Turn on thread page Beta

Exercise Hurts!? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Dang. Yesterday, I decided to, well, exercise. Not really to lose weight or anything (I am 5.8 feet, 200lbs) but just to stretch and kinda strengthen my body.

The bottom line is, I just did like 20 squats before I gave up. And ever since then, my legs have been killing me :sigh: It hurts to walk, climb/descend the stairs, even stretching my legs hurt!

Have I done some permanent damage?

Damn this sucks.

ReputationRep:
    Lol, no, no permanent damage, it's just the lactic acid being released.

ReputationRep:
    That's called using your muscles.

You haven't done permanent damage lool.

ReputationRep:
    Agh. If that is using my muscles, I am never going to do that again :sigh: lol

How long should I wait before I make another attempt at this...tortu...I mean, exercise?

ReputationRep:
    Till the soreness goes away. Man up lol, your 200 lbs, start acting like it :p:

ReputationRep:
    I find it often hurts even more the second day after major exercise. :p: The third day is usually fine though and it'll get better when you get fitter.

It's called DOMS - Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness. It's thought that your muscle fibres get microscopically damaged during exercise (it's not due to lactic acid as it's broken down pretty quickly - it causes pain during exercise but not after.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meltdown30)
    I find it often hurts even more the second day after major exercise. :p: The third day is usually fine though and it'll get better when you get fitter.

It's called DOMS - Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness. It's thought that your muscle fibres get microscopically damaged during exercise (it's not due to lactic acid as it's broken down pretty quickly - it causes pain during exercise but not after.)
    But it has been more than a day and my legs are killing me :shifty: .

ReputationRep:
    I meant that your pain isn't being caused my lactic acid as it's broken down soon after exercise. That's why you keep breathing deeply when you've finished exercising - it converts the lactic acid back to something useful.

The pain is the DOMS thing and it'll go away in a few days.

ReputationRep:
    take a bath, it should relax your muscles. And when you do it again try some gentle stretching exercises to cool your muscles down afterwards. But seriously take a long hot bath, it should help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aura1947)
    Dang. Yesterday, I decided to, well, exercise. Not really to lose weight or anything (I am 5.8 feet, 200lbs) but just to stretch and kinda strengthen my body.

The bottom line is, I just did like 20 squats before I gave up. And ever since then, my legs have been killing me :sigh: It hurts to walk, climb/descend the stairs, even stretching my legs hurt!

Have I done some permanent damage?

Damn this sucks.
    so you bodybuild?

ReputationRep:
    no pain, no gain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hi hello hey yo)
    so you bodybuild?
    Nay, bodybuilding is really not my thing. I don't really know how to say this, I just want to increase my stamina.

It gets kinda embarrassing when I get all out of breath just going up a flight of stairs :/

ReputationRep:
    Nay, bodybuilding is really not my thing. I don't really know how to say this, I just want to increase my stamina.

It gets kinda embarrassing when I get all out of breath just going up a flight of stairs :/
    That's called getting FITTER.

ReputationRep:
    Your Hurting and all you did is 20 Squats?

First of all, No it is not permanent damage it is only Lactic Acid building up giving your muscles temporary damage. However, you should be working out much more to get a Good Lactic Acid Muscular Build/Fat Burn.

The Muscles in body are Hurting because I did a full work-out which included...

100 Skips to Warm up, Stretch, 3 min Jog, 3 min Cross Trainer, 3 min Exercise Bike, 3 min Sit back Exercise Bike, 3 min Rowing Machine, 3 min Jog, 500 Sit ups, 3 min Jog, 5 x 2 min rounds Boxing, 50 Shoulder Press, 50 Seated Chest Press, 50 Seated Row, 50 Pull Downs, 50 Chest Press and then 3 Round of Boxing Sparring, Stretch to Cool Down...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *MJ*)

First of all, No it is not permanent damage it is only Lactic Acid building up giving your muscles temporary damage. However, you should be working out much more to get a Good Lactic Acid Muscular Build/Fat Burn.

100 Skips to Warm up, Stretch, 3 min Jog, 3 min Cross Trainer, 3 min Exercise Bike, 3 min Sit back Exercise Bike, 3 min Rowing Machine, 3 min Jog, 500 Sit ups, 3 min Jog, 5 x 2 min rounds Boxing, 50 Shoulder Press, 50 Seated Chest Press, 50 Seated Row, 50 Pull Downs, 50 Chest Press and then 3 Round of Boxing Sparring, Stretch to Cool Down...
    *gulp*

ReputationRep:
    *gulp*
    Lol...it was hard work but I actually wanted to do more...

I wanted to do some manual weights as all the weight lifting listed above was with the machines. The reason I didn't is that my Friends wanted to do some sparring so I thought I would join them and by the time we finished I was a bit tired and plus the gym closed...

So next time I will do all that again and manual weight lifting...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hi hello hey yo)
    so you bodybuild?
    I don't think he is a body builder. First of all, he is only 5 ft 8 which in my opinion is a bit on the short side to body build. Secondly, he weighs around 200 pounds so there is likely to be quite a lot of 'bad' fat on his body. Finally, if he gets tired and feels a lactic acid burn after only 20 squats then he is not going to be able to lift 100kg bench press' all day...

So OP, I think you should work a bit harder, improve your fitness and then start body building if that was your intention...

ReputationRep:
    Become a lardass. It's so much more fun.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *MJ*)

500 sit ups :eek: , is that even possible :shifty:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nneka!)
    500 sit ups :eek: , is that even possible :shifty:
    I didn't do it all in one go...

First I did 50, took a break, then another 50, took a break, another 50 took a break and so on. It is not possible to do all the exercise I have listed above without breaks or water or a towel so this is what I take to the Gym with me...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 28, 2009
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.