Are humans able to hear 9th and 10th octaves? Watch

conquest1989
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Im not a musical expert but i heard a piano only goes up to a C8 becuase the notes after cant be heard by the human ear but only by animals. Something about the octaves or high frequency it will produce i was told.
TheTallOne
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Yes.
Teenagers can hear up to around 16-17kHz, babies can hear up to 20kHz. Generally this drops over time.

The 10th octave is at 16.6kHz, so as long as you haven't ruined your hearing (or are old).

Also, see here
Mad Vlad
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by TheTallOne)
Yes.
Teenagers can hear up to around 16-17kHz, babies can hear up to 20kHz. Generally this drops over time.

The 10th octave is at 16.6kHz, so as long as you haven't ruined your hearing (or are old).

Also, see here
I can hear up to ~21.5kHz. You're right that hearing sensitivity descreases with age, just a little low with your maximum frequencies
TheTallOne
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Mad Vlad)
I can hear up to ~21.5kHz. You're right that hearing sensitivity descreases with age, just a little low with your maximum frequencies
:eek:

Did a test on Audacity and my max frequency is between 17.5-18kHz...with laptop speakers.

Anyway, I've spent many a Physics lesson listening to high pitched tone.
Mad Vlad
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by TheTallOne)
:eek:

Did a test on Audacity and my max frequency is between 17.5-18kHz...with laptop speakers.

Anyway, I've spent many a Physics lesson listening to high pitched tone.
Probably couldn't deliver a higher frequency hehe. There's various little flash sites out there that are quite good for testing your your hearing sensitivity.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (154)
27.55%
No (405)
72.45%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise