Economic Prediction 2014 - Who can afford this car? Watch

Spadez
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Hi guys,

I’ve been asked this question by one of the most expensive car producers in England as part of a uni assignment, and i was wondering if I could get some input (as my course is not related to Economics).

The Question: Who would be able to afford one of our cars (~£150k) in 2015.

I guess the state of the economy in that year must be considered, as well as the wealth of different countries and the kind of people who will be able to afford it.

What is your take on this? Would anyone be willing to share their opinions?
Dave_McDougall
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
since the cars price will rise roughly probably in line with inflation, I would say roughly the same amount of people
Spadez
The factors I think they want me to consider relate to the change in economy. For example will China be a dominant super power by 2015? Will this make them more likely to buy the cars?

Who in other continues will be doing finantially well enough in 2015 to afford a car at this price?
Nonsmoking
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
We don't know what the economy will be like next year, let alone in six. Why not build a car that will appeal to lots of different people? Say it's specially adapted to the uncertainties of modern life.
Spadez
It is meant to just be a prediction though.

"Who will the new consumers of luxury be?"
Consider nationality, lifestyle, politics, demographics, views on social acceptability.
Fen
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Be able to afford? People who have saved money over the years.
Spadez
A plumber can save all his life and he wont have enough money.
Shekstar
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
if it stays at 150k, then quite a few!
if rises in line with inflation, probs as many as before credit crunch - economy should have recovered strongly by then
Fen
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
True, but a person with a decent income who is strict with his/her spending can easily raise 150k over the years.

The problem is that even if that person would be able to afford the car, spending several+ years' worth of savings on a car wouldn't be quite right.
MeAndBubbles
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Just pricing a car at 150k won't sell it, or having a big name either if it's old fashioned. Didn't Rolls Royce struggle the last decade?
indian_george_soros
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by MeAndBubbles)
Just pricing a car at 150k won't sell it, or having a big name either if it's old fashioned. Didn't Rolls Royce struggle the last decade?
Rolls Royce, sales figures were up last year... the answer to your question.. significantly less people.. relate it to the credit crunch as people will be made unemployed.. the wealth affect also plays.. house price fall less confidence in consumer less likely to purchase luxary goods..
Apagg
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
China and India are growing fast, but not that fast. The high end Chinese and Indian incomes (excluding the super wealthy who number in the dozens) are around the American median. There might be a few more super rich by then, but I can't imagine the customer profile changing too significantly just yet, especially in light of the current economic downturn which is likely to cause stagnant or negative growth
President_Ben
Badges: 13
Report 9 years ago
Me?
lodzinski
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Depends. The market within europe for High luxury vehicles will stay pretty much the same, and will not see significant growth. you will have the same people - city boys, crooks, lucky people, the odd grafter, and footballers, tv stars etc buying these vehicles. Export markets in Russia, the emirates and S.E asia are growing, and the lack of a presence of established luxury car brands makes the market likely. As 3rd/2nd world nations get richer, the rich get very rich. Evident in oligarchies like Russia. Oil will still be a big player in 6 years time, so oil rich states will be an obvious market, and generally anyone who can exploit an emerging market for something.

Personally I don't think the market will change much in this time, Its barely the life cycle of the average luxury car!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (117)
80.69%
Leave (28)
19.31%

Watched Threads