Best Uni for languages? Watch

rehabdoll
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Seeing as I has sent off my UCAS already, obviously, I am not asking for advice on a Uni to choose. Merely curious as to what people think the best uni's are (uk) for languages??
Anatheme
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
You can have a look at the unis with a strong reputation for Modern Languages in this thread, and I would classify the following unis as the best for languages:

Birmingham
Bristol
Cambridge
Durham
Exeter
Leeds
Manchester
Nottingham
Oxford
rehabdoll
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Hey thanks I wasnt sure if a thread like this had already been made..
jonnythemoose
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Anatheme)
You can have a look at the unis with a strong reputation for Modern Languages in this thread, and I would classify the following unis as the best for languages:

Birmingham
Bristol
Cambridge
Durham
Exeter
Leeds
Manchester
Nottingham
Oxford
:sigh:
Anatheme
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by jonnythemoose)
:sigh:
AND SOUTHAMPTON OF COUUUUUURSE

Sorry, I totally forgot it. And Edinburgh/St Andrews too, tbh. :awesome:
Joanna May
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
UCL
Durham
Edinburgh
Bristol
Oxbridge
Exeter

There are other goods ones, but I think they're the best. But everyone who answers here will be biased!
jonnythemoose
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I don't know how anyone our age can give a list of the best universities in any context whatsoever...I mean, I know bugger all about Durham, Bristol, Warwick etc., as I didn't really look into them for my application...and even if I did, it's not like you can get such a concrete impression from going to a couple of open days, reading a prospectus and seeing a couple of league tables :erm:
Anatheme
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by jonnythemoose)
I don't know how anyone our age can give a list of the best universities in any context whatsoever...I mean, I know bugger all about Durham, Bristol, Warwick etc., as I didn't really look into them for my application...and even if I did, it's not like you can get such a concrete impression from going to a couple of open days, reading a prospectus and seeing a couple of league tables :erm:
True, but I suppose the OP just want a general idea. I love the fact that you can study zillions of languages at Manc, tbh, but some unis are stronger than Manc for languages like French or Spanish.
thats_attractive
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Cambridge :love:
But that's probably biased :p:

From what I've heard Southampton and St Andrew's are both wicked for languages.
Also, unis are going to be better at some languages than others. For example, Durham is ace for French and German, but apparently their Italian department is a bit iffy. :eyeball:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (232)
27.46%
No (613)
72.54%

Watched Threads