Turn on thread page Beta

TV License investigation watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Ok, I just received a TV license investigation letter through the post- when I have a TV license.

Problem is, when I ordered the TV licence it never came through electronically or via paper mail. I do however for some reason, have the TV licence payment reference number. Are they in a position to fine, if I dont have the licence but do have proof of payment?

ReputationRep:
    I don't have a license and apparently i've been under investigation....along with the other 2000 people in my building for the past 6months. i wouldn't worry too much.. maybe just get proof from the bank if you're worried that you paid it?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    If you have a payment reference number, and the money has come out of you bank account (and you have proof via a bank statement) you've got nothing to worry about.

ReputationRep:
    Surely you wouldnt have a payment reference number if the transaction wasnt successful? I suppose thats more the question really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miss_Scarlett)
    Ok, I just received a TV license investigation letter through the post- when I have a TV license.

Problem is, when I ordered the TV licence it never came through electronically or via paper mail. I do however for some reason, have the TV licence payment reference number. Are they in a position to fine, if I dont have the licence but do have proof of payment?
    Legally, yes. However I can't imagine them actually taking you to court for that, and if you did end up in court on it, I can't imagine you'd actually get fined for it. TV Licensing cannot issue fines.

Phone them and find out why it hasn't been sent out.

You do realise, though, that these letters they send are all just computerised and don't actually mean you're being 'investigated' by anyone, yes?

Surely you wouldnt have a payment reference number if the transaction wasnt successful? I suppose thats more the question really.
    The fact that you've paid money for something doesn't mean it has actually been issued.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper

Not neccessarily - for example the money may not have cleared from your bank account (insufficient funds, incorrect bank details etc). It's best to have another form of proof of payment as well as the reference number, just to be on the safe side.

If I were you, I'd phone them and ask why you haven't recieved a copy of your license yet and they'll most likely ask for your reference number and be able to help you from there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    Legally, yes. However I can't imagine them actually taking you to court for that, and if you did end up in court on it, I can't imagine you'd actually get fined for it. TV Licensing cannot issue fines.

Phone them and find out why it hasn't been sent out.

You do realise, though, that these letters they send are all just computerised and don't actually mean you're being 'investigated' by anyone, yes?

The fact that you've paid money for something doesn't mean it has actually been issued.
    I thank you for your response, and I apologise if I am incorrect but I denote an unecessary condescending tone.:p:

Ok, well it wouldnt be due to insufficient funds are incorrect details, as I have the print screen preview saved as a text file. I rang them up and they just said to send them a copy of the appropriate bank statement and the ref number. Can't get on bloody internet banking right now either, annoyingly. Ah well, can wait til tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    I thank you for your response, and I apologise if I am incorrect but I denote an unecessary condescending tone.:p:
    That's the wrong use of 'denote'.

Ok, well it wouldnt be due to insufficient funds are incorrect details, as I have the print screen preview saved as a text file. I rang them up and they just said to send them a copy of the appropriate bank statement and the ref number. Can't get on bloody internet banking right now either, annoyingly. Ah well, can wait til tomorrow.
    Tell them they're useless.

ReputationRep:
    Just check that the money has went out. You can sometimes get blips and get reference numbers when payment has not been received or maybe you did not put in the correct details?
    Dont worry about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    That's the wrong use of 'denote'.

Tell them they're useless.

Yes they are useless.

If it were a grammar competition, then that would be a well done for you...but clearly it's not, therefore the relevance of your correction is zero.

Besides I'm a medical student, not an English student :p:

ReputationRep:
    Yes they are useless.

If it were a grammar competition, then that would be a well done for you...but clearly it's not, therefore the relevance of your correction is zero.

Besides I'm a medical student, not an English student :p:
    Grammar should concern us all, and equally if you are a university student your education ought to be universal rather than specific.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    Grammar should concern us all, and equally if you are a university student your education ought to be universal rather than specific.
    Grammar does concern me, but usually in essays or an academic piece of writing, not a TSR post. Though I do do my best to try to avoid general errors, it is somewhat difficult whilst typing on TSR, researching on the British National Formulary and drinking tea -to achieve all three effectively at the same time.

In addition, the incorrect use of denote can hardly be described as the worst grammar mistake ever noted on TSR. I, for one have seen much worse; be thankful it wasn't in text language!

ReputationRep:
    be thankful it wasn't in text language!
    I thank my God every day that text-speak is banned on TSR.

ReputationRep:
    The TV Licensing "Authority" are nothing but a bunch of thieves.

**** 'em.

ReputationRep:

I had no end of trouble with the incompetent morons at TV licensing.

I had numerous computer generated threatening letters even though I had a licence. On the same day, I actually had an apology letter from them for the threatening letters confirming I did indeed have a licence and a further computer generated threatening letter! :rolleyes:

When the TV licence man eventually knocked on my day - he wished he hadn't. :p:

ReputationRep:
    yes!! You could get fined if you don't pay your tv licence!! (apparently) it says n the letter

ReputationRep:

Exactly the same as me! Ring them up tell a human to send it again as you did not recieve it. :] Then i got mine.

ReputationRep:
    Just ignore them. If you have any kind of porter controlling who enters your building, he'll just turn the inspectors away (they have no right to enter without permission), and otherwise you can turn them away yourself.

ReputationRep:
    Just phone them up.
    They are very useless though..
    They had 2 addresses for my one apartment in their database so even though I had a TV licence for it, I still got letters thorough saying I didn't. I emailed to let them know though and they deleted the other address from their database.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kriscs1)
    Just phone them up.
    They are very useless though..
    They had 2 addresses for my one apartment in their database so even though I had a TV licence for it, I still got letters thorough saying I didn't. I emailed to let them know though and they deleted the other address from their database.
    Always deal with TV Licensing = BBC in writing. ***EDITED:, if at all.

Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.