The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

calvinuk
In the future the biggest cause of all wars will be water.

so true
Reply 21
Nah its 'belief/ideology'... World War II - caused by political belief/ideology not religious faith.
Reply 22
people can have morals without religion such as murder is wrong..
Tom Jones
he did hate jews see religion again

He hated them as he saw them racially inferior, not cause they don't go out on Saturdays....
Reply 24
azhao
Don't think he started the Second World War because he hated Jews.

He did use it on his political campaign blaming them for Germans bad economic state among other thins
meh wars...
does war even solve anything? no country can even 'win' a war...

religion? u cant call that a cause of all wars...
jews?? Omg! WAR!!
Reply 26
Tom Jones
He did use it on his political campaign blaming them for Germans bad economic state among other thins
Among other things, exactly, not the cause but one of the factors maybe, albeit a very small factor.
Tom Jones

=/= cause of war
Tom Jones
yeah it was the Christians try to "Save" the "savages" by imposing there religion on them they didn't like it = Zulu war

Wasn't the whole of British colonialism founded on White man>Black man. Religion was only one factor in this.
Reply 29
i agree that world war 1/ 2 was politically started but if you look at history a lot of wars have been justified by religion, this is more the religious figure reading into the "holy book" i admit but it is religion non the less that caused them
J-E-N-O-V-A
Overpopulation and lack of resources causes war.

It leads to jealousy.

Which leads to hate.

Which leads to war.

which leads to pain,

which leads to suffereing,

which leads to the dark side.
Reply 31
greed
Reply 32
calvinuk
Nope.

How so?
I would argue that the only reason religion has caused those wars is because it was the driving force behind everyone's lives up until very recently-the past couple of hundred years or so. Religion used to be the most important thing in the world for most people, so of course it led to conflict. Nowadays, it is less important, and thus it will cause fewer wars. Eventually, there will probably be a time that most wars are caused by other factors (the beginnings of this can be seen in the wars of the 20th and 21st centuries: WWI-imperialism; WWII-ideology; Cold War (encompassing Korea, 'Nam etc)-ideology. I predict that this trend away from religious wars will continue.
when it gets taken to far then, when you look back in history you can sort of, then you get people with the extreme views
calvinuk
Nope.

Indeed, could certainly be true,

Although it is much better to say the want for resources in general, whether it was the building of the British Empire or the Japanese going to war with the Dutch Empire in WWII over oil (main reason, Britain was still a threat and would declare war anyway and US Pacific fleet posed the most immediate threat to the IJN) in South East Asia. Germany was looking for lebensraum (Living space) hence the invasion of Russia.

To some extent rather than religion you should say a clash of ideologies also cause wars. Now for example this would include the Cold War (and the proxy wars through that period) as a clash of the ideologies of Communism and Capitalism.
Pavlik
It's just a childishly simplistic saying. I have no time for 'religion is all good' or 'religion is all bad' (although I hear a lot of the latter, v. tiresome especially when coming from a supposed intellectual like Richard Dawkins).

I agree. Richard Dawkins bores me with his rantings:tongue:
Reply 37
chazsvp
...but if you turn this around, one could say that without religion things would be a whole lot worse.

Laws and principles are derived from our parents, or from society, and ultimately come from teachings in the Bible at some point. Without rules such as 'Do not kill' or 'everyone is equal' etc, with the fear of God added to the mix, don't you think the world would be a worse place to live in if it didn't exist at all?

Without Religion and the objective, perscriptive moral codes it provides there is no valid reason to be moral. If you try to say there is, any humanist can shoot you down.
chazsvp

Laws and principles are derived from our parents, or from society, and ultimately come from teachings in the Bible at some point.

Er no they don't. What of societies which outlawed murder etc, before they'd even heard of Christianity? Laws don't ultimately come from the bible at all, some do in some countries but not all.
I love the Christian-centric views of a lot of people in here. Morals didn't come from the Bible guys...:rolleyes:

Latest

Trending

Trending