I find the course fun too!
Reply 39
I'm doing ASVCE health and social care and its the biggest load of crap ever!

Latest