Should you automatically choose the Uni thats higher on the league tables? Watch

tayalouise
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
This question isn't really for me personally, but I'm interested

Out of your 5 University choices, if you had offers from all, would you automatically use the one thats highest on the league tables as your firm?

I have a feeling my boyfriend is going to do this, but I feel like he should look closer into the courses etc. before just going for it
Or do you think it doesn't really matter, because its bound to be the best one if its higher than the others?

Edit : He is applying for Politics and International Relations at Loughborough, York, Southampton, Sussex and Oxford Brookes
QuantumTheory
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'd be in the place I'd like to live for three years.
ILIGAN
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
You shouldn't have to base your decision on league tables wholeheartedly. You must know how to interpret them because they were compiled with the use of several criteria. For example, Imperial is about 2 or 3 places above Warwick in the general table. But for the top students, the scholars and many respected professors, they would rate Warwick higher than Imperial for maths.

Then you also have to check out the university set-up and its environment. you may find LSE highly respected but you really don't want to study in London. Would you be willing to sacrifice convenience for a slight edge in brand recognition? and etc.
footballcrazy12
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Many people do this, its entirely retarded thing to do.
ClaireHogben
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
absolutely not. pick the place thats best for you as the individual
sidewalkwhenshewalks
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
ive just chosen the one at the bottom of the league table over one that was practically at the top
cos I'm awesome
RightSaidJames
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
No, of course not. I visited Bristol and hated it, so picked Cardiff as my firm. Visit both, and pick the one you like the best. League tables mean squat on an individual basis..
cpj1987
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
League tables are essentially useless; you should do your own research.
Andylol
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
No.

Preferences > League table
tayalouise
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Thats exactly what I thought
He wants to do Politics and International Relations, which I would think is pretty important to get the right University for as I've heard its quite competitive
Oxy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
No it isn't but i can see why he's tempted to do it?...Isn't everyone? More about the course and what suits him as hes gonna live there for 3+ years. Maybe have a chat with him and your concerns?

Then again if hes not really fussed at all, then i guess it wouldn't matter where he went.
DealerG
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
location and where they are for the type of course you're doing imo. Accomedation too.
SoapyDish
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'm sort of in that position, got an offer from Cambridge and UEA (same offer, both AA). The course at UEA has a year abroad, plus you can do modules in other subject areas to count towards the final degree. But Cambridge...well, it's Cambridge. Graduate prospects would be (I assume) MUCH better with a Cambridge degree than a UEA degree.
I'm flummoxed. Going to wait until the results from my January modules, since I've also applied for a course without a year abroad at UEA, for which the offer is BB.
TheBrightShadow
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by cpj1987)
League tables are essentially useless; you should do your own research.
i think league tables are part of the research, i doubt everyone knows all of the unis in the country, the league table as 99% of them...also i i ididnt know the academic reputation of unis such as Birmingham, Manchester or Nottingham before applying since i hadnt grown up in an environment where education was highly regarded, so theyre not entirely useless.
if you want to go to uni just for an education then look at the tables, and even if you do theres not much difference between every group of 5-8 unis in a row.
but in all honesty everybody wants a decent job after uni, right? so do look at academic sides of it, illustrated partly on league tables but also see if the place is livable like everyone else has said.
im so academic
Badges: 13
Report 9 years ago
well, you got to admit, which one would you prefer Cambridge v South Bank?

anyone that says South Bank wholeheartedly, will have me to mess with..
TheBrightShadow
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by RightSaidJames)
No, of course not. I visited Bristol and hated it, so picked Cardiff as my firm. Visit both, and pick the one you like the best. League tables mean squat on an individual basis..
what didnt you like in bristol ? :eek:
ali_bath
Report 9 years ago
No.

I've applied to (in the order they rank)

Manchester
Aberystwyth
Swansea
Nottingham Trent
Plymouth

I have unconditional offers from all but Manchester who are yet to reply (not too hopeful for an offer from them). If I don't get an offer from them I'm going to Plymouth and even if I get an offer from Manchester, Plymouth may still win.

You have to consider the actual course content, location (campus/non campus?, big city/little city etc). For me, Plymouth seems like a more suitable course and I LOVE the location.
adilmorrison
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I didn't... Warwick is ranked slightly higher than UCL, but I preferred the course at UCL and I wanted to be in London...
cpj1987
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by TheBrightShadow)
i think league tables are part of the research, i doubt everyone knows all of the unis in the country, the league table as 99% of them...also i i ididnt know the academic reputation of unis such as Birmingham, Manchester or Nottingham before applying since i hadnt grown up in an environment where education was highly regarded, so theyre not entirely useless.
if you want to go to uni just for an education then look at the tables, and even if you do theres not much difference between every group of 5-8 unis in a row.
but in all honesty everybody wants a decent job after uni, right? so do look at academic sides of it, illustrated partly on league tables but also see if the place is livable like everyone else has said.
The league tables don't tell you much/anything about the courses either though.
TheBrightShadow
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by cpj1987)
The league tables don't tell you much/anything about the courses either though.
you do get specific subject tables
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (181)
27.47%
No (478)
72.53%

Watched Threads